Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice? Info?

Question Advice? Info?

I'm thinking about getting some cloth nappies for DS.
    I know its seems a bit late, lol. If I'd known a bit more about them I'd probably have started a long time ago!

I've only ever used the terry towelling ones Coffs hossy provided when the girls were born. I have no clue about all these new flashy styles, lol!
    He's 10.8 kgs. Pretty tall & skinny on average.

How many would you use a day? He only uses 2 - 3 sposies a day. Thats with no bum free time. When we are home he rarely has a nappy on.

So what are the best brands? I'm not doing too well on the $$ side of things. I was looking at them on ebay.

I'm going to check out some of the sales you girls are having & put some of Ruddy's $$ towards it.

So, considering he's over 1 already do you think 5 or 6 would be enough?
    Which ones do you guys use over night?

TIA x

we use the bumgenius brand and cant fault them! also i have heard that itty bitty are fantastic from heaps of friends...

the cost can be pretty mammoth. we have had them since DD was born so got a full time pack of 25...which you wont really need IMO.

but unless you want to wash every day i would recommend going for about 10...that is just the slightly more lazy me talking! (and this is going on what my DD goes through too....)

Skye- I was after same advice... i only use terry flats. And the covers i have are mainly from stores like Big W.

Its been doing my head in looking, AIO, Pockets, covers, wool soakers?? (No freaking idea about any of it)

Lol!
    Thats what I'm trying to work out now!
    Glad I'm not the only one!
    I'm looking at AIO's. Do they need liners? I'm confused!!!!!!!

Skye
    AIO's are just that - all in one - no liners needed - unless you want one for easier poop disposal!!!!

I go through about 6 or 7 a day with each kid now - and a night nappy as well. But I change them basically every 2 - 3 hours.

So I would say that 12 would be a good number for you. Get reputable brands (ie - NOT from ebay) that you can resell on buy for baby when have finished using them. If you buy cheap brands, they may not work the way you want them to, you would have wasted money on them, PLUS, they won't have any resale value. JMO of course!!

If you have any specific questions - go into the cloth thread and start reading/posting all the girls in there.

ETA - sorry, didn't see your question about nights. I use baby beehinds bamboo fitted for DD at the moment with a woollen cover over the top. I use green kids minky times at nights for DS, plus Snoozywuns, plus bubblebubs GNST.

ah yeah, probably should of had more details! LOL!

we use the bumgenius one size pocket nappies. they come with covers and inserts. dont need soaking and can be used from newborn up until TT.

they have their own website too and i recommend checking it out...BUT i got mine brand new off a girl selling them on ebay and i saved heaps that way...(so for 26 nappies i paid $500 instead of the $800 from the website)

Hi All,

I am looking for the same info as you and just found a great website - ozclothnappies.org

Its run by mums and is info based with heaps of advice and pictures and articles about the different systems. The site is run by volunteers and is not about making money. If the mods dont let the website link go up on this reply just google cloth nappies and check out a few sites.

Happy hunting...

Rachel

oz cloth nappies is a great website for info, so is modern cloth nappies

Just google modern cloth nappies and they both come up.

Ok, so what do you guys soak & wash yours in?
    Is nappy san ok? I usually do towels etc with just vinegar most of the time & powder every 3 or 4 washes.

Skye - we don't soak MCN's. We just dry pail - so we just throw them in a pail till we are ready to wash (usually the next day)

And I just use a tiny bit of your normal detergent. About 1/4 of what you would normally use.

Sometimes I don't use any detergent, but I always do a pre-wash, then a normal wash.

Definitely no napisan honey.

A good way to get introduced to MCN's is have a demonstration at your place. Like a cloth nappy party! A few of the companies do them. I had baby beehinds come to my house but I know cushie tushies do them to. check out their websites.

It was really good to see and feel the nappies and ask any questions. I had no idea what they even looked like.

I am now using Baby beehinds, and Bum genius, and have bought some other brands to try like cushie tushie, happy heinys and bumwear....I'm just waiting for the fluffy mail to arrive!!!
    Also def read some of the other threads there is heaps of info on them.

Ok, cool. Thanks
    Forgot about the other threads. Will do when I get the chance

Hey Skye,

woo hoo for you!

I am using BBH at night with a wool soaker (wool cover that breaths) over the top.

During the day i am using a combination of BBH and BumGenius and a could of other AIO's... BG are great, but i like the BBH as they are more natural

MJ is going through about 6 nappies a day (inc night) she does have some nappy free time and on those days we may only use 2 or 3 nappies.
    I change my nappies frequently like the other girls, Jesse will be a bit wetter than in sposies if you leave him for a while, I find that MJ is now doing less frequent big wee's usually i can tell when she has done one and so i try and change her straight away...

Anyway check out the Cloth threads for more info
    HTH

Oooh!
    Just ordered a few from Mel & Maz....so excited!! (Hoping I got the right thing! Lol!!)
    Never been quite this excited about more washing for myself!

Did you get my email ok Skye? Just checking

Lol, glad your onto me!

Man, I didn't realise how much studying I'd have to do!

Ahh but once you have the basics down pat - you're well on your way

It is overwhelming.. but you'll get there!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast