Thread: Blood test abbreviations/meanings

Default Blood test abbreviations/meanings

Hey girls,

I had my OB appt this arvo and he gave me a bit of paper to take down to pathology for some blood tests. Mmph in the 'clinical details' box he wrote 'habitual aborter'. Don't ya just love those charming medical terms?! Anyway, was just wondering if someone can help me out with some of the test abbreviations and what they're for (I know someone's probably asked this before, sorry). I couldn't read all of the OB's writing and neither could the receptionist at pathology, so I've just had to take a stab at some of these:

- ANF
    - Lupus ??A/C??
    - Anticardiolip??....?? Antibodies
    - TSH

I'm so sick of being poked with needles. I'm sure they've drained me dry LOL. They took about 8 vials of blood yesterday with the m/c (leaving me with a big red and green bruise on my arm), and 4 1/2 for these tests. The extra 1/2 a vial today was because my vein gave out during the second vial so she had to go searching for another one in my bruised arm Ah well. Next OB appt in 3 weeks to see what the results are.

Thanks girls!!!

Hey Angel,

I'm not much help on the abbreviations....but I do know that my OB has got me taking low dose asprin to help with the anticardiolipin antibodies.

I hope you get some answers after all that poking.....at least then there might be something that they can do for you.

:hugs:

meg Guest

ANF (anti nuclear antibodies), cardiolipin antibodies and lupus anticogulant I think. They are all autoimmune conditions where your body produces antibodies to its cells (or the fetus) and it produces blood clots, so your baby can't grow as well. I am cardiolipin antibody positive and am also taking aspirin next pregnancy.

TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone, which has been some dubious associated with recurrent m/c. Am no dr but do work in health and have access to good info. Let me know if you want more info, we have to keep our drs honest by being on the ball!

Zola, are you low or moderate cardiolipin antibody positive?

Goodluck, its a minefield out there, especially with everything else going on. Take care, Meg

Buggered if I know, Meg

I wasn't in the right frame of mind to take it all in the last time I visited our OB. He did drum into me about the asprin though. I'll have to ask more questions and really listen to the answers next time. I might even give him a call soon and catch up on what I missed last visit. I think i might be ready to hear it now.

Thanks Zola & Meg. Will go and do some net research now so that I know what my OB is talking about next time!! LOL.

I now have a bruise on each arm from all those blood tests. At least they match I suppose LOL Even if I do look like a druggie... :roll:

meg Guest

know what you mean. My fingers went blue and my arm was all tingly.