Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other cloth products - Breast pads?

Default Other cloth products - Breast pads?

Hey there, cloth folk!
    Has anyone tried to make their own breast pads? If so, what materials would you use? How effective would they be (would they leak)? How would you launder them to make sure the bacteria didn't build up? Given the risk of bacteria sticking around because of the milk, is it just safer to stick with disposables?
    Thanks!

Amy, I don't make them, but I do use disposable breat pads: I use the Avent ones. To wash them (I am pretty paranoid about bacteria/thrush after a case of nipple thrush when I was BF Charlie.......determined never to have that happen again with Lexie):

Soak overnight in a napisan solution
    Machine wash the nect day in a whites wash (so quite hot) with an extra rinse.

So far so good......4 months BF with cloth pads and no thrush.....(I usually wear 2 pairs a day)

Thanks ladies. Where do you buy them from?

Ask any chemist that stocks Avent products to order them in for you. Mine arrived the next day.

Amy,
    I have only used cloth for both babies, and have only ever had one breakout of thrush which wasn't related to breastpad use!
    The Avent ones are seriously not the best on the market - there are heaps better ones around! Have a look at Weewuns for starters - they make all sorts, and hemp is a great absorbant way to go - plus has anti-bacterial properties.
    I have about 10pairs of cloth breast pads, and they are all I ever wear. They take a few washes to break in, but so much more comfortable than paper ones.

Great, thanks everyone. I feel really bad about all the plastic etc that I'm throwing away. I'm glad there are alternatives.

Fi - where do you get the weewuns ones from?

www dot theweewuns dot au dot com fwdslash store should do it.

Thanks Kar.

Hey (tongue in cheek) if you're feeling a bit bad about throwing out your disposable breast pads........you should check out the cloth nappy thread! Disposable nappies are a lot bigger than disposable breast pads and modern cloth nappies are so much fun!

Ha ha, nice plug there, Chocolatecatty. I have been introduced to the wonders of modern cloth, thanks! We are using sposies most of the time because I haven't gotten my act together quite yet, but I intend for Natalie to be a mostly cloth nappied baby.

Have just looked on the weewuns for the pads. What do people reckon would be better:
    Swaddlebees organic velour - two layers cotton velour, one layer of terry
    Swaddlebees velour/hemp - one layer velour, two layers cotton/hemp terry
    Mother of Eden - one layer fleece, three layers flannel, one layer leak-proof material

These are all in my price range and I can't decide... Thinking about the leak-proofing one, but isn't that the point? Surely the others would be leak-proof too... What do you reckon is going to be the most comfy/absorbent?
    Thanks for the advice, girls

My advice would be to try one set of each
    I have the velour hemp - they are OK but take a while to break in, also quite bulky. Im pretty happy with my disana flannel ones - they have a water proof layer and have been great so far.
    MOE ones will be nice, I have a similar pair from snazzipants in NZ and they are very absorbant but bulky

Thanks for this thread! Have just been to the wee wuns and ordered myself the swaddlebee hemp pads, and some of the Disana flannel/microfibre ones. YAY! I've been dying to buy some cloth products, but am still trying to get my head around MCN LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Fi View Post
    My advice would be to try one set of each
    LOL, Fi, I have to save my cash for more nappies
    I've gone for the MOE ones.
    Sezjm, let me know what you think of the Swaddlebees.

Amy - go and buy some very cheap facewashers to use at home. That is the best way to save money! Save the flashy breastpads for when you are going out.
    I have even been known to turn up to peoples houses with a facewasher in one side, and a cloth pad in the other. Or even better - my bra still unclipped, and my boobies very uneven Oh well - I know I'm doing something good for my child (And for my wallet!)

Heh, heh. Baby brain is a beautiful thing
    Good idea about the face washers - I have them coming out my ears coz I bought some then we got some for presents. I never even thought of it. Will save the sposies I have left for outings too.

Or even better - my bra still unclipped, and my boobies very uneven
    PMSL Fi, me too.....my BIL asked me the other night "Lucy, why are you so lopsided?" LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast