Thread: Is it hereditary?

Default Is it hereditary?

Can miscarriage be hereditary in families?

Hi Tegan,

thats a very good question, but in my case its not as my mum never had a miscarriage and I have..

Bel

I would tend to say that it wouldn't be hereditary in itself, however there could be other gynaelogical problems (that could lead to m/c) that could be hereditary? If that makes sense?
    I'm really not sure though... that is just my guess...

My mother lost my brother at 33 weeks and neally lost my other brother who was born at 32 weeks. This was due to PROM. Doctors didn't run so many tests as they do today. But I was diagnosed with Incomp Cervix after PROM at 20 weeks. Not sure whether it is just coincedence or a genetic malfuntion.
    Bec

KLH2002 Guest

From my experience, I dont think it is, I asked my doctor the same question, she said it is not hereditary in any way unless there is a genetic abnormality that runs in the family.

The reason I asked her (my GP) was cos my mum had 3 m/c's prior to having me, then went on to have 7 children. I had my daughter and an angel (m/c) and my sisters haven't, none of them have had an m/c.

Although dont quote me on that, I would suggest though that you ask your doctor.

Does anyone else know for certain??

Take Care
    Kristie

Melinda Guest

I don't know for certain either, but from what I know, it's no, m/c is not hereditary.

That said, if there are genetic disorders within the family, then they may lead to m/c.

i agree with Ambah that there may be some other underlying thing that can be hereditary - none of my immediate family have had m/c but my nana had two, two aunts have had one and two respectively and two of my female cousin also have had one each - all fromthe same branch of the family - so who knows...

*TamaraP* Guest

I am the first in my family to have a natural m/c
    My nanna had one but the chair was pulled away from her by my uncle when he was 5. She was 20-25weeks.

My maternal grandmother had one between my mum and her sister and my maternal greta aunt had several and never had any live births. Genetically some things can "skip" a generation, but not too sure if it is genetic or not.

I have never heard any evidence either that mc is hereditry but it seems that the genetic conditions may be!

My mum never had a mc, one of her sisters did though, and none of my nanas or anyone else did, but I did!

Cheers michelle