Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you use cloth or disposables before you came home from the hospital?

Default Did you use cloth or disposables before you came home from the hospital?

Just like the title states, just wondering if you used cloth or sposies in the hospy before you came home?

Disposables because the hospital supplied them, and we were asked not to use cloth. I didn't question it, because our cloth was a bit too big for a new new newborn. We left hospital on day three, and started cloth at about day 10.

I always used cloth in hospital because that's what they supplied and it was a better way to measure output in those early days too I suppose. Leasha, my hospital had these small terry flats that were perfect for a newborn - they were so cute in them!

Cloth, because the hospital supplied them...and I like them!

2 of the hospitals I was in supplied cloth and the other didn't supply anything so I used disposables.

The hospital supplied a little pack of newborn disposables so we used them until they ran out (we left hospital at about 48 hours old, so still had a few to use when we got home). They did have little terry cloth nappies in the linen room so they also had cloth to use if you wanted to.

there were terry flats at our hossy, but DH and I sucked at the pin business, so on day 2 DH bought my entire stash in a suitcase to the hospital and we used those. I didn't even ask him he just did it all by himself, god love him and then every day he'd pick up the bag of dirties and take them home and wash them for me.

cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kim~ View Post
    there were terry flats at our hossy, but DH and I sucked at the pin business, so on day 2 DH bought my entire stash in a suitcase to the hospital and we used those. I didn't even ask him he just did it all by himself, god love him and then every day he'd pick up the bag of dirties and take them home and wash them for me.
    I always took a snappi in with me LOL - I sucked at pins too when Mum had my youngest brother so when I saw snappis in the shops I brought 6 of them LOL.

Cloth. Our hospital supplied flannel flats with a disposable snib (no pins). We left after 24 hours and switched to our MCNs then.

of course! we never thought of that lol

Quote Originally Posted by meow View Post
    Cloth. Our hospital supplied flannel flats with a disposable snib (no pins). We left after 24 hours and switched to our MCNs then.
    this is what we did
    we had flannel flats for a while at home too (just used Maz covers instead of the snib) - her MCN's just didn't fit right and i wasn't up for poosplosions every feed from ill fitting nappies - as it was, we got not escapes cos of the covers. if we had another, i'd do the same (or maybe use prefolds - not sure - i just found a bad SIL had stashed in one of our wardrobes when we had our first m/c (about 3 years before DD was born) with a heap of flannel flats in it - so we're stocked up lol

our hospital used cloth with the snibs too i have the one jamie used still its so little lol will use cloth this time round coz the hospital supplies them but i did end up using sposies coz i kept forgetting how to fold them but this time no sposies this will be fun lol

My hospital didn't allow sposies so we used cloth.

Sposies, S.C.N and nicu werent allowed cloth because of risk of bacteria. Then when we came home mcns

smiles4u Guest

Quote Originally Posted by meow View Post
    Cloth. Our hospital supplied flannel flats with a disposable snib (no pins).
    ... our hospital wouldn't allow disposable so it was their cloth flannel nappies with the plastic cover (no pins) we used.

I was only allowed ONE plastic nappy cover for the 3nights i was in there

the midwife was beside herself with tears having to tell me that hospital seriously had no more supply so i HAD to use just the one i originally had and keep cleaning it down with disinfectant as the midwife quite upset herself showed me how to do it !! ... Made me wonder would this happen in a private hosp, certainly didn't pay off being a private patient in a public hosp

We will have to supply sposies as they don't allow cloth. Hmph.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i had heaps of mcn to use from day one, but my homebirth was transferred to hospital (unforeseen complications), and in the panic with the ambos, i was carried out of home in my dressing gown and nothing else, so no MCN (or anything else) came to the hospy with me. My dh flat refused to either bring in mcn, or take home a bucket of used mcn each day i was in hospy (six days cos stuff went wrong) - so due to that non=co=operation - i had no choice. Ended up using Bambo Nature disposable nappies for the hospy stay. The minute we got home, used the nb sized mcn. (the smalls were too big, even though i had a 3.79kg bub).

Once i had a real life bub, i THEN understood the value of nb sized stuff. until then, i thought it was a wasteful luxury to buy nb sized stuff. (i'm the sort who has to EXPERIENCE things, before i really understand things - yes, i learn the hard way).

i also had a stay in a PND clinic for two weeks (when bub was 19 months old), by that time, her father was 100% onboard about MCN. He visited every night, took home bucket of used mcn, washed them and brought clean mcn back the next night. Co-operation is good.

i found out later, that the J & J baby wipes that were freely available in the hospy (so i thought that meant the hospy approved of them as safe) were there for other reasons - and those wipes had ingredients in them, that gave my bub nappy rash (harsh chemicals). i wish i had washed her little bottom with wet flannels instead (of the JJ babywipes), at change time - during the hospy stay. (just cos it's free, doesn't mean it's necessarily good for your bub). At teh time, i was convinced "hospy wouldn't use something if it wasn't safe" - how naive i was. New born skin IS sensitive. But the words "sensitive", "suitable for newborn skin" "organic" - there is no legal definition - any product can have those words on it, doesn't mean it IS what the words say. The ingredients list is a safer bet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast