Thread: Multiload IUD

pholmes Guest

Default Multiload IUD

Hi,

I had amultiload IUD inserted in October last year because I have have too many side effects from hormonal contraception. I had no problems for the first 6 weeks, other than a little bit of discomfort for the first few days. However, after about 6 weeks I had terrible cramping which was unbearable. I saw my ob/gyn after 8 weeks and she thought it may have been myy body getting into a normal cycle and adjusting to the IUD, she didnt want to take it out. This cramping continued for another 2 weeks and has gradually settled. Has anyone else had these sort of problems? I have to go back and see my ob/gyn and I am in two minds as to whether or not to leave it in. I have four boys, three in the last four years and she has told me if she takes it out she's putting an implanon in because she doesnt want me back there telling her I'm pregnant again in a couple of months. Any ideas on what I should do?

By the way I dont find her idea/comments about the implanon/pregnant thing offensive, we have a good relationship and she is very honest.

Is a multiload IUD like the mirena?
    There is a big thread about the mirena.
    I'll link it up for you...

ETA - http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/show...01#post1127401

pholmes Guest

Hi,

Its a copper IUD, no hormones, you still get periods and they are heavier for some reason. This is anegative, Im B/F so I've only had two periods since its been inserted but they were really heavy.

I have no idea about the copper ones - sorry.
    What about the diaphram as a non-hormonal option?

I thought the implanon was hormonal. I've heard of a few women have really nasty side effects from it - moodiness, anger problems etc.

The mirena has hormones but not as many as the pill or implanon because they're delivered straight to the site.

pholmes Guest

I havent really thought too much about the diaphragm.

I will probably leave the IUD in because Im sure the implanon will disagree with me, I cant even take the mini pill.

TBH I think my ob/gyn is going for the implanon because she knows Im not going to take the mini pill, she probably thinks I wont use a diaphragm either. I like the fact that I dont have to worry about falling pregnant or looking for condoms etc. Hopefully everything will stay settled as it has been for the last couple of weeks.