Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloth vs Disposable Nappies

Default Cloth vs Disposable Nappies

Im sure that there have been many discussions about this topic before but im just interested in peoples views on the disposable/cloth debate. Im still really undecided and am looking for what is best for bub, cheaper, easy.

Hi Heather

Here a few links about cloth/disposable nappies you might want to check out that we have discussed previously on the forums

Cloth Nappies

Disposable Nappies

Question about nappies

Cloth Nappies - The super absorbant hemp nappy

Disposable or Cloth

That might give you some ideas as to people views.

Love

I found the total opposie than Shannon...
    Maddy was n cloth nappies the entire time night & Day, only when we were out & I had no cloth nappies left (stayed longer than planned) I'd borrow a disposable off a friend...

They are so cheap & easier to use.. I never put any in the dryer coz we did not have one & still don't.. Over a clothes horse.
    I had all bright coloyred ones & plain ones, I used snibs & pilchers until she got bigger & then I used those plastics, I bought the Home Brand nappy liners & if it's only urine you wash & re use, they were not at all time consuming & I definately will be using them again, I have bought 2 dozen already , I will just need a bucket with a lid (about $10) The nappy liners are only a few $, plus a thing of nappy san...
    I used to shake pooh into toilet with liner as they were safe for flushing, then put nappy in bucket & at end of the day I'd tip the bucket full of nappies (8 or so a day) into w/machine & in then hang them out, takes 5 mins, when dry I'd fold them as i brought them in & set them ready to go on her change table!
    I definately think they are a chepaer option... So much easier to use too once you got your routine going!!!

Through nannying experience, I would personally go with disposables.

It saves time and energy and I think the babies skin stays dryer in a disposable and you don't have to change it every time they do a little piddle. You don't get leakage, you don't have to handle the contents of the nappy and the most important thing for me is that I would get to spend more time with my baby, instead of washing nappies!

So disposables get my vote!

But what ever you decide, they recommend that for the first month you go with disposables, just so you can get use to everything and spend as much time with your baby as possible. After that you can always use cloth

This is a really hard one.

With bubs #1, I used cloth all the time, was really easy and found that getting into a routine was pretty basic. I used cloth until she was about 18 months as then she had a dreadful rash and I had to use this cream that would stain everything.

Bubs #2, got given a couple of huge boxes of disposables, and it stuck for a while, but it did end up being quite expensive but you can find cheap outlets for these nappies and they are pretty good.

This baby is going to be in cloth nappies, since my DD's will be at school most of the time, I will have the time to use them. However, we will be using disposables while we are on holidays for 3w when bubs is a couple of months old, mainly for the convenience option.

My opinion is just do whatever you think is right for you!

I have never heard of using Disposbale for the first month, they used cloth in the Hospital where I had DD?? that seems a little odd?

As for spending less time with baby by using Disposables, I cannot agree with that, takes the same amount of time to change a nappy? Then dumoing it into a bucket washing hands & back to baby, well you still got to bin the Disposable & wash hands so I don''t get that, then at night when babay is in bed you put a load of nappies on & I would fold them when dry & baby was in bed, so there was no time ever that she was missing out on me. Also it is said it's easiier to toilet train a cloth nappy baby coz of the wet on their skin, DD was toilet trained day & night by 20 months. Personally I loved the nice fluffy cloth nappies..

Hi,

I'm doing clothfor my first baby. I also have bought a pack of 48 disposables newborn size so in the first week we shall just see what happens..... After that, I'll probably try one day on, one day off just to get into the rhythm and see what they wash up like (I have a front loader...) and then hopefully after a few weeks I'll be into the swing of things!
    I have 1doz newborn size nappies (chinese prefolds up to 4kg), plus about 5 PUL covers, then I have about 8 fitted nappies that should fit up to about 6-9 months. I also have 1 1/2 doz nappies the next size up (4-10kg), and about 5 larger PUL covers.
    We shall see if this is enough, hopefully it will be. I figure that I'm home, and there is no reason I can't chuck an extra load on everyday. Takes about the same amount of time as taking out the rubbish! Besides, you are still supposed to scrape the poo off disposables, so I figure its gunna be a "crappy" job either way.

Basically - do what feels right for you!
    Fi

this probably isnt going with the topic, but I just wanted to have a whinge,
    we decided we were going with disposables, because from what ive seen cloht are just too much hassle, anyway we told anthony's parents we were going with disposables and they go out and buy us a load of cloth nappies! without even asking so now we feel obliged to use them so to speak, ive told anthony that his mum can do the washing then! lol

it just annoyed me how they assumed automatically that we were going to use cloth because its what she did and we have to do everything her way..

take care
    Lesley

Has anybody used Ezy Nappies? I'm considering buying some of those....

Weegie Guest

Hi Lesley,

My sister was also given a bunch of cloth nappies though she had no intention of ever using anything other than disposables. She still used them though - she found they made great spew rags, bibs for feeding times or just to wipe up drool instead of using a face washer.

One of my little sisters also used a muslin cloth nappy (unused of course) as her 'blanky' and had a hard time being weened off it when she was about 3...

Melody Guest

I am planning to be a cloth nappy girl (but disposables when i go out for a full day or overnight) My sister had this fantastic system where she had two buckets in the laundry & once baby started doing firm poos she used a nappy liner & just flushed the liner down the toilet, the first bucket was filled with soapy water & she would just chuck the dirty in until she had time to deal with it. Then she would give it a quick hand rinse at night for any clingy yuckies or big stains then pop it into the second bucket which was filled with bleach/water solution. After each bucket cycle (two days ish) she put the bleached nappies through the wash, refreshed the water/detergent in both & hey presto. She probably had around 30 cloths to do a two day cycle comfortably with plenty left over.

It worked because it didn’t take up much room, it didn’t ‘smell’ out the bin/laundry etc & it meant she didn’t have to have piles of dirty nappies lying around. With all the soaking she barely spent more than an hour (washing, hanging & folding) every few days. I’m really going to give it a good try, I feel a bit funny about the environment with all those constant disposables & the cost but I really believe each to their own. My other sister never touched a cloth nappy with either of her girls & that was her choice.

Being my first time I can only try but I never saw it as an arduous experience for her.

Seenabeena, just letting you know that your post has been deleted as we do not allow links to external websites.

Just go with what you want to do. There are pros and cons for both as have been listed here. I personally prefer disposables for a variety of reasons, already listed. And note that just because something works perfect for someone else doesn't necessary mean it will work perfectly for you as well. I made sure I had both disposables and cloth when i came out of hospital but had pretty much made up my mind while I was in there.

Debbie Lee Guest

I was always going to go with the cloth nappies because my three sisters and I were all brought up wearing cloth. In fact, we thought it was odd when we saw people using disposables. Mind you, that was over 20 years ago and disposables were considered pretty crappy by way of absorbtion and comfort back then. I think they were also pretty expensive.
    Anyway, upon speaking to many new Mums about the whole issue, I was pretty much talked out of bothing with cloth nappies (for similar reasons discussed above). I am not ruling it out completely though! I still intend to learn how to fold and put on a cloth nappy and I have a few at the ready. However, it's going to be more as a back-up rather than an alternative. I have more than enough newborn disposables (probably too many) as they were given to me or I bought them months ago. I will do as others have said and use disposable for the first few weeks then experiment a bit.
    I do worry about the environment but, like others have mentioned, cloth nappies mean running the washing machine and dryer more often so is it any different? My location means that I would have to use the dryer - the nappies won't dry in time on the line or the clothes horse during our cold and wet winters. If I was living up north, it might be whole different story!

Each to their own I say! I personally think if you can go with cloth and it works for you, good on you! It's just not everyone's cup of tea

One thing that you might need to take into consideration is whether bub has sensitive skin... Both me & my younger brother have extremely sensitive skin & we were both allergic to disposables. Just a thought.

well as an avid sewer, I plan on making fitted cloth nappies and using those, I got a pattern off the net and made a prototype and gave it to a friend who has a bub to use and see what she thought, she thought it was wonderful, just press studs together - no hassels it is an all in one so no pilchers needed. I can't wait to get sewing, I can buy come stuff wholesale and so the cost of each nappy works out to be about $4, so for 3 doz is less than $150. I think that is pretty good especially considering they supposedly will fit birth to toddler, the baby it was tried on is 18 lbs and there was still several adjustments left

Canniel, I am planning on doing the same thing. I bought a Fuzzi Bunz nappy and am copying the pattern off that as the prototype I made from an internet pattern didn't seem snug enough around the legs and it was a velcro one, when I would prefer to use the plastic snaps.

The Fuzzibunz style have a layer of micropolar fleece next to the baby's skin and this is supposed to draw the water into the soaker that you put inside the nappy, as thick as you need it to be.

One question for you thou Canniel - where do you get your waterproof fabrics? I have ordered some PUL but had to get it from America as I couldn't find it anywhere here.

Hey jgal,

I read on a website that you can use thermal backed calico, I bought 3 pass calico and put it in under the outer layer, which can be either flannel of cotton or anything. Also if you look up in the yellow pages website you will find E & M Greenfeilds in surryhills, and you can order the snaps from them at literally 1/10 0f the price - actually I can email you details if you like

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast