thread: Aradale Asylum

Nov 2009
    Scottish expat living in Geelong

Aradale Asylum

Has anyone ever been there for a ghost tour? I went last night and it was one of the strangest, and scariest, experiences of my life.

Mar 2006

oooo I saw your other post about this! I went to J Ward during the day and was utterly freaked out! Not sure I could do it at night!

Nov 2009

I've been to J Ward during the day too a few years ago but the creepiness in the main asylum was utterly magnified by the dark, not to mention the theatrical historian who was spooky in himself and really set the scene.

Oct 2008
    Newport, VIC

I've never been but this post has inspired me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

I've always wanted to do something like that....

Nov 2009

I'm dying for someone who has done the tour to comment, I want to compare spooky experiences lol.

Nov 2010

Never done that one but the old Melbourne jail scared the beejeezuz out of me.

Dec 2008

I'm doing it in a few weeks. I can't wait!

Nov 2009

I'll chat to you after then

Add Butterfly Dawn on Facebook

Aug 2008
    Climbing Mt foldmore

One of the polytechs in Auckland is an old mental institution, and i know afew people been in the basement on early school tours-they don't give them anymore apparently.
    I can't get close to 1of the buildings. The energy is to intense for me.
    How on earth did you handle going inside somewhere that's famous like that? were you not flooded with emotions and energies?

Sorry if it doesn't make sense, the barefoot princess is covering me with kisses

Nov 2009

I didn't expect to be as affected as I was doubletrouble. I have lived in a house inhabited by spirits in the past and thought I would be alright, but I didn't expect the physical pain I got from one room, and the utter terror and feeling of being completely unwelcome in another. Horribly scary the last part was.

Aug 2008
    Climbing Mt foldmore

Intense!
    Physical pain would be a shock. Makes sense I guess though.
    Horrid places those.
    Hope your feeling better now

Sorry if it doesn't make sense, the barefoot princess is covering me with kisses

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

i was going to do the night tour of Mayday Hills (Beechworth Asylum) when my cousins were living near there - but I got seriously bad vibes just walking the dog through the grounds, so decided against it. It had only been a couple of years since it closed as an asylum and was taken over by the uni at that stage, so it felt very much untouched and gave me some seriously bad feelings.

my cousins are both very logical and thought i was nuts, that there was nothing going on, but there were definitely spots even from the grounds where things just felt, i dunno, different

Aug 2008
    Climbing Mt foldmore

I had a friend in nz whos patents house had an old maori pa on their land. Nobody told me and when a group of us went for a walk they went up to show us the site. I have rearly been that uncomfortable. The unwelcome vibes were soooo strong that a few of us ran back to the house. After everbody was back they told us what the place was.
    When they built the house they had to get contractors from a different place cause no locals would work on the property. But, his parents never felt uncomfortable or odd. Terror is too strong but not by much.

Nov 2009

The pain I felt was in my left arm whilst in the surgery of the men's infirmary. I knew this was what the building was before I went into it, and the guide did tell us this was one of the most haunted rooms. However it wasn't until almost the end he said that sometimes people felt pain/pressure in their left arm in this room, and others felt sick (my friend did). we walked into the next room and my pain left but my friend, still feeling sick, suddenly felt headachey and pressure in her eye. You guessed it - this was the lobotomy room!

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

the worst i felt was, according to the cousins, near the infirmary. was overwhelming really - i avoided walking the dog through the grounds after that!

Nov 2009
    Vic

I used to work in integrating people from the asylum into the community after they were moved to J ward, so I have heard first hand the experiences and treatment of the people that resided there. Not surprisingly, alot of the "patients' weren't 'insane'...most had a disability, namely downs syndrome and autism and also alot of elderly with what we now know as dementia.
    I worked very closely with a man who 'worked' in the mortuary at Aradale. He had a mild intellectual disability and did some things that I am sure would have been discussed in your tour.
    How often are the tours Traveller?

Nov 2009

Interestingly the mortuary was one of the most peaceful places in the asylum, probably because everyone there had found peace already.

tours are every Friday and Saturday night, starting at 8pm and they will run a few tours if their is the demand. We were told it would last 2 hours but in actual fact it was more like 3. There are a few companies that do it but we went with Aradale ghost tours and I can certainly recommend them from a point of historical education accuracy as well as the setting the scene. They did go into details of what constituted "insane" which, as you say, was often downs syndrome, depression, or even just the wife of a rich man who wanted rid of you and they detailed some of the treatments. Most of the rooms were very peaceful, there was a few that were overwhelmingly sad and some that were just awful.