Thread: How to dry/wet bucket cloth nappies

Question How to dry/wet bucket cloth nappies

Ok, one of these days I'm gonna take the plunge and do cloth, but atm I'm trying to get my head around the cleaning aspect.

I've read that you can either dry or wet bucket them, ie. keep them before laundering.

If you keep them in a "dry" bucket, then doesn't it 1. stink, 2. harder to get the business off, 3. get mildewy? (in 24 hours)

what do you guys do? do you clean off the business in the loo, and then put it in a bucket until you clean it? Do the above questions still apply?

I'm a bit anal about my laundry so this kind of question is really important to me. Plus I'd have to have a days worth of nappies for a "load" as I would be washing them seperately from the rest of the laundry.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    If you keep them in a "dry" bucket, then doesn't it 1. stink, 2. harder to get the business off, 3. get mildewy? (in 24 hours)

what do you guys do? do you clean off the business in the loo, and then put it in a bucket until you clean it? Do the above questions still apply?
    1. yes, when the lid is off LOL.
    2. nope!
    3.yes, the inside of the bucket gets 'wet'...i rinse it out with disinfectant when i wash the nappies.

yes lol :P

soaking supposingly soaks in the smells aswell...its just not necessary.

i would recommend going to 'all about nappies' , 'modern cloth nappies org' and the 'ozcloth nappies' sites FAQ for heaps of great info on drypailing and all things cloth.

1) It can be a bit smelly with a dry bucket but you can use a deodorising disk which helps. It's really not all that bad though.
    2) It's not harder to get the business off. Microfleece liners are brilliant (or you can get flushable ones if you're not into washing them but really it's not that bad) Sometimes I give them a little rinse.
    3) I haven't had mildew problems though I don't live in Qld it has been unusually humid down here of late.

I did do the soaking nappy thing with my first child and it was smelly so I don't think you can get away from the smell either way.