Thread: 3yo + boys - whats your experience

Default 3yo + boys - whats your experience

Hi,

DS is 3 now, at a young age he started to show signs of wanting to go to the toilet and if he asked we let him, no pressure, never forced him to, just encouraged.
    Then he decided he didn't want to do that anymore.

He now rarley tells when he needs his nappy changed, and says he likes to have a wet nappy on. He knows when he's doing poo, you can tell, and insists he hasn't when you ask.

I have trialed recently putting undies on him to see if it helps and he just wets through them. he doesn't even care much about rewards, but if he wants a lollie or something he will sit on the potty and try to squeeze anything out.

I just don't think he gets it.

My DS wasn't keen on the idea - just wasn't interested, until he was 3 and 2 months. Then I suggested a star chart with star stickers and he was keen!! So thats how we did it and he toilet trained instantly.

He still wets some nights, so is still in nappies for nights, but he doesn't wet them every night.

Its ok if they toilet train later, there's no rule book

thanks, ive just ordered myself some backup and am hoping the warm months ,ight bring some poitive results

You never know!! It was march in tassie when we did it, and it was still relatively warm, but no way we would have tried in winter. Its freakin cold!! lol

I reckon the warm weather is what helped my DS toilet train just after he was 2. He is almost 3 now too but still has a nappy on at night and wee's through them! Can't find a nappy that fits him properly these days so am trying to night train him! Don't know how that will happen....just going to wait it out I think.

Hi Rebecca,

My DS2 is now 4 and still will only poo in his undies. We started TT at 3yrs and he has got the wee no problem. He refuses to poo in toilet. I have even started a thread on it in here for some tips Lol.
    So we are just going with the flow now, we don't use day pull ups or nappies anymore, just deal with the clean up and keep going.
    It will happen in time for your DS, as frustrating as it is, he will get there in his own time
    I have yet to see a little one start prep in nappies, that's what I keep telling myself anyway

I'll be back later when I have more time to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather72 View Post
    Hi Rebecca,

My DS2 is now 4 and still will only poo in his undies. We started TT at 3yrs and he has got the wee no problem. He refuses to poo in toilet. I have even started a thread on it in here for some tips Lol.
    So we are just going with the flow now, we don't use day pull ups or nappies anymore, just deal with the clean up and keep going.
    It will happen in time for your DS, as frustrating as it is, he will get there in his own time
    I have yet to see a little one start prep in nappies, that's what I keep telling myself anyway
    exactly the same here, absolutely no problem with wees, but will only do a poo when we put his night nappy on. frustrating. very frustrating.
    but, it'll happen.

This is what I did. DS2 will be 3 in less than a month. A few weeks ago I decided that he had to be TT. He would sway between making me think he was ready, to not being ready at all and I really didn't fancy a 3yo in nappies plus he will be going to preschool next year and I really wanted him TT fully and confidently TT too so there would be no accidents at preschool. So what I did was decide that right, today is the day you are wearing jocks. I put them on first thing in the morning and then after about half an hour I told him we were going to the toilet, so we went and I sat him on it and asked if he could try to do a wee. He couldn't so I took him off and then I gave him a drink. 10 minutes later I took him to the loo again and Presto! He did a wee. That got him confident then. What I did then was take him to the toilet every 20 minutes and 9 times out of 10 he would do a wee. I know it is really time consuming and you do have to remember to do it all the time, but we have had very few accidents and after a week he was telling me he needed to go to the toilet. Now he is only wearing a nappy at night. It might be worth a shot to do it like that, because sometimes if they are wavering between ready and not ready, taking a stance like I did might be what gets them started with it and then the rest follows.

Trillian, that is what I have been thinking, but I'm struggling at the moment with a 5 month old not sleeping, which means i'm not sleeping andI've had good intentions of doing this yet seem to drift off into dream land and forget to take him to the loo, despite the fact I have a potty sitting (on tiles) in the family room.

Boobaloo and heather, a friend of mine has just been through that with her ds (just turned 4) at the same time as a co-incidental bathroom reno she got a "new" Buzz lightyear toilet, decked out with everything buzz (her ds's fave atm) and suddenly he uses the toilet! (old toilet decorated)
    Same friend has an autistic child who was ready to toilet train just before starting prep, so that gives me hope my ds will be tt by then.

Thanks for all your help. working on making it fun, and I think I might have to have no tv for a few days so I can get him out of the loungeroom.

Q is his strange: last night, daddy put him in undies, we were in the bathroom ready to have bath, water was not running, and suddenly he wee'd on the floor, but had his fingers in his ears. We ask him if he knows that he was doing wee's and he says no. This is just a kid that doesn't want to deal with it right?? 'Cause if you can get him on a potty or toilet and he goes he gets excited

Quote Originally Posted by kungfubecca View Post
    Trillian, that is what I have been thinking, but I'm struggling at the moment with a 5 month old not sleeping, which means i'm not sleeping andI've had good intentions of doing this yet seem to drift off into dream land and forget to take him to the loo, despite the fact I have a potty sitting (on tiles) in the family room.

Boobaloo and heather, a friend of mine has just been through that with her ds (just turned 4) at the same time as a co-incidental bathroom reno she got a "new" Buzz lightyear toilet, decked out with everything buzz (her ds's fave atm) and suddenly he uses the toilet! (old toilet decorated)
    Same friend has an autistic child who was ready to toilet train just before starting prep, so that gives me hope my ds will be tt by then.

Thanks for all your help. working on making it fun, and I think I might have to have no tv for a few days so I can get him out of the loungeroom.

Q is his strange: last night, daddy put him in undies, we were in the bathroom ready to have bath, water was not running, and suddenly he wee'd on the floor, but had his fingers in his ears. We ask him if he knows that he was doing wee's and he says no. This is just a kid that doesn't want to deal with it right?? 'Cause if you can get him on a potty or toilet and he goes he gets excited
    I think that they get so used to just weeing in a nappy, so they aren't really thinking about what they are doing kwim? So they forget that they aren't wearing a nappy and that is why you end up with wet pants all the time.