Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teenage babysitters WDYT???

Default Teenage babysitters WDYT???

Would you be happy using teenage babysitters for your young kids?
    How much would you pay them?
    The young girl next door is 15 and has offered to babysit for us, we'd only be 2 hours and local. She is lovely and we are a wee bit desperate to get out and about on a more regular basis - but are finding the $25/hr charged by childcare girls too prohibitive. Am I being a bit too keen thinking that his may be a good option??
    TIA - happy to be told the good the bad and the ugly!!!

I babysat right through my teenage years. I only charged like $5 max $10 an hour. $5 if I only had one kid and $10 for 2 or more.
    Does she have siblings that she may have had exzperiene with? Has she done babysitting before for anyone else? Does she know your little ones? I had about 5 regular families that i'd look after and still look after a few families kids when they are really desperate.

I baby sat for friends of my parents and their friends and neighbours from the age of 12-17.... I enjoyed it, I used to get about 20-30 bucks a night (sometimes stay the night ).

I would suggest maybe giving her a trial run, see how she and your DDs interact? then when you are a bit more confident leave them longer?

She has an older brother and hasn't babysat before but she was very open about that. I guess I am a little biased as I did heaps of babysitting when I was her age and younger. I am surprised as one of my friends was quite negative about me even considering it. I guess because we are only going to grab a meal and would be within 15min drive rather than across town for hours and hours then I am more keen. Her parents are next door too. I was thinking about $10 hour whne the kids were in bbed!

I think it's a great idea.

DD1 used to babysit up until she got a social life and too much work at Maccas. She got about $8 an hour but that was 4 years ago (she was 14) She had plenty of experience with younger siblings and she is quite responsible.
    I think nowadays the average money is $10 an hour from what I hear from the mums at school. I would be happy to use a neighbour because in the event of a problem her mum is right there IYKWIM?

So long as you think she would be able to handle an emergency situation etc etc, I see no issue. I say go for it and enjoy your meal out!

ETA Phwoar, I babysit/nanny and charge $15 an hour, all these younger girls are charging $10...seems like I am a bargain lol
    Last edited by PumpkinZulu; July 12th, 2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: eta lol

I too babysat from about 13 or so and now that I am a parent I am amazed that these women left me with their kids when I knew nothing LOL. But I knew the kids and mothers quite well and they had seen me interact with their children from early on. I would visit them and hang out with them after school and on weekends as I lived in small county town and had no friends in close proximity. Maybe if she hasn't already, get her to come over for a couple of afternoon's to get to know your kids well first. Sounds a good idea especially as her parents are close and you would not be far away.

I think at 15 she'd be quite capable for a couple of hours. And I agree with the $10 an hour.

Depends on the teenager and the child. I babysat as a teen and knew the children and parents well beforehand (family friends). My mum lived a 5 min walk away. At first it was when the children were in bed (paid for watching TV and doing homework, bonus!) but age 15 onwards it was for whole days. It was a great summer job!

I think if you know the teen and she's responsible, doesn't matter about experience. A lot of people have no experience about things they do for the first time, a good dollop of common sense is all you need most first times. There are some teens I know I would be OK with them babysitting Liebs (should the need arise) so I don't think it's a bad idea.

Given her parents are right next door, I cannot see an issue.

We all pretty much were babysat by teens or sat as teens, I think it is great experience, and a bit more invested responsibility and trust in teens these days wouldn't go astray.

If you trust her and the kids get along with her well, go for it - and have fun on your night out!!
    Last edited by LimeSlice; July 12th, 2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: missing word!

Yes I would allow her to mind my kids.. i pay a sitter now that is a qalified child care working 10$ so i would pay the same..

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zaidie View Post

I think if you know the teen and she's responsible, doesn't matter about experience. A lot of people have no experience about things they do for the first time, a good dollop of common sense is all you need most first times.
    this is how i feel - age is nothing but a number - if she is responsible and you trust her to take care of your children as you expect them to be cared for, go for it!
    i was babysitting kids by the time i was 12, newborns by 14 (youngest was 5 weeks - brother was unwell and she needed to get him to the doctors, she was a very nervous mummy and just couldn't cope). all were within 5 minues drive for MY mum if things went to hell and i needed her (never did, but knowing she was available helped).

i think looking past the age and looking at the person is the ONLY way to decide who you are comfortable looking after your kids. make sure you are clear about your "rules" re bedtime (routine/drinks etc) and what your expectations are

i used to get $20 for an evening caring for a kidlet, up to 9.30pm, then i went to $10 an hour after that (mum did FDC so she made sure i didn't get ripped lol). during the day it was dependent on who, how many kids etc as to what we negotiated for me to be paid. most of the kids i looked after were FDC kids who became friends of the family, so the parents knew me, had seen me with their kids etc...

I would do it.

Great thanks everyone! My gut feeling is really good about this - I am also very happy to have her in the house which is not necessarily how I have felt about other people. I am off to chat to her mum and dad to make sure they are all ok with it too. If that is good then we'll organise an hour or two with the kids on a Sat pm and DH and I will take the dog for a walk!!! I am really excited as Dh and I both realise we need to make a bigger effort to invest in us after 4 years of just getting by.
    One last question - is $10/hr too measly???
    Thanks again for your encouragement!

I'd do it. When we were kids we were always babysat by teenagers and I've always had teens babysit my kids when I've needed it.

She lives next door so if she needs any help her mother is right there.

$10 an hour sounds perfect.

i remember i used to get $10 an hour..... when I was 12 My mum used to leave me with 2 brothers 9 and 6, step brother 5 and stepsister 1 yr old. So lots of other parents started 'using ' me lol

But of course experience with younger brothers/sisters was what made it easy for me.
    I'd only leave my son with someone he knew, who had experience with a baby and could react in an emergency. Not just call 000 or run next door to their parents. I'd want someone who could help me son if he was choking etc. Things happen in the blink of an eye.

I'd trust a 12 year old that knew how to look after a child already rather than an 18 year old who didn't. Just my thoughts

$10 sounds perfect...

If you come home and she has done your dishes and tidied up for you then I would up it to $15 lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast