Thread: Help with Potty Training

Default Help with Potty Training

Hello
    I started TT at 18mths unsuccessfully, recently started again this time putting DD in underwear. Within a day DD was holding to do wees but will not sit on the potty and cries asking for a nappy. When I refuse and put her on the potty reasurring her it is ok and promising treats, she sits for a few minutes says "finished" but there is no wee then she insists on having a nappy on. I dont want to push the potty with her. Now she refuses to sit on the potty even with chocolate / lolly / sticker treats.

Any suggestions? She is almost 2 and half.

Thanks
    Mecil

Have you tried ditching the potty and just using the toilet? I always had much more success using the toilet than I did the potty.

Yeah I have in the past but she always wanted me to sit on my potty while she was on hers so that was a bit difficult, I will try that again though and see how we go. Thanks
    Mecil

My DD is 3 next month and she has just finally "got it" with toilet training. It took a while. She goes to daycare a couple of days a week and they were training the kids early in the year when it was summer. At home it was a bit harder, lots of accidents and she didnt seem to care if she was wet/dirty (but now she is really bothered by it). I bought one of those Dora toilet seats and a Dora stool (as you can guess she loves Dora!) and that made her want to go to the toilet more. It really takes time. Plus she'd alternate (even now) between wanting the potty or toilet. Early on I'd put her in undies and some days she would go through so many and then I'd put her in a nappy after so many accidents and then she'd ASK to go to the toilet/potty! I noticed a big difference from about the age of 2 and 7 months, she really seemed to understand it more then. We had a bit of a break from TT and I'd started again after a month or so. I find when they are exposed to it again after a break they seem to understand it more or are more "ready" to try again. We had a big relapse when she had gastro as we had to go back to nappies and I was in hospital so I had to leave it again for a month but now she is doing really well except we still use nappies for sleep time. I would keep trying if I were you and if she is not really understanding give it a break and try again. I guess though it is just persistence too,keep on offering the potty and asking if she needs to do a wee and one day she will start telling you she wants to go more. I give a lot of praise when she does something in the potty/toilet, I didnt use any reward charts or anything. I have heard too that if you train them closer to age 3, it is quicker than trying to train them at a younger age - they might learn but it can take longer. Oh and have you got any books about using the potty? I bought some off an online bookstore and it helped in understanding when she saw other girls using the potty/toilet and what its for.

Certainly don't push it. she is still quite young, and pushing does way more damage than good.
    Just leave it lying around and see if she will go any time on her own. Leaving it near the bath for bath time is a good idea too, as the sound of running water helps.

Have you tried putting some food dye in the bottom (blue works best) and telling her if she does a wee in there it will magically change colour? that's a fun one i have used before rather than other treats. Is something different too.

Goodluck.

To get my DD to go in the potty I would also sit on the toilet and "show" her what she needed to do. To this day she will still watch her wee come out lol daycare helped too as she saw all the other kids doing it and wanted in.