Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cloth v Disposable - price comparisons

PMSL Astrid!!! Nappy snobs!! Isnt that hilarious? Wouldn't you think that people would be interested in trying to save some money if something else worked??

I get interesting looks sometimes - cloth nappy, baby wearing, breast feeding, co-sleeping sometimes etc..... While alot of these things seem normal enough on this forum, out in the big wide world, people think I'm this "perfection attempting" mum, and thats not my intention at all. Some mums have a hard enough time getting through the day - they dont need added pressure from their peers to make them feel like they aren't good enough. In saying this - I have only spent 3 weeks at home by myself with Jenna. I have an amazing DP who has been off work on workcover long term, and he is totally into everything baby. Its great - so pressure off on me.

Tracey - I actually enjoy folding nappies...... 8-[ My SIL used to fold them for hours in NICU when her daughter was in there for 6 weeks. There is something satisfying about getting them all folded and put away.

My baby girl is almost 8 months old and most days she poos several times, she also feeds every 2 hours 24 hours a day and co-sleeps with me. There is no way I would use cloth....

Could you imagine the amount of cloth nappies she would go through in just one day? Ane the nappy rash...

Not only that I would then have to change her constantly through the night...

I wash almost every day as it is, I don't own a dryer and only have a small line which is under shade most of the time from gum trees...

I'd have to be insane!

I never had any nappy rash with DD#1 in cloth nappies, she never used a disposable including when we were in bali, I just hand washed in the village..
    DD#2 hasn't had any issues with nappy rash either.
    Have almost used up all the freebie Disposables, so am going back to cloth nappies today... Yippeee!

I can't remember where I read half the stuff I do (coz I read so much!) but someone said that nappy rash is caused by being left in a dirty nappy too long, regardless of whether it's cloth or disposable, so cloth being more prone to nappy rash isn't true. Very interesting.

Same with leaking.. if you've got a good cover over the cloth nappy it's meant to be very reliable leak-wise. I won't know till bubba's here tho which system is going to work best. Be nice if he just does little dribbles into his nappy instead of flooding! hehe. One can only hope

Sherrie - I don't own a drier. I'm hoping the nappies I've chosen will be quick to dry. Our winters aren't bad anyway.. it's sunny most of the time. So I'm not too worried. On rainy days it can just be on a clotheshorse in front of the heater.

In regards to nappy rash the reasoning with this is cloth nappies are typically less absorbant even more so when you compare to huggies brand which is why they're so popular. Some of the cheaper brands though are no different to cloth.

Yes changing asap will help heaps but you arn't always going to get them straight away. When sleeping this is even a bigger issue especially for me as how does a babies skin stay dry all night in cloth when she feeds every 2 hours?

Heck sometimes she wets my bed in the morning with a huggies on and I change her late at night, sometimes once more!

Sure I could change her after each awakening but apart from the fact it would mean even less sleep for me it would bring a huge risk of waking her up too much plus how would I change her in time to avoid rashes if she does her wee early into the sleep? Make sense?

Secondly shes a breastfed baby so still does those newborn runny type poos and she does them ALOT (luckily not at night time!). I have to be vigilant as it is as even just the days where she poos more then a few times irritates her skin despite changing straight away.

With leaking, in regards to my daughter even huggies arn't reliable when she poos as she does it with huge force lol

With my first born he never leaked in a huggies and never had nappy rash. She hasn't had nappy rash but shes been very close, I really don't think she would handle cloth well at all.

I would have to go through a dozen cloth nappies through the day easily (I have days where I go through that many disposables), that would most likely be atleast one load in my washing machine per day not including any other laundry.

I didn't mention this before because I didn't want to come across as if I was against anything pro cloth as its not that at all but with my first born I did try those fitted ones that fasten with velcro and he would wet through them straight away even with the nappy liners and he would be saturated all through just from the one wee. Mind you that was years ago so they may be better now.

Anyway as I said I'm not trying to be negative just wanted to share my experiences as every baby and situation is different.

Cheers

Its interesting different concepts from people re cloth and disposable. Jenna has had nappy rash a few times, although every single time its been from a poo we missed - not wees. So it wouldnt have mattered if it was cloth or sposie. The best thing I've found is a gentle barrier cream - makes the world of difference.

I've only ever had one poo blowout, and Jenna was pooing 4 times a day until about 3 months ago, and then it went to twice a day, and that was in a huggies that I had left on for too long (thus no absorbancy left in it to cope with a big booby poo!!).

Also I've found that huggies when used leaves a chaffing rash on her legs that cloth doesn't.

Some of her cloth ones wet through pretty quickly, and others I know I can leave on for ages. So I have some for 2hrs, some for 10hrs overnight, no problems. And she was often fed through the night.

You are right - every baby is sooooo different, wee and poo wise.

No probs Sherrie - we won't take you as anti-cloth I haven't even tried any of these out yet on bubs, so it's kinda good for me to hear that it doesn't always work for everyone, so I won't have too high expectations on these nappies. I'm getting the impression I'm going to have to persevere to find out what suits my bubby best. No doubt I'll have some leaks/overflows etc as I learn which nappies are best for him. I'm pretty convinced tho that it is possible for cloth to contain the mess and that the liners will keep him dry. Just gotta find the right ones. I've been getting lots of trial packs of lots of different nappies.. so hopefully one of em will work!

WOW, I guess I have a different baby then?
    Indah is Breastfed & she poos probably twice a week..
    They are huge poos, but they pretty much stay confined to her cloth nappy, maybe two blow outs thus far.

But never even a red looking bum, but she did get a fubby red mark where the disposable nappies rubbed on her now chubby legs..
    But finished all the diposables now & back to cloth...

Yeah I assume my babies skin is very sensitive to moisture and acidic conditions. I don't think her skin would tolerate a less absorbant nappy where her wees are a concern. Her poos they are just a freak of nature, theres no describing them LOL I say its because she has her dads big butt hehe

Anyway I do use a barrier cream, I use Amolin every single time I put a nappy on her no matter what. I tried others from those samples you get and none of them were any good, she was much worse then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12