thread: Is there still some hope?

May 2007
    Melbourne

Is there still some hope?

Hi all

I'm after some advice, otherwise I'm going to go crazy with all these things and possibilities going through my head. I think I may be miscarrying but I'm still clinging onto the hope that I may not be, and I'm hoping that some of you can offer your advice or experience.

I got a very faint positive test almost 2 weeks ago when I tested. My LMP was 25 Feb. I tested a further 6 times, the last one being 2 days ago, and they were all positive results. I am/was pregnant.

However, today, at around 10am, I bled. The blood was a brownish red, it was more than just a little spotting, it looked like the start of a period. Of course this alarmed me as during my first pregnancy I had no bleeding at all. I immediately went to the emergency dept at the local hospital. I had an ultrasound and got my blood tested.

The u/s showed a small gestational sack for 6 weeks pregnant (which is what I thought I was), and showed no fetal parts visible. My blood test showed a hcg level of 81, which I was told is low. I am scheduled to have another blood test soon in a few days to test for the hcg level again. In the meantime I was told that as there is no cramping (yet), although I'm still bleeding as I type, it is a good sign.

I asked the DR outright if she thought I was miscarrying. She said that she cannot be sure and that basically I have to wait and see. It's driving me crazy thinking about this all night. I keep thinking of other reasons why the gestational sac may be small for the stage of pregnancy such as maybe I wasn't as far along as I thought I was (FYI, we DTD on 16 March) and also why the HCG level was low, again maybe I'm less far along as I thought. My HcG level seems to be consistent with being 5 weeks pregnant only. I know that it's the rate of the rise of the hcG level which is important and not actually the level itself, so I'll be waiting to do my blood test again a few days, but I guess I'm just trying to justify why my level was so low.

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that the bleeding is not indicative of the start of a miscarriage, but I'm not hopeful . I'm trying to stay positive and trying to hold onto any glimmer of hope, but I think I may be deluding myself. It's been almost 13 hours since I started bleeding, and there is virtually no pain at all. Does this sound like a very early loss/chemical pregnancy?

If anyone has any advice or experience they'd like to share, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 2008
    In a Nice Safe Space

Hi Cherryblossum,

I don't really have anything to add because everything you posted has covered anything I would have said but I wanted to wish you all the best. It must have been a sleepless night for you last night. I hope that your next BT comes back with some good news for you. It's so frustrating when you have to wait for answers. Take care.

Sep 2008
    Sydney

I am praying things will be ok, I know how scary it can be. Big hugs.

Jul 2007
    Sydney

HI Cherryblossom, I have everything crossed for you that all will be ok. My hcg levels didnt rise quickly with my last pgcy, seemed to be lower than alot of others around the same stage as myself, however at 3weeks 4days I had a level of 10. I cannot tell you for sure now as my mind is at a blank, but I believe my hcg results were over 100 at 5weeks but not that much over.
    I also had a u/s at 6weeks but nothing was seen in the sac, (the sac measured smaller in weeks I think out by a week) I also had spotting on and off for a few weeks at around this time too. I really didnt hold out much hope for my pgcy at the time, yet when I had the u/s the following week there was the HB and also pressing up against the sac was a sub chorionic heamotoma which was causing all the bleeding. I was told that until the baby gets bigger than the bleed that I needed to take it easy JIC. Once the baby is bigger it was considered ok.
    I also had the sub chorionic heamotomas with my other DD"s in pgcy too, which I had bled at the beginning.
    I do not want to give you any false hope, that everything will be ok for you but I really hope all will turn out ok. However hope and prayers is what could get you thru these next few days/weeks.
    Hang in there sweety and try and rest. Please let us know how everything goes, I hope you come back with some good news for us. hugs

May 2007
    Melbourne

Thanks guys for your support.

Csab, I will ask the Dr about whether I have sub chorionic heamotoma. The senographer was showing me the blood flow on the u/s around the sac. But she didn't explain what that meant. The vaginal u/s is the worst ever. It was so painful I want to cry.

I've been thinking of other possible causes for the bleeding. I'm now wondering if my breastfeeding my 14-month-old DD has anything to do with it? As in, if I'm breastfeeding, hcG production is reduced because my body thinks that it is not pregnant and therefore produces a period around the time that it is due? Could the bleeding be "breakthrough bleeding": https://www.bellybelly.com.au/pregna...g-in-pregnancy (hope I'm allowed to post this link). Does this make sense?

May 2007
    Melbourne

OK, so I've been tearing my hair out all day, and I'm now getting angry about the lack of answers. When I was discharged from Emergency yesterday, I was told that I'm to wait for the "O &G" (Obstetrics and Gynecology?) clinic to call me to make a time for another blood test. Although it's still early, I still haven't heard anything from them.

I'm just going crazy sitting around at home wondering what's happening. I'm still bleeding (no pain). So in a fit of anger, I tore open the letter in the sealed envelope addressed to the doctor in the O&G clinic. I figure it's my medical record, so I read it. In short, the diagnosis was "threatened abortion". I googled it. It seems 50% of women with threatened abortions end up carrying the baby to term. So I'm hopeful once again.

I highly doubt that I will be able to have a blood test today (Friday already), so the weekend is going to be one long agonizing wait.

Sep 2008
    Sydney

Honey Im sorry they are making you wait. Can you go to a GP or medical centre and get a blood test done there? My doc did HCG tests on fri nights and got them back by early morning so I didnt have to wait long.

May 2007
    Melbourne

Erybery I thought of that, but my family GP is on holidays until next week, otherwise I would've gone today

Last week I had actually booked an appt with her for the first day she comes back from holidays thinking that I was going to tell her the good news and to get a referral for midwifery care at the hospital to give birth

Sep 2006
    Beaudesert, QLD

hey hun

just wanted to send you lots of sticky vibes and hope and pray that this is just a break through bleed.

i had bleeding through out my last pregnancy, it was like a proper period and it lasted for around a week, then more bleeding on and off for weeks, was sooooo scary and very stressful. i had to keep getting blood tests every couple of days to make sure my levels where rising, which they were. i had a scan at 6wks which showed a sac that had nothing in it, my fs was worried that it was not viable. but a few days later when i had another scan, it showed a gorgeous little bubba with a heart beat.

so hopefully everything will work out for you, fingers crossed for you next blood test.

the only advise i can give you while you wait for the next bt, is to relax ( i know easier said then done) whatever is going to happen is out of your control, you have done everything in your power to help this pregnancy along. right now you are pregnant so hold your belly and talk to you belly and enjoy it hun. your doing a wonderful job and if you need to talk or vent or cry, we will be here for you to help you through it.

take care darl and let us know how your going and how your next bt goes

Mar 2007
    outer South East Melbourne

It's so hard to say what's going on. If I were you I'd be seeking out a bulk billing clinic today & getting another HCG BT done. That way you could have results as early as Monday or perhaps Tuesday & then have a better idea of what's going on.

That HCG result is def low. At just after 4 weeks and a few days my successful pregnancy was in the 400's. I've had 3 early miscarriages at around the 5 week mark and none of them involved pain - the last two were 3 days of light bleeding less than a period. With the last one I had low HCG levels. I know this is probably not what you want to hear but I think it's important for you to get a balanced view on what the possibilities are.

I wish you the best of luck with it all, but please don't sit around waiting to hear from the hospital clinic as that could take ages. It's just the most horrendous waiting game waiting to see which way your HCG is going to go & it's best to get BT's done as soon as you can.

May 2007
    Melbourne

The news isn't good. I had another u/s today and they can no longer found the gestational sac. My beta HCG blood result won't be available until tomorrow, but I expect the level would've dropped. I've had a cry on the way home in the car already, so I'm OK atm.

Has anyone had the experience of an u/s not being able to find the gestational sac and then finding it later on? I'm deluding myself further, aren't I? It's so hard to accept. One part of me still want to hold on onto a little bit of hope, no matter how small, until the beta HCG result comes in and definitely confirms that my level is dropping. Another part wants to accept that it's all over, so I can move on.

I'm going to have another cry.

Add NaeNae on Facebook

Sep 2007
    South Gippsland

oh hun,
    It is a terrible thing to go through, I think the lack of gestational sac would be a clear indication in my mind especially seeing that there was one a few days ago of what is going on with your body.
    I hope that things work out for you. big hugs hun x x

Oct 2008
    In a Nice Safe Space

Oh Cherryblossum, I'm so sorry to hear this news. Miracles do happen but I would try not to get your hopes up. Take care.

Mar 2007
    outer South East Melbourne

I'm so sorry they couldn't see a sac.

Sep 2008
    Sydney

Big Hugs, wish I could say something that would make you feel better. xox

Dec 2006
    Gippsland Vic

I'm so sorry, I know how you are feeling, by now the sac should be bigger and most likely a little HB, not the other way, it is really hard I've been through it a number of times, it does'nt matter when you lose a baby it is soul destroying take care, there is always a chance, until you get those last BT results you never know for sure.

May 2007
    Melbourne

I got my blood results today. It was negative. They didn't tell me the hcg level, only that it was negative. There's no more hope left. I was preparing myself for the bad news already, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't holding onto the tiniest amount of hope. My DR said I can start TTC straight away as soon as I get my next AF. I want a bubba more than ever now. Hope the next bubba is a stayer

Thanks very much for all your support and words of encouragement and advice during the last few days. If anything, going through this process (still can't bring myself to say the "M" word) has taught me that the beginning of life is so precious, and oh so fragile. I'll be grieving for the lost hopes and dreams I have for this little one (we were so sure it was going to be a boy), but I'll be fine and will get up again and move on. Thanks again.

Feb 2006
    Newcastle, NSW

Oh sweetie. I am so sorry