Thread: making wipes

Default making wipes

Hi I am getting my sewing machine out tomorrow and If I can be bothered I was thinking about making some wipes. How big should they be? I ws thinking roughly the size of the commercial ones? How big are yours and are double thickness ones a pain for getting into the nooks and crannies?

I have some flanelette and some velour fabric, can I join the two together? Will velour work for wipes? I am thinking of using some for making kiddy trackpants later on too. Any other uses?

They will be a bit funny coloured, turquoise with star flanellette then purple pastel velour. Oh well it is only for cleaning bottoms with .

I made terry towelling ones and overlocked the edges. I've got some the size of normal face washers (25 x 25cm I think) and some half that size (25x12). I was going to make some in other fabrics but these work well and wash up easily. My SiL has small flannelette ones (maybe 5x8). I find them ok for wee bit not large or thick enough for poo. She has also managed to get them stuck in the washing machine - they now go in a bra bag!

cloud_skye Guest

Mine are just bigger than my hand and only one layer.

Lindys Guest

Hi Luey

Velour is FAB for wipes. Very effective and SO soft on delicate little bums My favourite wipes are those with velour one side and terry/sherpa/flanelette on the other.

Size wise...I use an old huggies wipes container, and they fit perfectly into that when folded in half. Any smaller than this and I find them too fiddly. I just put them in dry, add enough water to moisten them all and viola! Wipes ready to go.

Have fun sewing

I have been doing some plain flannelette ones today. I got 4 from a flat flanny nappy, each is 4 layers thick, which really isn't that much.

The velour sounds great though, I might give that a go.

I've just made some from cotton rich fleece (or sherpa as it's called on some online stores) and flanelette. I made them the size of a face washer and overlocked the two pieces together.

I like the sound of using velour. Is that from a towel that you're going to cut up or can you buy velour towelling by the metre?

Hi, It is some stuff I bought by the metre, originally to make myself a "tracksuit". From Spotlight . The tracksuit is cut out and half made but the pants are too big/look terrible on me and am stuck on the top. Will get around to it one day. I have since discovered I don't really like wearing the clothes I make . I have basic skills though and will be good to run up fleece jumpers and trackies for kiddies. I wouldn't mind an overlocker but not sure how often it would get used. I have some stitches I can use instead on my machine.