Thread: Help Me Make the Swap from Sposies to Cloth!

Default Help Me Make the Swap from Sposies to Cloth!

Ok it's time. I've always wanted to use cloth, but had no idea how or what or where to even buy them, so got stuck with sposies, which I am hating, and so you know what, screw it, I'm changing to cloth.
    But I'm still at square one. Clueless, ignorant, and have never even SEEN an MCN in my life.
    So help me start.
    I need ones that are suitable for eczema prone skin; so no synthetic materials. Are there any? Please be specific with brand names and types so I can just google and order..
    I have no dryer, so I think AIO is out of the question?
    DD is nearly 8mo, so whatever size that equates to.. can someone tell me? She's not even 7kg yet.. though she's a bit long, with chubby thighs..

I've pored through this forum, but there is just too many choices, some have fleece etc garr so confusing.

ETA: I just saw some stuff on Baby BeeHinds Hemp Honey; sounds quite good but firstly; is cotton fleece ok for eczema? I thought all fleece was bad, or is it just polar fleece? And also, when I look at the Baby beehinds website, there is none called Hemp Honey; is Hemp Honey just another name for the Hemp Fitted Original Baby Beehinds?
    Last edited by turtleschell; August 4th, 2010 at 03:16 PM.

before you rule out synthetics totally turtleschel, I have the worst psoraisis and my kids aren't great either and I've never had a trouble with fleece inners so that is my fabric of choice. I usually always use bamboo stuffers (pockets are big in my stash), but on the occasion i have to use microfleece (another synthetic) I have have no issue whatsoever.
    I find it's more the washing process that gets us, and we use bicarb wash and teatree oil in the rinse (cos Limeslice is a legend), and I have no stains and no reactions.

I am just not a fan of BBh so I won't even give an opinion on them but just wanted to offer the othr. I'll BBL to update on some nappy types though.

My kids aren't sensitive to anything other than suedecloth - but a lot of kids have trouble with that fabric, causes rashes in mine straight away.

I get nappies that have microfleece as a inner fabric. I also use terry flats. Perhaps you would be better looking at ones that have bamboo velour or something, thats really lovely - but hard to get on the nappies released by bigger companies.

Are you interested in AIO's, AI2's, pockets or fitteds? Most people have some thought as to what they would prefer. I use Ai2's down here in tassie and they dry fine in about 2 days inside near the heater (that we have on non stop cos its freakin cold down here). But in Queensland I used a bit of everything.

Thanks for the replies.. I think I'm inclined to go Fitteds, or All in 2's.
    I'm just wary of the fleece lining issue, it seems that pretty much all MCN's have fleece lining!
    I know fleece often irritates my own eczema, though i think that's cheap fleece (probably polyester.. it's that fluffy wooly feel, that lints heaps, not that super soft feel you find in baby blankets etc)
    I'm trying terry flats tonight when I pick up some fasteners, so if I'm happy with them I may stick to them!
    But still wouldn't mind some fancy MCN's, so am eager for more ideas and opinions!

you can buy silk liners if you want something natural against the skin.
    Are you into sewing at all? You could make your own

marcellus that sounds like a good idea but I'm a bit crappy at sewing. although all I'd have to do is simple stitching yeah?

very simple, yep