Thread: potty drama

Default potty drama

Hey guys i really need some suggestion on my 21/2 year old toddler Im trying to train in vain.Im due again in feb with bub 4# im really trying to get the potty training right. When i put training undies on she just pulls them off and says "Nudy now" cute it might be but its really is starting to frustrate me as now im 5 months pregi. When i put a nappy on she will wee tell me then take the nappy off. I dont think im starting too early as my 3 year old was pretty much done by 21/2 some say all kids are different but i dont know i think they like to just play hookie. Please anyone i have a dead line i need help

kittykay

*Beccy* Guest

Dear KittyKat. My DD toilet trained very quickly thanks to a fantastic idea from my big sister.

Buy a potty seat that sits under your normal toilet seat. Also, buy some very glittery bright stickers. The ones I mean are kinda plastic, not paper stickers.

Show and tell your child that everytime she does a #1 or #2 on the toilet you will let her pick a sticker and place it onto the potty seat. It's like a reward chart.

Then, you save yourself cleaning potties and you introduce your child to the big toilet. Also, the potty seat that sits under your toilet seat is kind of protected, (no mess) and I used to just wipe it down with some disinfectant and a cloth when needed.

My DD thought it was fantastic and showed keen interest in doing something on the toilet just to put a new sticker on the seat....it worked beautifully and the seat was soon covered with bright stickers!

Hope that trick helps. It worked for me!

Kind regards
    Beccy

All you can do is keep encouraging her but it's not a good idea to work to a deadline, as all kids are different. What worked with one child won't nescessarily work with the other. If she is showing signs then that is great, but if she isn't then she could dig in her heels and refuse to defy you on purpose.
    A new baby really can upset things when you have been travelling along really well.
    My three year old TT himself pretty much but since I've had Caleb home he's regressed and has been doing both wee and poo in his jocks. It is getting me down a bit as you can well imagine and I've considered putting him back in nappies when I've been upset with it, especially after having to rinse out his third pair of pooey jocks for the day.

*Beccy* Guest

Fletch ~ Chantelle was about 2 1/2yrs. We'd started TT, but had to move towns for my DH's work. With all the travelling, we had to do it was easier to have nappies on her so she regressed a little (my fault) and then once settled in the new house my sister gave me the idea and we never looked back.

Sammyj ~ Your sons regression is very common. Maybe you could make a point of telling him that the baby wears nappies and he's a big boy. Maybe you could try a reward chart. Get a piece of bright coloured cardboard and everytime he goes to the *big toilet* he gets a star (or bright sticker)...then when he's been say 5 times...he can have a reward. Maybe take ice-creams to the park and let him see that his good toilet behaviour gets him something special. Kids love parks and ice-creams....that sort of reward really worked for my DD.

Chantelle is 4yrs now and is off to Prep in 2007. So, we're going thought the *wiping own bottom* stage atm. I have a reward chart up with stars for her now. If she wipes her own bottom 5 times, I will buy her a baby bratz. We usually do outdoorsy stuff for rewards, but this time she's hangin out for a baby bratz and it really encourages her to do the right thing. Plus she's learning that she needs to work towards something...it's not just given to her! Does that make sense ???

Beccy

Beccy that is a great idea....I will put that info in my pocket, to keep for later

*Beccy* Guest

Thanks Elly... my sister had to take all the credit, she is a wonderful mother (of 3) and a pre-school teacher...so she's knows her *Positive Parenting* stuff!!! LOL.

Beccy

Beccy, Your sister sounds like a very handy person to have around! hehehehe....I just posted a thread about trying to get my toddler to have a daily nap without me driving him around in the car etc....I hate the controlled crying thing...So I refuse to do it at this stage. He is just so determined to have his way, but he really needs to nap when he is tired and grizzly....Just wish I had the magic tools!!!

*Beccy* Guest

Ally ~ Toddler can be very headstrong and it's horrible when you know they are tired and need a nap.

The only thing I can suggest is to start making some sort of rest-time routine. Like, lunch, clean up face & hands, then read a book on the bed. Some controlled crying will be necessary...don't drive around in the car...because once the new baby comes, you won't be able to drive around...or you'll be too busy trying to organise or settle bub. You need to nip this in the bud now!

Make sure you tell your child ahead of time what you expect of them. Like, "after lunch honey we're gonna clean up your face and we'll read a nice book before you have a sleep". Don't just demand them to have a sleep...they will rebel.

I think it will take a good couple of weeks, but you will find that your child will realise that there is a routine coming into place. Some days they will be super-energised and you'll have no hope...but other days you'll find your child looking forward to bed.

Chantelle has become great for me at night (most times). We bath, clean teeth and hop into her bed and read 1 book. Everytime I finish the book, I hop up, but it back in the bookcase, turn out her light and then I sit with her and we talk about her day and what's going to happen the next day...so she's aware of what's happening in the coming week. She seems to really respond to this and it settles her..then I always go out of the room and return in 2 mins, then out again and return in 5 mins....now I'm not gone 2 mins and she's asleep.

She's doing great...and I need that to happen because once the new baby comes, I will need her to go to bed so that I can feed bubby and settle the new baby....so there's no change in her nightly rountine at all!

Sorry it's turned into a novel, but I thought I would explain what I do - and it seems to work well. MOST DAYS....LOL !!!

Hope you find some inspiration and get a rest-time routine organised soon!

Luv Beccy

Thanks Beccy...Much appreciated ...You are dead right..I need to nip it in the bud now!!! He knows that his bedroom is for sleeping and changing. So whenever we go in there he throws a tanty! I am thinking of laying on his little sofa bed with him on the floor in the family room with tv off and toys away...Giving him his bottle, and if he doesnt go to sleep, I will just keep it quite and boring for a while, and see how he goes...Thanks again!

Hey becky thanks for the great ideas not just tt but for sleeps too . I do agree that some crying will be happening when trying to put your little one down ellyboo but when there is another one on the way your really need to get him to settle with min fuss and into some sort of routine come lunch. It hard bloody hard but what is going to be harder is having to drive him around to get him to sleep when you have bubs screaming for a feed. Good luck and bec keep the tips coming.

kittykat

*Beccy* Guest

Ally ~ I totally agree with KittyKat....it's bloody hard, they make us feel so guilty...and they know it too!!!! LOL

Your idea of laying with him at first with no tv or toys is great. Maybe even read him a book while he has his bottle. Then when he's bigger the *routine* is the same, but he can have a cup of milk and then a book. He will get to understand that the milk and book is the signal for Quiet Time.
    Then after he's used to that, you can start to move out of the room after you have finished reading the book, and start to let him quieten himself down. But remember, if he has you to lay with him, he will want you all the time in the future to help him quieten down!!!

I know of a lady that has to lay and pat both her sons (6 & 8yrs) until they fall asleep each night. She made the mistake of doing that in the beginning and man is she paying for it now.

Be strong honey....you have to do it for his own good...it's not being nasty...it's teaching him to find some quiet time in his day...which we all love...watching TV, Reading, sitting down on a rainy day to enjoy the smell and sound of the rain on the roof.

Tonight I read Chantelle 2 little books in her bed. I put them straight back into the bookcase, kissed her goodnight and told her I loved her all the way to the moon and back. She called out *mummy I need you*....I quietly said "it's bedtime love, see you in the morning". I left the room and all I heard was her singing nursery rhymes to herself in this happy little voice for about 5 mins and then she was asleep...what a way to go to sleep....HAPPY !! It's not silly, nor is it a horrible thing to teach your child. But, always do what's right in *your heart* !!

Good luck...please let me know how you get on ... I'm here if you need support. I've been there and I'm going right down the same track. LOL.

KittyKat ~ Glad you like my tips. My sister is not only a teacher but she is employed to teach *Positive Parenting* to alot of parents at a few schools up north. So, she's very clever at understanding child behaviour and also looking toward the future to help them do well in school !!

Luv Beccy

Beccy, can you remember what the brand of potty seat was you used?

*Beccy* Guest

Hi MiMo ~ I can't remember brand name. It was a hard plastic seat from Target. I lived in Charters Towers (mining town out west of Qld) and all they have is Target, so I know I got it there!! LOL.

Beccy