Thread: Plain old flats... which is best

Default Plain old flats... which is best

I am planning on using a mixture of MCN's and Flats for bub #2.

What is the best type of flat nappy to fold with?

Terry?
    Flannel?
    Fleece?
    Muslin?

If i place a bamboo booster inside and a PUL on the outside will that be ok?

And is it best to buy them made up a squares or cheaper to buy bulk materal and cut up?

from what i understand (feel free guys to correct me though i am a bit of a newbie!) terry is the most absorbant of the materials so good for when bubs get older but huuuuuge on a newborn.. that flannel or muslin is good for newborns and most ppl prefer flannel... ur idea of the booster and the pul sounds pretty good.. my dd is just in terry squares folded in the pad fold with a pul cover over it during the day and i find as long as i change frequantly enough thats enough for her.. we use mcn at night and when we go out though.. i bought made up squares but it probably is cheaper to buy in bulk if u know how to sew and can sew the edges..

Thanks noni - yes i have DD in MCN at the moment and have a heap for when bub is big enough.
    BUt i have read they are sometimes too bulky for newborns so going to go with flats for a little while (plus stop the liquid poo getting caught in the elastic etc) lol

I used Terry flats on Nina for the first few months. And now that I have MCN, I would never go back to flats! For me personally, I find the flats to be bulkier on a baby, especially a newborn, rather than a MCN.
    I've only ever used Terry, so can't comment on the other materials. And I bought them already cut into squares.
    Putting a bamboo booster inside is a good idea as well.

Flannelette definitely is trimmer, and can be used as spit/spew cloths later. Don't forget the option of prefolds too, we use prefolds on our little ones and they're good without requiring quite as much origami as flats.

I used sposies til 6 weeks and then switched to terry flats/lanolized wool covers. The wool covers are amazing, absolutely no leaks even when she sleeps for 10 hours. No poo leaks either, had heaps of wet and pooey leaks with sposies even with very frequent changing. The wool is nice and dry, smells nice and is easy to keep clean. I think they're expensive to buy, I made mine from spotlight sale wool so they cost about $2.50 each plus a few hours of work. SO worth it.

With my first born i used teryy flats and found them too bulky with second i was lazy and used sposies with this one i have sewn flannelette flats for newborn bub and will then go into MCNs.... i suppose it is personal preference.

so if i go to spotlight. look for flannelette???
    Is it called anything else? Ie cotton poly or something tehnical?

i buy the flannelette from spotlight it is called NAPPY FLANNELETTE and i think from memory it is $2.50 p/metre.
    I also bought micro-polar fleece for liners... so we shall see how we go....

Gee how cheap is that Katones!
    Ok nappy flannelette say 30x 30 squares???
    And micropolar fleece- i was in spotlight for the sale yesterday and was looking at the the fleece and couldnt remember which one i was supposed to get to make liners! DOH!

But that is good - there is a litle fabric shop down the road i shall visit tomorrow!

Katones is this your first bub - i just realised we are only days apart! lol

nope this is my third bub.

for making the flannelette squares you have to pre-wash the flannelette, and i measure 63x63 allowing for the hems, making them i think 61x61 which is the size i took from terry squares in the shops....

Yep, we used flanny flats for the first four months and then moved on to terry flats after that. We now use a combo of flats and MCN. As much as I love my MCN, I think I would miss my flats if I didn't use them! I love that when his poo is disgusting from ABs (like now ) that I can still use cloth but not worry about it getting stained.........when the flats are grotty I can just soak the beejeesus out of them LOL!

ok now i just need to learn how to fold them!
    The girls at my BBH party did this nifty way of folding to catch poo in the middle... cant remember now though lol

Can you buy flannie flats? I can't find them anywhere. I don't have a sewing machine to make my own, but I wish I did!!
    Last edited by SunnyRain; July 23rd, 2008 at 05:56 PM.

you most certainly can buy flanny flats BUT they are hard too come across, good luck

I've never had any problems, though I have heard people complain that they're hard to find. I've bought them from both Kmart and Baby Bunting.