Thread: Thinking of getting the flu vax this year

Matryoshka Guest

Default Thinking of getting the flu vax this year

I've had the flu the past 2 years, and i just can't afford to physically have it again because i'm still recovering from really poor health of last year. So although i'm not keen on unnecessary vaccinations, i really think getting the flu shot is worth a try in preventing at least one or some of the severer flus.

Does anyone else get this or getting it this year?

Matryoshka Guest

anyone???

the flu shot is and isnt good as it only fights against specific strains of the flu.

influenza has many strains, this years is the sam as last years vacciene.

i get it but only because i work in the health industry.

will cost you around 5-20 bucks depending if you have a health card or not.

also it is very common to get the flu within 2 week of having it as its your body's way of building the immunity and then preventing you from getting it last year.

Matryoshka Guest

Yeah but i'm figuring to prevent at least some, even just one or two strains is better than none right?? is the flu you get within 2 weeks of having it debilitating??

It's just that i have been literally bedridden for 10 days the past 2 years that i've had it, and my dh hasn't got anymore leave that he could take if i get sick again this winter.....

I guess i hope its worth it?

varies form person to person, but generally no
    its just slight snuffle congested in teh ehad feeling and runny nose.

havent had anyone to sick where they couldnt function in every day.

i agree preventing some strains is better than none. but people get it done and arent aware that it is only for selected strains, so was just giving you the correct information

I am considering it, and want to get DS done too... DH gets it for work... So I think we will all have it this year...

we dont usually give it to children under 16

as it is very strong for their bodies to handle.
    there is a peadiatric one, but we dont use it at our practice, best to speak to your GP about it for children.

Oh. I will chat to the Dr when I go in next. Thanks for that.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I have scripts for me, DD and DH which I have to get filled and then we're all going to get our jabs.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    we dont usually give it to children under 16

as it is very strong for their bodies to handle.
    there is a peadiatric one, but we dont use it at our practice, best to speak to your GP about it for children.
    My Doctor has given me a script for my 1 year old and said that kids under 9 years should have it, it must be the peadiatric one.

I won't ever get the flu shot again unless I have a health condition that warrants it. Last flu shot I got, I became unwell (run down, prone to infection, exhausted) and stayed that way for about three months.

I am however going to get Neehee vaccinated when he's old enough before this year's flu season as apparently it's going to be quite nasty and impact heavily on under 5's.

If you're getting it done, aim to get it by Easter (ish) each year. Any later than that and flu season will already have hit, increasing the chance that you could be sick by the time you get the needle, kwim?

I've had it every year for the last 7 years and have never had any problems with it. They change the strain every year so over time (in theory) you're immune to more and more of the (nastier) strains in current circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Toomanytoomany View Post
    I won't ever get the flu shot again unless I have a health condition that warrants it. Last flu shot I got, I became unwell (run down, prone to infection, exhausted) and stayed that way for about three months.

I am however going to get Neehee vaccinated when he's old enough before this year's flu season as apparently it's going to be quite nasty and impact heavily on under 5's.
    Me too!!! And the doctor tried to make me have one this year - argued with me that it cannot and does not make you ill. I know my body and I had a sore throat and runny nose one week on, one week off for the entire winter and spring the year I got it.

Matryoshka Guest

Well i had my shot yesterday, my arm was so sore today i could hardly move it, and i am feeling a bit off.

My Dr said they are highly recommending it for children, and suggested i get the boys done, who are 8.5 months and 2.5 years. She said they are not as well able to shake it as adults but i don't really agree with this, when i had the flu, both times my boys were only mildly sick and recovered quickly. So i'm not going to get them done. And will see how i fair this winter as to whether this is something i get again.

I meant to come back in here and update too... My Dr said not to get my 10mo DS done, but to do both DH and I. He thought it was best to wait till after 12mo ... I got my whooping cough booster last Friday and when i get over the cold I have will go in for my flu shot.