Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nappy Rash Lifesaver

Exclamation Nappy Rash Lifesaver

hey everyone

I thought i would come in here and share the most fantastic nappy rash cure there is (IMO)

My girls have suffered extremely bad nappy rash over the time where they would get blisters the size of 50cent pieces on their bums while teething and nothing worked like this product... They used to also get a bladder/urine infection because they were so scared to wee cause it hurt they would hold it in.

so I was told to use..

opsite flexifix

made by smith and nephew

it is a breathable skin you place over the affected area. I dont know if you have ever had a drip or canula put in but you know how they use that clear thin like bandaids over the top well thats what this is like.

It allows your child to wee or pooh without screaming in pain form the burning as the wee and pooh don't make contact with the rash.

It is very breathable. sticks in place and can last up to 2 days (depending whether you get nugget pooh or squishy pooh). My girls rash would be gone entirely withing 3 days!!!!!

they use it on elderly people who find band aids to harsh on there skin.

Most chemists sell it in the dressing area. Its about $4 per metre but a metre can last you a long time.

So i hope this helps you if you are ever in need.

Excellant, will have to keep an eye out on this when I have to face the dreaded nappy rash again. Thanks for sharing.

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing

I 2nd it after Beatrix sent me some for DD2!!!

Works wonders

thanks! I'll keep that in mind!! thanks heaps

Thank you!
    Mac has really bad nappy rash at the moment and pawpaw and sudocream arn't working, i will give this a try

OOhh, so going to try this.

2 days ago overnight DD came out in the worst nappy rash i have ever seen. On both sides it is these long cracked open bleeding sores about 8cm long, and generally red and inflammed all over.. I have no idea how it happened (i think a virus), she was fine one day and overnight it went this bad.

We have been using Zinc & Castor Oil cream at night, and a combo of cortisone and anti-fungal during the day every 2 hours with just water and face washer to clean her. The redness is down but it still looks shocking with the open part...

I'll go out when she wakes up and try this.

Interested to hear if anyone else has tried this yet?

curl Guest

Sounds like a great idea on the open wounds of nappy rash.

However, cornflower was recommended to me by my SIL when our first was born. My SIL gave me a shaker and a bag of cornflower when DD1 was born. She said it was recommended to her by fellow nurses at the hospital she worked at when she had her daughter. It works! Cheaper than all the creams, lotions etc. I've found that when nappy rash first appears a sprinkle on the area and the redness disappears fairly quickly. On the really nasty rashes with sores it goes after a day or two.

Since I need a cure right now and no way can I brave the trip to the chemist with the kids in tow and there is no cornflour in my pantry I'm trying this remedy I found on minti.
    *Two teaspoons of BICARB SODA (aka baking soda) in One cup of warm water
    Dissolve Bicarb soda in warm water and dribble on babies bottom to cover whole of affected area plus a centimeter (minimum) around.

*****Please do not use as a paste, or just sprinkle it on the bottom. I made this mistake once and My baby screamed i thought i was really hurting her. It stings them some thing chronic!!!! ALWAYS DILUTE!!!!!!!!!

If possible, allow to air dry before applying a nappy. Otherwise apply nappy but dont completely dry the skin as the water needs to soak in. But dont have the nappy get sopping wet either.

**Otherwise, in a bath (assuming you use a babies bath) dilute 1-2 Tablespoons in the water, but only add AFTER you have cleaned babies face and hair. And pat bottom gently when Drying.

Repeat until bottom looks clear, and although not necessary, once bottom is looking better i would apply some paw paw cream or vaseline to give the bottom some barrier.

*****Do NOT use baby wipes, use a warm soft flannel to clean bottom. Only use baby wipes again AFTER affected area is gone. Even scent free and chemical free baby wipes aren't good. What i would do, though its gross, is just put baby in a bath and let the water wash the poo off.

I will NEVER use anything else. the other creams are good, but they can take a while (in my experience) this is fast, and effective, and best of all CHEAP!!!!!!!!

I really hope this helps some people.Actually i know it will help anyone who trys it

Good luck xxxx
    Will let you know if it doesn't work.

My DH had a 'never ending, never healing, bleeding' cold sore for about 3 weeks. I rang my NP who suggested the same thing. he put it on his lips before bed, and within 24 hours it was all gone.

Hope it works for the little miss

Lisa

Well, we are still going from July with the bad nappy rash.

I've used the opsite, and tegaderm, and an assortment of creams, and cortisone, and still can't get it to clear up. The opsite was good, but as her poos are still bfed and watery, after each poo it would be underneath it, so i would have to change it over. Even doing that it wouldn't heal it 100%, and the few times i've got all the sores healed, the backside is still red and sore looking, and will break open at the slightest thing.

Will try the baking soda also.

Has anyone found this kind of chronic bad nappy rash is caused by food allergies?? I'm hoping its something easy, as i have severe eczema and i'm praying it's not that.

Yael,
    I use a cream called Covitol, and I only use it for extreme occasions. It stinks like fish (it has cod liver oil in it) but I find it to work really quickly. I apply it really thick over the entire area and then I use Curash powder over the top. By the morning, most of the rash is settled and by the second day it is completly gone.

Is she eating any solids? Or do you think it cold be somethign your eating and transferring through b/f?

I hope you find something that works soon.

PS I read in a health mag the other day about a brand Elixr8 (i think). Apparantley these creams are fab for kids with a range of skin conditions. Might want to google it.

Lisa

Is covitol by prescription? She is on solids, but no wheat or dairy. I will google elixr8, thanks.

curl Guest

Both my DD's would get really nasty nappy rash if they or I ate certain foods (while bf'ing). Our main triggers were strawberries, tomatoes, mandarines, oranges, nectarines... I still find that their little bums look burned after eating these foods and one of them is toilet trained. Problem is they love these foods, I just have to be careful of how much they eat.

I have heard about strawberries doing that to little bums!

Yael - its an over the counter cream (ring your pharmacy first to make sure they have it). If you cant find it in your area, let me know and I'll send you one. I have a couple of spare tubes.

Lisa

Nope the bicarb didn't work, looks a little better, but dried as opposed to clearing. We're trying a nappy free day today - after the plumber has gone will go and get cornflour and covitol if I can find it. If neither of those work, then I'll try Beatrix's opsite flexifix, I'd have the same issue as Yael being that her poos are like soup.

At least with no nappy she isn't screaming when weeing or pooing, so maybe the bicarb did help a little, but not enough.

hi! just wondering, are your bubs' nappy rash extreme (like open sores and blisters) or just extremely red and painful?

my daughter had diarrhea early last week and came out with a very bad nappy rash. she'd cry as soon as i lay her down to change her. stopped using wipes and started using wet cotton balls and would put desitin and cornstarch powder over it around tuesday and by thursday, she wasn't crying at every change. her bowel movements were still not the best but they became ok. continued/continuing with the cornstarch powder but her tummy's gone bad again yesterday and nappy rash is back. her pained cries are breaking my heart when i change her and i want to get rid of this rash ASAP.

wondering if opsite flexifix that beatrix recommends will be suitable for her. or do i just ride this out for the 2 days or so that it takes to clear the pain?

btw, any ideas on how to have nappy free time in this cold weather with a mobile bub without having wet spots on the carpet?
    Last edited by fianne; August 14th, 2008 at 10:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast