Thread: INFO NEEDED- Wanting to become a babysitter during the week

Default INFO NEEDED- Wanting to become a babysitter during the week

Hey All,

I was considering doing some babysitting work acouple of days a week but I dont really have any info. I know roughly what people charge though. So if you could help me with acouple of questions that would be great. I know it would all depend on each familes situations but here goes.....

1. Is is usually in their house or is it possible they drop thechild at my house?
    2. Is it usually paid into a bank account or is it mainly cash in hand?
    3. Do you think the clients would tend to mind if i have my 4 year old with me while looking after theirs?
    4. Would having my own child be an advantage as it shows I know what im doing?
    5. Is housework usually added into the service?

Thats all i can think of for now, any replies would be appreciated.

We've used babysitters a fair bit as I work from home.

I would expect the babysitter to come to my house.
    It's cash in hand unless you want to go through the tax office.
    If you're bringing your own child along, it would depend on the age of the child your minding as to whether it's ok, I think. Also you might expect a lower rate since you will not be giving the other cihld your full, undivided attention.
    Personally, experience with children is obviously necessary, whether your own or other peoples. Babysitting is different to parenting, though, so I'd prefer someone with child minding experience
    Housework - I don't expect it though will ask sitters to hang out washing if DS has a nap and they're free. I've had a couple that insisted on doing dishes and vacuuming while DS slept, but I'm actually happy for sitters to take some time out. the pay rate is low, so I don't expect 'extras' like that.

Hope that's helpful

Thanks for that. I also have a certificate 3 in childrens services, so some experience in childcare centres aswell as experience with my child, and also all the relevant police checks, working with children checks, first aid and epi-pen training.

Hi Sarah, would you be looking for casual babysitting or a more permanent weekly arrangement?

I used a babysitter two days per week when I worked (the same days each week) so I guess in some ways that is nannying more than babysitting - I think the difference is in the qualifications of the carer. Can come back and tell you about our arrangement if it's the sort of thing your interested in doing?

Thanks nickle730. I would hopefully be looking for more of a permanent weekly arrangement. I guess it is more like nannying(if thats a word) than babsitting when you think about it.

OK, I'm certain that everyone would have different expectations and priorities, but here's what we did...

We had a babysitter come to our house. I was not happy with the idea of my child being in someone else's home - I wanted by child to be cared for in his own environment, sleep in his own bed at rest time etc. I would also be concerned about how safe someone else's home would be and whether the carer would become distracted by their own housework, telephone calls, tradesmen... If I was going to have my child cared for in someone else's home then I would probably use FDC where I know that the council carries out inspections and the home is scrutinised.

I always paid cash in hand. Would be happy to transfer directly into our carer's bank account (would probably be easier!) it is up to the babysitter to declare their income and pay tax. We did not claim any child care rebate (I think you can claim even if the carer doesn't have a provider number???) and... I doubt the income was declared. Enough said.

I would not personally want my babysitter to bring their own child. I would prefer that the carer focus solely on my child. By introducing another child a whole lot of issues are raised... is the other child well behaved, violent, demanding, good at sharing. Will the other child be noisy and keep my child awake when it's time to nap? Because I want my child cared for in my home, will the carer's child respect our house? Will that child be comfortable in someone else's home, even with his/her mum there? What if our rules are different? My kid knows the rules, but another child has different rules. Anyway, only me personally, but no, I would not want the babysitter to bring their own child UNLESS the babysitter was a friend and I knew the child and had seen the child interact with my own and knew that our rules and parenting were similar. But I would be very hesitant to have a friend as a paid babysitter... business and pleasure...

If you did find someone who was happy to have your child there as well I would think that you would have to charge less, as Marcellus said. And you may well find that many people are happy to have your DS around to play with their child if it makes your services more affordable!

Having your own child would be an advantage as I would expect that you are comfortable and confident with children, BUT the biggest nightmare of a BS we had was a woman who had raised her own children and therefore thought she knew how to care for my son better than I did. I found myself in a huge power struggle with her as she disregarded how I wanted things done... she was a mother with more experience than me so she knew what was right for my son... NOT!!! She was CRAZY though... Sooo... yes and no. I think it would depend on your attitude and personality and your willingness to care for the child in the way the parents want you to.

I did not expect my BS to do any housework as I preferred that they focus solely on my child/ren (my DD also during school holidays). I did expect that they cleaned up the kids lunch dishes and placed any dirty clothes in the dirty linen, tidied toys the kids had finished playing with (with the kids help!!) that sort of thing but nothing else. The crazy lady insisted on doing housework regardless of how many times I told her not to. Came home one day to find the clothes folded and the dinner on. My 18 month old DS had a massive bruise on his forehead that she couldn't explain - she was too busy doing the housework!!!

Sarah, this is just my experience and expectations... I'm sure that everyone else is different and I hope you can find an arrangement which suits you. Good luck!!

Perhaps look into family daycare if u have all those qualifications that way the children come to u and it doesn't matter if u have a child already as I know of people that do FDC as its easier on them becuase they can have their child there too as well at looking after other children and getting paid for it

Thanks everyone for their advice especially nickle730. I totally understand what you are saying and probably think there would be most thinking the same way as you. Its just very hard trying to find a job i can do with my child with me without paying my own childcare fees.

Kat- At this point I dont really want to do FDC as it takes quite a bit to set up and run thats why i was thinking one family, 1-2 children. Thanks anyway.

no worries just a suggetion goodluck I hope u can get some work sorted out

Hey Sarah. I do a bit of babysitting (when I can get it lol) so,

1. Is is usually in their house or is it possible they drop thechild at my house?

I go to the parent's homes. It's easier for the child and parents.

You can get it paid into your account, I'm happy with either but most people will just give cash in hand.

3. Do you think the clients would tend to mind if i have my 4 year old with me while looking after theirs?

Hmm, I think this just comes down to personal preference. I think if the child you're minding is a baby it would be more acceptable, but if the child was the same age, well it could go really well or it could be a disaster. I'd be inclined to say it would be a problem for me if my child was 3+.

Maybe..? A lot of people have children and parent terribly though haha I think the fact you have a cert in child services show you know what you're doing

Again, unless specified, it's personal preference. I usually wash any dishes that are in the sink, load/empty the dishwasher, things like that. Only if I get the chance though, like if the child/ren are asleep for example. I charge $15 an hour, purely because it is an easy amount to give in cash (never any loose change involved) and I feel $20 is just too much.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by SarahMc View Post
    Thanks for that. I also have a certificate 3 in childrens services, so some experience in childcare centres aswell as experience with my child, and also all the relevant police checks, working with children checks, first aid and epi-pen training.
    Yep, that's all good too. Our sitters have been more like nannies actually , have had 2 long term and one who only came for a week - unfortunately her DH was sick and she couldn't come back. It's a real shame, as she was the best one we had - she also had cert 3 & experience in centres. She and DS bonded instantly and it was really great.

Having the experience is great, and it's a first step, but soem of the potential babysitters i've interviewed have had qualifications but just felt all wrong and I would not have hired them. One of the long-term sitters we used had no qualifications, and had just babysat for friends and family, but she just felt right and worked out really well.

ETA - personaly, if my child is under 2, then I would not hire someone who was bringing their own child along. But if older I might consider it - I'd want to meet the child and probably set a probationary-type period first to see how it went.

These are my thoughts:

1. Is is usually in their house or is it possible they drop the child at my house?
    Almost certainly in their house. Parents want their kids to feel comfortable and the easiest way to ensure that is having them in a familar environment. Also, it'd be scary to have someone you don't know very well take your child to their house.

Cash in hand.

They probably would :/ It's a bit unfair, but I do think parents probably want you to be focusing on your child.

It is good that you're a mum. You can do a billion courses at uni but the best experience is having your own.

You can probably charge a little extra per hour if you do housework, but I do it for free.