Thread: Third D&C and Not Looking Good!

~Sarah~ Guest

Default Third D&C and Not Looking Good!

Well now I'm just really not happy!
    I had D&C number 3 last Thursday and once again everything was looking hopefull...just light bleeding which stopped yesterday...then, Bugger me, this evening it just starts coming out again...bright red and lots of it! I called the hospital and they said i need to come back in tomorrow morning to have an ultrasound and take it from there.
    It's so not fair girls. Why is this happening to me? I lost my Bubba at Christmas time and it's bloody March!
    I know the gynae who did the surgery said the placenta is in deep but this is just ridiculas.
    Has anyone ever heard of such a thing or been through it themselves. I've had enough and I don't understand why they cant fix me.

aaaw i am soo sorry i dont have any answers for you how hard and painfull for you hunnie sending u soo much love and light i really do hope they fix you up really soon ((((((huge hugs))))))

Tigergirl1980 Guest

OMG that's so awful that this is happening to you. I hope they find and fix whatever is wrong very soon.

Take care

Bambi Guest

Oh Hun, We are thinking of you.
    I wish you all the best. And i hope the stupid Dr's get their Arse into gear and fix you soon.

*hugs* Sarah. This has been a terrible thing for you to go through. I hope that it gets sorted out very quickly.

Sarah I'd be finding the best gyno I could at this stage. Seriously it's gone on for long enough. So sorry you have had such a rough trot. :-k

Percy Guest

Oh gosh how awful I agree with KarenM though, get yourself off to another gyno for a second opinion. There could be something else wrong that the D&C's are aggravating.

oh sarah Hun I don't have any answers for you im sorry, but I am so sorry that you are having to go through this for a third time, its bad enough once, please know that we are all here for you and i hope that it all settles down soon for you.

Take care

Shell :flower:

Hi Sarah,

You have been through a terrible ordeal. I am so sorry. This has really dragged out the whole process of grieving and moving on. I can only imagine how frustrated and fed up you must be feeling.

There is a condition called 'placenta accreta'. This very simply is when the placenta imbeds too deeply into the lining of the uterus. The placenta invades the 'myometrium' or the deeper layer of the lining of your uterus. When this happens the placenta doesn't come away as it should and parts of it stay imbedded. Have any of your doctors mentioned that this could be what has happened with you?

I have only ever seen this at full term, but I am assuming that it's possible that it may be what is behind your problems. If this is the case then that would be why there has been so many curettes - which must just be sooo taxing on you.

I hope that your visit to the hospital today can give some answers.

I send lots of love and hugs,
    Deb

~Sarah~ Guest

OK...some news...
    Firstly though, thankyou so much to all you lovely girls! The support is so great for me emotionally!
    Flowerchild~ your diagnosis of me is spot on! Maybe I should get you to treat me...seeing as how the four Gynaes and their boss who are trying to fix the problem dont seem to know their heads from their ar*ses! If ya know what I mean.
    The gynae today said that 'placenta accreta' (also known as trophoblastic disease) is what they suspect I have. I am going back in for another ultrasound on Friday. If the ultrasound looks clear it means that only tiny particles remain which they will kill with treatments of Chemo Therapy. But if anything shows up (more product) they will cut me open (like a C Section) and cut it out of the muscle.
    She said that she was at the D&C they did last week and the Boss gynae who was actually doing it couldn't believe how much he was getting out and said he suspects that it is a case of 'placenta accreta' and product that has grown rather than just been retained. They were contenplating just cutting me open then and there but it was too late after they had started to srape and mixed it all up (sorry way TMI). Once again they were hoping for the best but NO!
    So now that I know I'm not gunna get out of Chemo...has anyone ever had it? What happens to you? All I know is it will be one or two small doses.
    Thanks to everyone once again. You have no idea how much this whole trauma has consumed me and how much I get from all of you...I have spent the whole of 2006 either waiting for or recovering from surgery. I cant wait to have my life back!...oh and a Bubba would be nice too!

Bambi Guest

What a Drama Darl.
    Wishing you all the best and i hope things turn out well for you and you get a bubba in no time.
    Remember you can call me anytime.

Hi Sarah,

I am so sorry this is continuing for you... It sounds like they are getting you some answers.

Trophoblastic disease isn't quite the same as placenta accreta.

The trophoblast is part of the cellular makeup of pregnancy which attatches to the wall of the uterus to become the placenta. Trophoblastic disease covers a couple of things and one of them that you may have heard of is molar pregnancy. With trophoblastic disease the cells keep growing. As they are imbedded deeply into the wall of the uterus they can be difficult to remove completely. While they remain the growth can continue and become potentially much more harmful and that is why chemotherapy is used to kill off this growth.

Usually with trophoblastic disease the hcg levels are still elevated even though the woman is no longer pregnant. Have you had your levels done? If this is what is wrong after your 1 or 2 treatments of chemo you will have regular checks of your hcg levels and that shows if the growth has been stopped. Treatment with chemo can make you feel quite nauseous but medication will be given to you to abate that. The doseage is not huge so you should not feel too awful. The nurses who administer the chemo drugs will wear protective clothing and that can seem frightening to the person on the receiving end! This is because these drugs are very potent.

It sounds like from what you are saying that the doctors feel that there is more growth each time. Is that right?

With placenta accreta once the placenta is removed from the wall of the uterus it doesn't grow back. The symptoms are somewhat similar in that women will continue to bleed and cramp and have the potential to develop infection. This is always the case if any placenta or that awful term 'products of conception' remain. (You are so right. To use that awful medical term is very hurtful to a parent who has lost a much wanted and loved baby.) What is different with true placenta accreta as I said it is when the placenta grows in too far - very simply... So, when a woman births her baby usually the placenta comes away quite easily afterward. With accreta it doesn't as it has grown too deeply and this can cause the woman to bleed excessively after birth. Trophoblastic disease is when something goes wrong early in the pregnancy and even though the sperm meet egg the 'trophoblast' kind of takes over things.

Please please please ask your doctor lots of questions. Write down your questions before you go so you are clear. Keep asking questions until you feel you are understanding what he/she is saying. This is your body and you are the consumer and you have a right to know exactly what is going on. When you are feeling so awful physically and so emotionally worn out by all of this it is sometimes hard to think clearly when you have only 10 mins with a doctor who is using lots of jargon.

I am thinking of you so much and I hope that soon you can begin to heal from this most awful ordeal.

If I can help in anyway please let me know.

Love to you,
    Deb

~Sarah~ Guest

Wow Deb...we are so on the same wave length!
    Your completely right that Trophoblastic disease isn't quite the same as placenta accreta. Apparantly I am just lucky enough to have both...yeah lucky enough to the tune of 1 in 750,000!

The team (as they are now calling themselves) say it's Trophoblastic disease because it is living pre-cancerous retained conception tissue which has blood vessel supply and is growing at a very fast rate, but according to all the path results from all three D&C's it is not a molar. They did suspect a partial molar at first because there was a 8.2 week baby at the ultrasound but no.
    They are also calling it placenta accreta (or in my case Placenta Increta) because it is placenta tissue which lodged/implanted itself deep in the muscle. Anyway..whatever it is I just think they need to get it out of there before it spreads.

I am still in dis-belief about it all telling myself that they will cut me open and find it's not all that bad but then again I have gone into every D&C thinking they wont find anything more in there...and they have been right every time! Grrr.

I also need to stop researching the surgical treatment and mortality rates from this kind of surgery where they cut open blood vessels because it's scaring me stupid! I am in their hands now. And there is not much more I can do than just sit back and enjoy the ride.
    I do feel overwhelmed but well informed and I do make them give me all options and yell at them where possible. lol. I am going to ask on Friday if they can just try the Chemo first without doing the surgery instead of both at the same time.

Thankyou sooooo much Deb. You are being a big help!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Good luck to you Sarah, you will be in my thoughts

Hi Sarah,

Surgery is scary, it's the unknown. There are risks as there are with everything. The risks are usually minimal. You do need to get rid of this growth. Try not to do too much Dr Google on surgery risks - it can be rather off putting, though it sounds like you have already discovered that!

You are so courageous. You have been on a hellish ride. The end is in sight Sarah.

I am thinking of you so please let us know how you go if you feel up to it, on Friday.

Love and hugs,
    Deb

Sarah, you poor thing - I thought I had it bad having 3 D&C's after my last m/c but nothing like what you are going through. I wish this could just all be over for you so you can heal both physically and mentally.
    I hope all goes well for your next treament/surgery and please know that there are many of us thinking about you!