Thread: No Idea Where to Start!

Default No Idea Where to Start!

Hi,
    I want to buy some cloth nappies for my DD for when we are at home (especially now there's not so muc poo) and have had a look at the general chatter section here and am SOOOO confused - all the nappies seem to have nicknames and I never knew how many there were plus I can't seem to find them in the baby sections of the department stores. So, what would you suggest I buy? I know I don't want to use the really old fashioned ones with pins as I will stick myself and bub with my unco-ness, what's the best out of the fitted realm?? How do the sizes work?? And how do you get poo out of them?? (Sorry probably dumb questions but I am clueless and everyone I know uses disposables full time)

There is a hell of a lot of info floating around.

To answer some of your questions:-

all the nappies seem to have nicknames and I never knew how many there were plus I can't seem to find them in the baby sections of the department stores. You won't find any (well except for Pea Pods) in any baby store. You buy them online. There are a few IRL stores. If you are near someone on BB that can show you their stash, that will clear up a few things for you - its so much easier seeing them laid out in front of you.

So, what would you suggest I buy? I know I don't want to use the really old fashioned ones with pins as I will stick myself and bub with my unco-ness, what's the best out of the fitted realm?? So you want fitted? With a cover? Or are you more drawn towards all-in-ones which don't need a cover, or pockets that don't need a cover but need to be put together with their inserts? Depends on how much time you want to devote to it. All-in-2's and pockets take more time to put together because they have to be assembled, but once they are assembled, they work just like an All in one, plus they dry quicker and are usually cheaper. Most pockets are one size fits most as well, so you will get best value for money that way. Some fitteds are one size fits most, baby beehinds fitteds and Cute Tooshies, to name a few.

How do the sizes work? Depends what you are talking about. Some fitteds are OSFM and some are fitted but are pretty generous - say from birth to 7kg or 5kg to 11kg. They usually go up to around 16kg in most nappies. Its best to measure on your child's measurements though, and not just weight. All the ones you see on websites will come with this information.

And how do you get poo out of them?? We have a little squirt which attaches to the side of the toilet and you spray the poo off the nappy into the toilet. easy peasy.

(Sorry probably dumb questions but I am clueless and everyone I know uses disposables full time) There is absolutely no such thing as a dumb question.

Hmmm, Ok, well I have just been perousing a bunch of websites and think I want AIO or Pockets that turn into AIO in OSFM preferably, without an additional cover. Anyone who has a variety of brands - I'd really appreciate your input as to which you find best and why.

Couple of questions too(again)

How long are we talking about when we say they take a while to dry. I'm talking standard type sunny mid=temp day, and do they withstand tumble drying??

I have a long, thin bubba - so her weight is lower than most her age (hence skinner legs) but she is really long - will these type of nappies cause leakage problems because of that?

Also, if I like them and buy quite a few so can go, say 2 days each wash cycle. Will they last more than one child? - the main reason I am interested in cloth nappies is because we plan on 3 kids, and I would hope to get at least 2 babies out of the one nappy KWIM for cost effectiveness. Because the MCN's are quite expensive and Aldi's disposables are very absorbent and not as expensive as the mainstream brands so just want to make sure would be getting my moneys worth.

Hmmm, Ok, well I have just been perousing a bunch of websites and think I want AIO or Pockets that turn into AIO in OSFM preferably, without an additional cover. Anyone who has a variety of brands - I'd really appreciate your input as to which you find best and why.

I have a wide variety of brands in my stash. I have a lot of pockets (bumg's are the best, which is why they are the most expensive, but happy heiny's, green kids, ecobubs - all good brands) Some pockets you can use as night nappies too - which saves you having to buy a particular night nappy - you just have to use the right "stuffing" for them. Bumg's, happys, green kids - all OSFM. Ecobubs are sized.

Couple of questions too(again)

How long are we talking about when we say they take a while to dry. I'm talking standard type sunny mid=temp day, and do they withstand tumble drying??

I dry mine inside, so they take 2 days inside to dry - and the bamboo inserts I chuck in the dryer. Its not recommended to put PUL in the dryer (what the pocket shells are made out of and whats in AIO's to make it waterproof) but you can do it on low if you need to.

I have a long, thin bubba - so her weight is lower than most her age (hence skinner legs) but she is really long - will these type of nappies cause leakage problems because of that?

Mine are long and thin too. I don't have too much problem with leakage. The only reason I have a problem with leakage is if the nappy is either too big for them yet, or if there is too much stuffing in them between the shell of the nappy and their butt.

Also, if I like them and buy quite a few so can go, say 2 days each wash cycle. Will they last more than one child? - the main reason I am interested in cloth nappies is because we plan on 3 kids, and I would hope to get at least 2 babies out of the one nappy KWIM for cost effectiveness. Because the MCN's are quite expensive and Aldi's disposables are very absorbent and not as expensive as the mainstream brands so just want to make sure would be getting my moneys worth.

I wash every second day. I am onto my second child now in MCN's and I know they will last for the next one as well. I have a lot of newborn stuff that looks hardly used as they grow so quickly, but all my other nappies are still in good condition. If you are paying a good price for the nappies - you are generally assured that they will last a long time.

Most nappies (the big brands) offer like a 6 month or 12 month warranty with them anyway so if they fail before that time, you get them replaced for free.

HTH.

Thanks for your replies Arimeh,
    I have been looking at your little store and want to purchase a couple to trial - Question - with the greenkids, do I need to purchase an insert and a booster for an overnight nappy??\
    NEver mind, I just found the small print which tells me, sorry.

lol

If it helps at all, I use the microfibre, bamboo insert and bamboo booster with my green kids for night time use My son is a pretty heavy wetter and it lasts all night.