Thread: Help- advice needed

Question Help- advice needed

DD has been using the potty and toilet since she was 2 for her wees and we have never really had any problems. She only wears a nappy at night times and not even for her daytime naps. But she point blnak refuses to do a poo anywhere but a nappy.

We have tried bribing, showing her etc but she will wait all day (and we will know she needs to do one cause she starts doing smelly farts ) until her nappy is put on and then she will do a poo.

We dont know what else to do as surely this cannot be good for her bowel? And it has been going on like this for months. I have gotten to the point where I am tempted to refuse to buy anymore nappies and then see what happens but knowing her and her stubbornness that will simply mean she wont go!!!

Any advice please????

Hi Gabysmum,

We have just had exactly the same thing with our daughter, Zara, who has just turned 3!!!! We started toilet training her after our 2nd child was born in Feb. she mastered it within 3 days, dry nites and everything.

But poo is another story...
    She would only do poo in her nappy in her toy room standing up, so the 1st step was for her to do it in her nappy in the bathroom standing up, after a week or so we started to encourage her to sit on the potty (with the nappy on), after another week i tried with no nappy and she point blank said "the nappy helps me do poo", so another week went by and i got sneaky, when she needed to do poo again i told her to go to the bathroom and i would get a nappy (she use to get her own nappy when she needed to do poo), i grabbed her nappy and put it on her very carefully (LITTLE DID SHE KNOW I HAD PRE-CUT A HOLE FOR THE POO TO FALL INTO THE POTTY), she was soooooooooooo excited she had done poos in the potty, so for the next few times it was ok with a nappy on with a hole in it, and then she said "i want a nappy WITHOUT a hole in it" (too smart for me), so i told her she could have one without a hole if she sat on the big toilet...she happily did that but i had cut a smaller hole so it would go un-noticed...IT WORKED! So next time she told me she needed a nappy for the big toilet and i just asked her to sit there and push...she cried for a few minutes saying she needed a nappy and then the erge was too great and she did poo in the toilet...this was a week or so ago and we have not looked back.
    Sorry for such a long post!
    Take care narelle
    Last edited by narelle; August 3rd, 2006 at 09:24 AM.

OMG...what do I have to look forward to??!!! LOL. Kind of a cute story though Narelle!

Well done on the wees thing! Have you tried putting a nappy in the base of the potty? I've heard this works for some! Also after she's done poos in her nappy do you empty the poo into the toilet? Just a few things to try if you haven't already.

Well....I don't have any ideas either...lol..our boy only does poo's in the bath!! After having done one in the toilet weeks ago, he no longer wants to sit on the toilet and cries and screams...so he either does it in the bath(warm water makes him relax i guess!!) or waits till nappy goes on at night..but mind you he only goes every second night so???? Who knows!! My sisters little girl was the same and would scream till she got the nappy on to poo..no matter where you were! What scared her tho was she was a bit constipated and it hurt one day,from then on she didn't want to do it in the toilet. After a few months, she was slowly coaxed into sitting on the toilet...and after she did and it didn't hurt she was right!!! So maybe it is all just trial and error!!

Jan xx