Thread: Contraceptive Ring

Cool Contraceptive Ring

*please feel free to move to a better topic Mods*

So what do you all think? I think its a great idea but am a bit concerned about keeping it in place and inserting it correctly?

Also a bit pricier than the pill too--- but great for the women who cant take the pill for other medical reasons!

Basically it produces the same hormones as the pill, but in a lesser dosage and the hormones do not have to be digested and go through the liver etc.

It gets inserted for 3 weeks and then removed for a week which is when you will menstruate...then a new one gets inserted. Alternatively you may "skip" the period by inserting another one at the 3 week mark.

HTH

It looks brilliant to me and really it's the first big improvement in contraception in well over a decade. I'm thinking it will probably best suit those women who have gone thru lots of different (and increasingly more expensive) pills and are still having too many side effects. I was paying >$30 a month for my pill scripts before I fell pg with DD, it was the only pill I felt SANE on but was not on the PBS!

Costs about $25 for each one i think

My FS wanted me to try it for the 4 weeks I had to wait before starting IVF. I chickened out and went with the pill I'd used before as I knew I felt ok on it. He seemed to think it was wonderful, but I felt more comfortable sticking with what I knew.

BW

Yep $25 each one. I would feel a bit weird to start with but keen to try. Although I wont need contraception for a long time!

mummy_in_training Guest

Default trying it now

i cant use the pill either, and i am trying it as i tend to have alot of estrogeon in my body (hormone imbalance) I will be monitoring my body closely, so ill kepp you updatedd.. so far even though i had a natural birth i still find it difficult to get it up there, but then again sometimes i cant get tampons to sit correctly still. I guess it will be practise, ill let you all know, so far so good.

I got given a free sample when i went off the Implanon. So if anyone wants a freeby let me know. It's still in sealed packaging. i like the idea of it too. But would hate to forget its been 3 weeks...

my best friend is now using it after hating the side effects of the implemon, then years of the pill. she LOVES it! HTH

Chalalan Guest

Hi Teagan, I tried to get this new ring contraceptive for travelling with and the doc told me that it wasnŽt possible as it had to remain refrigerated. Dont know how that would affect sending it to someone else to try, but just though IŽd put on my 2 cents worth.

I was never told it had to be refridgerated and it doesnt say anything like that on the packet...

paradise lost Guest

Sounds like hassle to me, mind you that's compared with the Mirena. I love my Mirena! LOL. No oestrogen, no remembering anything for FIVE YEARS, no worries.

Bec

Chalalan Guest

That doesn't suprise me Teagan, the doc also told me to leave my Implanon in and just let it run out for when I wanted to start TTC. I checked on the Family Planning website and you have to get it removed as leaving it in increases the risks of ectopic pregnancy so if it doesn't say on packet it needs to be refrigerated, it probably doesn't! Does anyone else know?