Thread: Loss at 6 wks - what to expect?

Unhappy Loss at 6 wks - what to expect?

I'm just after some information on what I should expect. I am miscarrying at 6 weeks. Apologies in advance for TMI.

Last Thursday I had a tiny amount of pink spotting first thing in the morning and again that night. The next day I had period-like bleeding with a fleshy clot (10c piece sized) in the morning, and another clot that night (maybe 20c piece sized). The following 2 days, light-period type bleeding, and again today (after no bleeding overnight). I've had no physical pain to speak of.

It just seems to me that I haven't even lost the amount that I would in a regular period. And I've had hardly any pain at all - some very very mild period-like pain, but nothing even requiring me to even contemplate taking a panadol. Physically, it's been a bit of a non-event thus far (emotionally is a completely different story). Surely there must be more to it than this? Shouldn't I expect more pain? Shouldn't I expect a lot more blood loss? This was my BABY, surely he/she deserves to go out with more of a bang than a whimper. But maybe this is all completely normal for an early loss? Yesterday, my stupid brain started thinking, just maybe the baby is still okay, some women bleed during pregnancy and everything turns out okay ... but then this morning I took my temp and it was way way down to pre-Ovulation levels, so that hope has been lost.

So, I figure perhaps my body is still retaining 'stuff'?? I don't even know if what would have been my baby is still in me or not. Maybe I will end up needing a D&C or misoprostol after all? I have an appointment booked with my OB for a week tomorrow for another scan to find out if everything has passed and to go from there.

Sorry for rambling and thanks if you got this far. I'm not even sure what I'm even asking here. I think I'm just going a bit crazy. Living in Singapore, I don't have a car so I have to walk everywhere and I'm a bit nervous doing so when I don't know what to expect, and staying home all the time is driving me crazy as all these thoughts just go round and round and round.

Any comments, experiences or thoughts would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Oh bubbaloo -

I am so sorry.

I haven't personally been through this but my best friend has had 3 early m/c recently and each time I have dragged her to the Emergency Room as she was going nutty just 'waiting for something to happen' at home. This definitely helped her feel like she was taking some control over the situation - whether real or perceived.

Sadly, that's the only advice I have to give. Jump in a taxi if need be - at least someone will take a look at you and if nothing else, you'll be offered reassurance that things are progressing normally.

I know I would hate to be pacing at home wondering what to expect and even if you understand the process intellectually, sometimes nothing beats seeing a medical professional face-to-face.

Sorry if this isn't that helpful - I really wish I had a better reply to offer.

S xo

Last week I miscarried, I would have been between about 6 weeks. I did not have any pain (none worth mentioning), bleeding was like a normal period with some tiny clots and one about the size of a 5 cent peice.

My first miscarriage however, I lost the baby at about 7 weeks but carried to 12 weeks (the doctors did an ultrasound at 9 weeks, saw there was no heartbeat but did not seem to care and just left me to go home), when I finally did miscarry at 12 weeks there was alot of blood and very big clots like the size of ummm an arrowroot biscuit (strange thing to compare to I know). I did have bad cramping, like contractions, I also went to hospital but I miscarried naturally, I did not have a D&C.

I know what you mean about convincing yourself that the baby is ok. Since loosing this baby I have been having MS, weeing like a fountain and so so tired. But my temps are also back at pre-o. And my HCG at the last test were only 4.

I think that you may still have most of the blood etc still to come. Maybe visit the gp and see what they suggest. I think your choices are to miscarry naturally or to have a D&C. I personally prefer to miscarry naturally - but I think I am a small percentage that prefer this option.

Good Luck - I know it is such a hard time .

Firstly, I am very sorry for your loss

When I miscarried at 5weeks, I had light to heavy bleeding and was loosing clots like you described (the biggest ones being like a 50cent piece). I had no pain at all and the bleeding went on for about 5 days plus a couple of days of spotting. I went to the dr after it had stopped and got a referral for a scan to make sure my body had passed everything, which it had.

If I were you I would go to your dr and request a referral for a scan. That way you will know if anything is retained or not.

Sorry again and I hope you don't have to go through this again.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I hope, in turn, I'll be able to help others who follow me down this sad road.

I think I might wait it out for a few more days before deciding whether to head back to the doctors sooner than my scheduled appt. I'm not a huge fan of medical intervention unless it's absolutely necessary, so I'm going to just hope that my body figures out what to do. That said, my confidence in my body to do as it's supposed to is a little shaken at the moment.

I'd still welcome more advice or stories of others' experience if any one else has any to share.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by bubbaloo; March 23rd, 2009 at 07:22 PM.

Hi Bubbaloo,

So sorry for your loss. I have experienced three m/c's - at different times and all different outcomes. I will talk about my last m/c as I was about 5 weeks, the same as you.

I m/c at the end of Dec with some small clot passing & then a shortish bleed, minimal cramping. As I had m/c naturally the previous two times, I felt no need to have a d & c. Fast forward a few weeks after the m/c & I was experiencing spotting, mainly brown discharge, but it was starting to bother me. My mum urged me to go the the dr and have a d&C, but I felt there was no need to. I ended up giving in and went to the Dr, who sent me off for Beta HCG test & u/s. Had the bt straight away & called to book in for u/s, but they had closed for the night. Two days later af came, so I didn't bother to book in for u/s. Dr called to say the bt was showing positive hcg levels of over 3,000 (which is consistent with being approx 5 weeks pg) & urged me to have u/s. Had an appointment same day for u/s, which showed uterus was clear but they suspect that could be an ectopic pg and sonographer was recommending me to go for another bt to check hcg levels were dropping, which they were & were at 10 (anything below 10 is considered NOT pg). The time between my u/s & last hcg, I ended up in hospital with severe cramping & I was still spotting. In hindsight a d&C probably would have been best but all in all, I have sought some help from a naturopath and have had another visit from af, so am confident that all is ok now. BTW naturopath confirmed I had a 'low-grade' infection, which was probably a result of retaining 'product'/not m/c naturally properly.

I hope this gives you some information as to what you can do.

GL
    xx

Thanks RhiChiChi for sharing your story. I'll be sure not to miss my ultrasound that I have booked for next Tues and just hope in the meantime, that my body does as it should.

I'm sorry for your losses too.

I'm sorry for everyone's losses.

GL for next Tuesday - please let us know how you go.

Thanks RhiChiChi for your well wishes.

Just to update... I had a scan yesterday, and it seems that there is only a small amount of blood remaining, so I won't be needing a D&C and we have the all clear to 'try again'. So I guess that's a bit of good news amidst the gloom.

Time to try and move forward. Fingers crossed it will be a short TTC journey this time, with a H&H pregnancy, and a H&H baby to follow.