Thread: Treatments you take for any illness (non-conception or preg)

Default Treatments you take for any illness (non-conception or preg)

I thought id start this list incase anyone wanted to share.. you may find other people with something similar, or learn about the effectiveness of medications or treatments.

For about 8 years I have suffered from 'depressive symptoms' (my doctors words, but I guess that sums it up).. with quite a level of severity over the past couple of years. I currently take Lexapro (20mg) which is a selective seratonin uptake inhibitor (considered to be the better form of anti-depressants). This is the first meds for this condition ive been on, and ive been taking them for 9 months, and things are generally okay. I still have a lot of trouble with uni because of it, and ive been having difficulty for the last 5 months because of recurrent infections (which just make you feel crap etc).. anyway.. In my everyday life, only a handful of people know, and my mother only found out accidently. DP is extremely supportive.

Sorry if this sounds strange and clinical.. im kinda tired

K

ps. I have recently also been trying natural therapies to try boosting my immune system.. herbal supplements and probiotics. If continuing probs happen, im considering acupuncture, its meant to be quite effective.

Hiya Kirbay, I dont take the same as you, but am a daily drug taker to ( just not when pg, but I do when BF) I have Multiple Schlerosis, and I inject every day with a drug called copaxone. Its supposed to slow down the effects of MS, I dont find it fun of course, giving myself a needle every day, but oh well I will do anything, if I have a longer life with my kids!
    Its not absorbed by the body through the GI tract ( orally) thats why I have to inject directly into my flesh, and thats why I can take it while BF, as any passed through the milk cant be absorbed by bubs. It can cause birth defects, and thats why I dont take it in pg.

Lee-Ann Guest

Hi Kirbay

I too suffer with an illness, bipolar disorder (mood disorder or otherwise known as manic depressive illness). I'm pg at the mo and I am off all meds. Apparently when pg, bipolar people tend to level out, so I hope that is true. I haven't really had any major probs which has been fantastic and I feel great.

I suffered with severe PND after my two daughters were born (before being diagnosed with bipolar) and was on antidepressants while breastfeeding. Apparently antidepressants are quite safe during pg and breastfeeding.

I do know the meds I was on weren't exactly safe, they can cause congenital heart defects. I did a lot of reading and research before I fell pg.

ness4 Guest

Hi Kirbay,

When I was 20 I had a fall and hit my head, xrays showed a tumour. On closer inspection it was discovered to be on the pituitory gland. I have had surgery and radiation therapy.

The gland was destroyed, as a follow on effect i am not producing hormones (pituitory); my thyroid and adrenal glands aren't being told to work either.

As a result I am now cortisone & thyroxine dependant. I also have to take the pill for hormones (hence the need to go thru IVF).

Ness