Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: incomplete miscarriage & curette

annef6722 Guest

Smile incomplete miscarriage & curette

hi ladies
    i've been on a roller coaster ride in the last few days! I've been trying to fall pregant for about 3 weeks. last thursday a car (four wheel drive with bull bar) ploughed into the side of my car, on my way to work. i thought i was ok, but the next morning i woke up with bleeding - like a brown period. after several tests that day, my doctor told me over the phone that i was pregnant, 5-8 weeks -but in danger of miscarrying (so i was pregnant before i started trying - doesn't say much for condoms!). anyway, i went straight to the doctor, and when he looked at my ultrasound results, he said i had an imcomplete miscarriage. so in the space of an hour i went from finding out i was pregnant, to finding out i'd had a miscarriage. i might have to have a curette on monday. have any of you had a curette? i thought it would be a minor thing, but the doctor said i would need a general anaesthetic - that's a bit scary!! after a curette, is it ok to try and fall again, or do you have to wait a few months?
    thanks for reading
    anne

Hi Anne,

I'm so sorry about your rollercoaster ride hon . A curette is done under general anesthetic but it is not a major proceedure or complex. It is generally done as part of day surgery so if you have it done in the morning you *should* be home by lunch time. The proceedure itself takes less than 20 minutes, I've seen it done in 10.
    In regards to TTC again, it's probably a good idea to have a chat to the doc to see what they suggest given your circumstances.

Huge .

MG

annef6722 Guest

thanks Mother Goose,
    its so comforting to know i can log on to bellybelly - all you lovely ladies are so supportive, and have so much information.
    hopefully i mighted need a curette - the doctor said the hospital would decide,
    regards
    anne

Anne,
    I had to have a curette after losing my son Noah in Feb. I chose to have my curette done under epidural, I don't like general and I don't take it very well either. I was awake for the procedure, but because I was crying (emotional after losing my baby) I was given a sedative that put me straight to sleep. I came out of it fine, and was able to eat and drink etc after, but it took a while to regain the feeling in my legs.
    I was advised to wait 2 normal cycles after the D&C before TTC again. I fell pregnant on my 3rd cycle.
    I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that everything gets sorted out for you, and you can start TTC when you're ready.

Anne,
    I am so sorry to hear of your tragic loss. happiness and despair all in one day you poor thing.
    I have suffered through 2 m/cs. i had one curette (D&C) with the first one and ended up having 3 for the second due to complications. All of mine were done as a day procedure under general anaesthetic. I do take a LOOOONG time to recover from GA but a lot of people are up and about within a few hrs. As others have said, the procedure itself should be relatively simple. They dilate your cervix so they can insert small suction instrument and i guess in crude terms "vacuum out" the contents of your uterus. Some people suffer cramping/discomfort much like AF pains afterwards ( I certainly had quite severe cramping but not everyone does) and you will most certainly have some bleeding for approx 2 -3 days or possibly up to 1-2 weeks. This is usually like a lightish period.
    Didn't mean to scare you with too much information but it is good to know what to expect if you do happen to need D&C . Hopefully not although they are not that bad so don't worry too much.
    There is some thought that you are actually more fertile after a D&C although I would still wait at least 1 normal cycle prior to TTC again to let your body recover.
    I hope all turns out ok for you and that you are holding a beautiful bub in your arms very soon. let us know how you are doing. The women here are very supportive.

I've had a few curettes done due to retained placenta after miscarriages. I had mine done under a general and was in and out of theratre most times within 15 minutes. I exerienced no pain just some bleeding afterwards and most times I was out of hospital in a couple of hours to hop into my bed and recover. My heart breaks at all the ups and downs you experienced in one day, I hope you go onto have a healthy pregnancy in the near future. Giving your heart the chance to heal as it is an emotional time
    Bec

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Oh I'm so sorry you have had this devastating experience, lots of to you and good luck.

Anne,
    I am sorry for the rollercoaster you have experienced. I am so sorry for your loss. I can imagine you must be feeling a bit overwhelmed and confused with all that has happened? It must all feel a bit surreal.

A D&C is usually done as a 'day patient'. Most times you will be in and out of theatre within an hour. A general anaesthetic is never an exciting prospect, however the amount of anaesthesia required for this procedure is minimal. You will have a needle inserted in your hand and then the anaethetist will administer the drug/s to make you 'sleep'.
    Once you are 'asleep' the gynaecologist/obstetrician will dilate your cervix and suction out the contents. This is known as a 'suction curette' and is what is usually done for most first term losses. The curettage really only takes about 10 minutes most times. You will wake up in what is called "recovery" which is a room where people recover enough from their anaesthetics so that they can go back on to the ward. It will seem like you have only just gone to sleep. You shouldn't feel too much discomfort in your belly. Some women do experience discomfort but generally this is minimal. You will bleed some pink fresh loss for a couple of days or up to a week or 10 days is also normal.

When you can tolerate fluids and something to eat you will be able to go home. MOst people will tolerate fluids by an hour or so after they return from theatre. This differs for everyone though. Some people feel a little too sleepy and need to 'sleep it off' for a bit and others feel quite okay. A few people will experience some nausea.
    If you have private cover and you would prefer you can ask that you stay overnight if you would feel more comfortable doing that.

After each of my curettes I bled for around 10 days and I had no discomfort at all.

Each obstetrician has their own preference about when to ttc after a d & c. Because you were in your first trimester I would think you will be advised to wait for a full cycle. It is possible and probable that you will ovulate 2-3 weeks after a d&c and then bleed around 14 days after that. I think it's important to be guided by your carer as she/he will know your own individual situation.

So sorry again Anne for what you are having to deal with. Please come back and let us know how you are going. We'll all be thinking of you...

Big Hugs

First of all very very sorry for your loss and I hope that you have lots of caring people around you for support, it sure takes the edge off things. I've had eight D&C's and as Lisa mentioned waiting for two cycles is what I do also, sometimes even longer if I'm not ready to start trying again. Anyway, I hope that things work out for you next time round and this forum is a great place to seek advice and be surrounded with ladies that can relate to you.

Anne i am so sorry to hear of your loss
    It's horrible when you are giving good news and then for them to give you bad news.

I've had one d&c and fell pg straight after only to miscarry again. We then waited 2 cycles and all was well with my next pregnancy.

Some doctors tell you to wait at least 2 cycles before TTC again.

kirsty Guest

I am so very sorry to hear of your recent loss.

Deb has given you some wonderful advice in regards to what to expect from a D&C & there really isn't much I can add to it except my own experience.

I had my D&C late at night after the loss of my 20wk old baby boy, so I had an overnight stay in hospital. Woke up in recovery coughing quite a bit which can be quite common due to the tube down your throat (it stayed a bit sore & scratchy for about a week to 10days afterwards) but once back up in my room on the ward was allowed to sleep it off as much as possible in between my 1/2hourly ob checks for a few hours, then every hour. I did get up to go to the toilet about 5hrs after the procedure & was ok.

Sending you hugs & please know we are here for you whenever you need someone to talk to.

Firstly, I am so very sorry to hear of your loss :hugs:. Secondly, I have been through 2 D&C's - one in January and one in May. Both procedures were day cases, I was home that day. I didn't have any bad pain afterwards - just a bit of period like cramping, and bled for a couple of days afterwards. With my second D&C, I had it done on a Sat morning and i was back at work on Monday morning - it is more so the anaesthetic that wears you out in that first 24hrs than anything. I also just used a heat bag for that mild cramping that I had on the first day. After my first m/c, my Dr advised me to wait one cycle before TTC again. I did, and sadly, miscarried again, so regardless of what the Dr says this time, DH and I are going to wait till the end of the year before TTC again. I hope this information helps.
    Last edited by MelbourneGirl; June 18th, 2006 at 09:18 AM.

annef6722 Guest

Default now pregnant again!!

hi ladies
    still on the rollercoaster!! thank you all for your wonderful replies. one great thing as i go this journey, is knowing i can log on and talk to you guys about any worries i'm having. i don't have an extended family for support (but do have a great hubby and 13year old son), and haven't told many people i'm trying to fall pregnant, so to have you guys for support is fantastic. you are such a goldmine of information & experiences.
    well, i had another ultrasound this morning, that was either to confirm the incomplete miscarriage or presence of a baby - and it showed there is a baby!!! there's a fetal pole, and a heart beat! so i went in expecting there to be nothing, and then have the curette tomorrow - but now i'm pregnant again! i'm a bit wary that i'll still miscarry, but hoping all goes well. i have a fairly constant dull ache in my pelvis on the left side - not sure if its from the car accident/seat belt pulling, or part of the pregnancy?
    thanks again everyone
    love
    anne

Oh wow Anne !!! that is the greatest news !!!
    I have everything crossed that you will have a happy and healthy pregnancy

Lisa

annef6722 Guest

thanks lisa!
    that means my baby is three days younger than yours? all the best for your pregnancy also.
    anne

OM MY GAWD!!!! That is such wonderful news - I am so very happy for you, I hope all will be well with your little bean. Maybe when you had that episode of spotting it was implantation bleeding? Anywho, seeing a heartbeat means you risk of m/c is down to around 5%. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful!!!

Thanks so much Anne... I hope you will come join us in Belly Buddies Feb 1st - 14th We would all love to have you join and and share your pregnancy experience with us

Oh Anne, that's wonderful news!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast