Thread: Convince me...!

Default Convince me...!

Hi
    I'm on the verge of giving cloth nappies a go!! It was my intention while i was pg to use cloth but in those first few months disposable were so much easier and then i got lazy. Now I'm desperate to save money and life is much easier now with DS. I need some encourragement and advice about where to start, what to buy etc etc! I wouldn't have a clue!
    BTW, is it really cheaper? I have heard ppl say that with the amount of washing needed with cloth it doesn't make much difference.
    Thanks,
    Linds

Hi Linda,
    I now have about 8 Baby Beehinds (pretty much 1 size fit's all) I have 6 or so various All In Ones, I have about 6 pockets nappies, I have a spunky Erica nappy, a couple other nappies, boosters etc & we wash probably 3 (Max) loads of Indah's stuff a week, that includes all her clothing, towels, bedding, nappies, covers, bibs etc etc... All of her stuff goes in nappy bucket (no soaking etc) & every 2nd-3rd day DH puts a load in, if we have room, we will add in our or DD#1's bedding, or the towels etc for the family or whites etc...
    A little amount of Amolin ( 1 bottle lasts FOREVER I have found) We have a front loader & it only goes on if full so we do add some of our stuff to fill it if need be...
    I added to my nappy collection over time, after initially starting with Flanny flats & terry flats & have now gone to Modern cloth, I still use my Terry Flats but usually my Modern cloth gets a work out first!
    I personally LOVE Baby beehinds & would start with them as they can go from newborn til TT & that's a bargain at approx $25 per nappy to last for minimum 2 years... I love my Tinkle Tots covers of which I now have 4 & 1 on the way.

I hope some of that has helped, there are pic's on my website of Indah in her nappies if you want to have a look!

Thanks for that info Barley1, your DD looks absolutely gorgeous in her nappies!!!! I'm sorry i'm so ignorant on this, but i have a couple of other questions for you.
    Are the Baby beehinds and all-in-one thingy? What are the ones you have to fold and use pins etc? I'm not sure about how to do all that! And i don't know if Evan would sit still long enough for me mucking around trying to get it right! I'm sure i'd get the hang of it though. Who can teach me to do that?
    Also, where do you get all these from? And do you need to use inserts/liners at all with any of them. Sorry, I don't know the difference between all the ones you were talking about (flanny, terry, modern flats, beehinds, tinkle tots, pockets, ericas, boosters.....what are they all??)
    Sorry for all the extra questions!!
    Linds

I dont use any pins... As Evan is 10 months old I'd probably just go for modern fitted cloth...
    Maybe google the baby beehinds website, they snap close (have like press studs, in varying positions so you can do it as tight as required...
    These need covers also & baby beehinds have covers, but I have used mine with varying covers like Bummi's wraps & tinkle tots (a great website to google too) & they also have snap in soakers to be more absorbant where babies wet & poo...
    I use a microfibre liner to protect nappy from solider poo's, as it kind of rolls off.
    Maybe see whom else is in Adelaide from The Cloth Nappy Addicts here on Belly Belly, maybe someone can get together with you to go through the various nappies...

I hope that has helped, check out one of Sana's posts as at the bottom there is her WWW which is her little internet nappy store, she may be able to help you more with items too.

Good Luck.....

Ellibam Guest

LG
    im in adelaide and i use cloth. google nappycino they have a lot of adealide people who use cloth to!! its a great source of info to!! it is definatley a saving you can save your self a couple of thousands a year just by using cloth! to do a load of washing doesnt cos t much

I'm a new cloth nappy user and while atm I'm using the flat style, I can't believe how easy it is to manage it. I always used to cringe at the washing side of it but it really is easy peasy, a couple more washing loads a week is no hassle.