Thread: Nappy wars

Default Nappy wars

I am at my wits end with Maggie and nappy changes. She will not lie still, she tries to either crawl off or stand up. If I try to hold her down she gets very upset. I have tried distraction, but it rarely works, even having DH help is not much of a help.

What makes it really bad is that she has the habit of weeing when she stands up or after she has crawled off for a bit. She knows what she is doing as she looks at me and giggles hysterically. It is really bad with pooey nappies, very hard to clean her and not get poo on everything, I end up just having to strip her off and take her in the shower.

Any ideas on what to do? She is also a pain with clothing changes.

Colleen Guest

Hi Astrid,

I have the same prob with Jay... The only solution Ive found so far is to distract him with something, the funny part is, I watched the childcare lady change him & he laid there perfectly still! :shock:

Good Luck

Colleen

Ohh Astrid,

I hope someone comes on with a good suggestion, because we are starting to enter this phase ourselves. As soon as I put Pup down, he immediantly rolls over. What should be a 2 minute nappy change can turn into a 5 - 10 minute battle.

Ah the dreaded nappy roll!

The best thing I have found to work is to get them to hold the powder or cream for you. even if you don't use pawders or creams!
    Both my boys liked the idea of putting the powder on for me. I have always had cornstarch powder (j&j's brand) on hand at nappy changes. Even if its an empty bottle.

The only other thing I can suggest is to try & stay calm. If its esier to strip off & put them in the shower, then just do it! I often still need DH to hold glenn down while I change his bum, but he is getting better. At one point I had to pull out the change table again so I could strap him down to do it!.

Doing it onthe floor in front of the tv with boobah or wiggles or something like that on maybe?

Thanks for all the ideas. I do actually change her in front of the TV, she seems to be immune to it, except for Dr Phil. Sometimes giving her something to play with works. I know what would probably work though, my keys or my mobile. Bit risky though, as I do not know how much more slobber they can take.

Astrid,

my DH goes through mobiles like water and we have a few handsets around here that aren't in use. Pup now has him own to slober over. Same goes for a pager and an old tv remote!!!

Jeez - we give Jenna our living mobiles and remotes!!! She lvoes them.

Yeah - this is a problem, but its par for the course. I was just thinking yesterday that Ibet if someones else changed her other than DH or I, she would lie perfectly still.

No other advice than what has already been mentioned.

Fi

Astrid, your baby loves Dr Phil That's so cute.

I wrote in to Nappycino with the same problem. The worst part for me is that Jamie tries to scratch his bottom after he's done a poo, and I get into a huge battle trying to keep his hands out of the poo while I change him. I've tried distraction. I gave him the TV remote, and he put it in the poo. Agh! I gave him our old cordless phone, he dropped it in the pooey nappy bucket!!

Someone from Nappycino suggested that I give the front part a quick wipe, then roll him onto his side. This stops him from using one of his arms at least. I have had the most success with this technique. Others suggested washing his bottom over the bathroom or laundry sink. Then there's the people that said to wash him in the shower. Am I supposed to get in there with him? I don't have a hand held shower rose, so It would mean that we both get drenched.

I actually get in the shower with her. She normally does a moring poo, so I make it my shower as well. I tried using the hand held bit and having her stand in the bottom of the shower, but she just cries and it is hard to do a proper job. I was thinking of the laundry sink, I just need to get one of those plastic shower head attachments.

Might try wiping her when she is one her side, but she flips so quickly!

Have you tried giving her a biscuit to distract her or a piece of fruit????

Hun, as scary as it is, she may be ready to be trained???? :shock:

Fletch LOL Got the Coles mag, but have not read it properly, too late now, Maggie has destroyed it. Must find some stickers, I assume big ones that she can't swallow easily.

Nadia - I'm trying a bit of EC with her so I can catch the wee before it gets on the carpet, not quite sure if she is ready to TT, better not be I have just ordered some more cloth nappies!

Matty has been doing this for months! Do you have a safety belt on your change table? This really works, bit awkward to change their top half but great for getting them to stay there.

He loves playing with the wipes plastic outers, dykwim? I have kept the empty ones and he loves the crinkly sound so much.

I also sing to him, lots of silly songs and he laughs or smiles at me...

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch
    Maybe a sticker of Dr Phil
    I laughed so hard when I read that!!