Thread: fitted over flat

clare076 Guest

Default fitted over flat

For those using fitted cloth nappies.

Why did you choose to use these over the old style terry towelling nappies?

I use the old style, I never even knew about the fitted ones until after DD was born.

Is it because you don't waste time folding because obviously you would still wash the same amount?

I also saw a post that says it would cost around $400 to set up with fitted nappies and covers?
    It cost me around $100, although $400 is a lot cheaper than using disposables it is still relatively expensive compared to what I paid.

Am I missing something here? I keep wanting to buy one to see what is so good about them.

Mind you they do look a lot prettier then my stark white ones.

:-k I used flats with #1, but there are so many new funky nappies/ colours/style nowadays, they just become addictive,m I just LOVE the modern cloth...

Probably purely for their ease, attractiveness & that Dh's can manage them too!????

Hey Clare,

Until recently I used terry flats on Kynan most of the time when we were at home (modern cloth when going out). TBH I still quite like flats. If you have the right fold you've got good containment and absorbancy plus flats dry really quickly.

I do prefer fitteds, AIOs, and pocket nappies though and I'm slowly building up my stash so I can use mostly those. I find modern cloth provides even greater containment and absorbancy (esp. with nappies made from hemp). They fit really well, can be a lot less bulky than flats, less noticeable under clothes, and some, like prefolds, pockets, and the Rumpsters AIO, dry pretty quickly too. Plus there's a HUGE range of colours, patterns, fabrics, and styles to choose from. As you say, there's also no folding (not that I really minded doing that anyway LOL!). They're so easy to use. And, for me, I just get a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment out of modern cloth nappies. It's heaps of fun You can get some really gorgeous nappies these days... Kynan even has a furry leopard print one with a tail! Too cute!

I went straight to fitted as I had not folded a flat before. Have attempted it a few times, but it is really the cover holding it on for me :oops:

The colours, styles etc are all so addictive!. It is a legitimate way to shop for bubs that can save money.

clare076 Guest

I am just sitting here reading your replies, trying not to look at the ever increasing pile of clean nappies on the lounge waiting to be folded.

If I hadn't already spent so much money on the nappies I have, I think I could be easily swayed to fitted today.

Aaargh maybe for the next bub.

Clare

Remember Clare you can do both! Why not try one and see how it goes?

Yeah, that's the best way to get started - just get one or 2 every now and then and before long you'll have a nice little stash going

I started using fitted nappies, because it drove me insane to always have a washing basket of unfolded nappies in my kitchen. I used to fold each nappy as I went, but then it was hard to find a spot on the table big enough to lay out the nappy. Usually had breakfast dishes or whatever to be cleaned up. Also, I found that with flat nappies, the poo shot right up my baby's back, as it had one where else to go. The best thing about fitted nappies, is there is a bit of room inside to contain the poo. It's extremely rare for me to have a poo leak with fitteds, yet you can often get poo leaks with disposables.

Sorry about all the poo talk LOL

oh yeah, and the snappis wouldn't grab the terry fabric, I used to stab myself with pins.

Watch out, because once you try fitted nappies, you'll never want to use a flat terry square again.