Thread: No idea what I'm doing (spare a thought for my baby..)

Default No idea what I'm doing (spare a thought for my baby..)

Hi guys

All this AIO/pockets stuff sounds interesting, however I'm going to start off with flannel flats, since I'm really not sure how big this baby will be..but I do want to get some covers..

This is where you come in. Help? How many covers do you think I'll need for a newborn? What covers do you recommend? I've been considering bummis..I'm guessing newborn size!

And where can I learn to fold flats? I'm assuming the baby won't appreciate me just making it up Any good websites with CLEAR instructions for pregnant brains?

Thanks so much!!

Yep - Bummis covers would be a great way to cover flats - flanny flats are fine for about 2-3 months I'd say, and then you may need to go to something a bit more absorbant.
    I wouldn't advise starting in the newborn sized wraps - you tend to grow out of them very quickly, and they aren't the best value for money. Maybe instead you could look at some simple PVC snibs? I think you can buy them for about $20 for a packet of 10 at some pharmacies. This should last until your baby can fit into the small bummis.
    There are lots of cover options out there for flats. Alot of people use bummis here because they are such a quality product for a reasonable price, and the velcro means you can alter your fit. I used proraps until Jenna fitted her small bummis - they were OK, but I found they stained.
    I didn't use any pins or anything to hold the nappy together, I found the snibs/wrap did a good job of holding everything in, it just meant every poo was a dirty cover too - but that didn't worry me.
    Good luck with it all! If you want more help, visit the chatter thread above where lots of people check in all the time.
    Fi

Nelle,

I had absolutely no idea how to fold a nappy when I was pg either. I had never even held a newborn before I had my own. I asked the midwives at the hospital to show me how to fold. And yeah, there are polenty of web sites too that how you how to fold.

I had flannelette flats from the word go - I still use them. I have 12 and in the beginning, I washed every day until I eventually bought fitteds, pockets, AIO etc and built up my stash. From memory, I had about 4 covers in 0000 (my baby was very small) and Fi is right, you move out of this size very quickly. I got mine from Target (I didn't know about Bummi's etc back then). They worked well enough and got me through that early stage. In fact, I still use some Target covers even now (I'm into 0 now tho!)

Like Fi, I have never used a pin with the cover - just wrap the nappy on them and use the cover over the top to secure. When I was in hospital, I used those plastic snibs (triangular piece of PVC) and secured the nappy that way. These can be washed a number of times and then you can throw them out when they become too stained, as you get a few in a pack. I think i only used 2 out of my pack when I got home.

It sort of seems overwhelming when you don't have an acutal baby yet to practice on. But it really does all come together when you have the real deal lying in front of you.

And then they move into toddlerhood and the REAL fun begins at nappy changing time!!! LOL

Nelle.. check your e-mail. I've sent you some info.

I'm new to the cloth nappy thing as well - and never thought it would be so daunting! Especially as none of my friends use cloth, so this will be a first for me too.

Thankfully, there are heaps of really helpful, supportive people online to answer the millions of questions!

Hi Nele, goodluck with the nappy thing. Also to you aswell Anna. With DD I used cloth nappies not the flannelette ones, as I found that they didnt absorb aswell. Saying that though according to my mum I had to be in flannelette as the toweling ones irritated me. I dont know what Anna has sent you but I am sure it is a how to fold. I looked up some when I had Bella and found it a bit like oragami at times. I soon got the hang of it.

I went for the snappi to do up the nappy, I had about 3 of them because I needed a backup if one of them broke. Also I would go for nappy liners. We found out about these after 2 months. It definantly helps with the poo factor and makes washing a lot easier as you dont have to stand at the sink rinsing for ages, that is unless you have reuseable ones. We went the plastic pilchers after about 1 week when she started wetting through. The soft ones didnt seem to ever be big enough.
    When going out to town or camping we would put her in disposables.

Ahh enough blabbing from me. Goodluck, you will be fine, the midwives will show you everything.

Love

Thanks guys, I think I've got my head around it a little more now! Really appreciate all your advice!