Thread: Shingles

Default Shingles

My DB mother has just found out she has shingles. Now I don't know much about this, but should I be concerned being around her? Are shingles contagious?

She has not started her medication yet as it is coming from interstate. I can't ask her as DB and I don't want to tell anyone yet.

Hope someone can help!

carmen Guest

Hi

When I went to the Doctor at 4 weeks, I told her that I had been exposed to Chicken Pox through someone at work. She said that I should be ok since it was before the Christmas break and I hadn't seen her for a few weeks but that when I went to see the obs, he might want to do a blood test to check my immunity levels.

I would suggest that you call your medical practitioner and see whether a similar test can be done for shingles?

Have you previously had Chicken Pox?

Hope that helps - I know that shingles is caught after a person has already had chicken pox so hopefully some of the information I have given is right.

Let me know how you go

Good luck

Carmen

Thanks Carmen!

I have had Chicken Pox. I believe that you can't actually catch anything from Shingles unless you have direct contact with them. Such as rubbing your hands on it and then putting it to your face.

Because I have had Chicken Pox I should be okay I just thought maybe it might be different because of being pregnant. I have to call the dr this afternoon to check out my blood tests so I will ask then.

Orkids Guest

Shingles is in the same family of virus's as Chicken Pox, Coldsores and even Glandular Fever, but they are different virus's so I wouldnt think having had Chicken Pox would offer any immunity. They're supposed to be spread by exchange of body fluids only. I wouldnt worry to much, although you might want to ask a proffessional!! I dont know if this applies to Shingles, but with the other members of this family of virus's you can get a urine test done to see if you have the IGg & IGm anitbodies, indicating you just got infected or if you have long term antibodies.

hey,
    I've never had the chicken pox, and it was strange because even though i havent ahd them when josh had them last year in june (had them very early) i was still cuddling him and bathing him, giving him kisses so was in very close contact and still i didnt catch them.. i get loads and loads and loads of coldsores though so maybe that makes up for not aving chicken pox? :-k

Melinda Guest

I know you can't get chicken pox twice and basically once you've had it, the virus is always in your system, it just lays dormant or something. If it resurfaces, it does so as shingles, which is considerably worse and more painful, as it is the inflammation of a nerve, or so I believe (don't quote me!).

As far as I knew, you couldn't catch shingles from somebody like you can chicken pox, but I'm not 100% certain. I'd definitely ask the Doc about that one to be on the safe side.

Lesley - as for your thing about coldsores, I have been told that cold sores (don't get grossed out or anything here) are actually part of the herpes family of virus. Like chicken pox, the virus lays dormant in your body and quite often resurfaces when people are stressed, run down etc. It's a different thing to chicken pox, but works in a similar way IYKWIM.

Jen Schuster Guest

Yeah - Shingles is the adult version of Chicken pox. The virus is of the herpes strain and lays dormant in your system until it is reactivated as shingles - usually alot more severe and painful. It tends to attack people that are older due to their immune systems not necessarily being as strong as it used to be and people who are run down. It is very common in nursing and old peoples homes unfortunately.

The blisters would be contagious so if you do visit I would make sure I washed my hands thoroughly before eating or touching your face - even if you do not have direct contact with her places such as doorhandles she has touched may be infected and pass it on to you.

Take care iris and I think you can never be to cautious with things like this.

Love Jen

ragged_blossom Guest

I caught chicken pox from my first kiss :smt008

How romantic!

:smt060 :smt112

:-# We both had braces on our teeth and the boy in question never kissed another girl and is now very much gay! LOL - he was probably too scared to kiss another girl after all that! :smt118

Hmmm... I think I may be a freak of nature... I had chicken pox when I was 2, 6, and 11 with it not being as bad each time! The last time it was only a few spots on my belly with a medium temp.... I did have a weak immune system though and an endocrine disease as a youngster.... I'm all good now, but when I was young I was a very sick sausage....

Christy

ragged_blossom Guest

Christy,

I've met a few people that have in fact had chicken pox more than once. I've also had rubella (german measles) and mumps more than once. It does happen, contrary to popular belief.

macymilton Guest

Default Re: vygone

check out about the new vygone zapper in youtube. It worked for me. It stops the pain after several treatments. Has anybody else tried it?

yes they can be but you get chickenpox
    my uncle had them on his face years ago and it looked like he had a huge fight with a boxer thats how bad they were my 3 kids ended up with chickpox the 2 girls didnt have them that bad but boy did my son he was covered from head to toe with them and to this day my uncle keeps saying how he gave them chicken pox and he still has trouble with them
    sarahxxx