Thread: Potty training - regressing

Default Potty training - regressing

Hi All

DD has been using the potty for wees for the past few months now with no problem at all. At home she wears undies and goes to the potty when she needs to, but when out or at naptime she wears nappies. We are in no rush to push the whole getting rid of nappy stage just yet as things had been working fine.

But in the past 3 days for no apparent reason she has started to forget to use the potty and wees in her undies whereever she is. There has been no change in our routine, no scary incident or anything that we can put this down to. So what do we do??? DH is starting to get quite angry cause he says she knows what to do so its not like it is the beginning of potty training, and I can see his pov but I don't want to discipline her too much in case it puts her off using the potty altogether.

ANy suggestions????

Has there been a big change in temperature or anything - eg gotten cold suddenly or a focus on you or DH on the baby that's due soon???

I found DH has regressed everytime he's been sick, when I was in hospital for a couple, when we go away, and now that we've come back to really cold weather.

Other than that she could just be having a moment and will get back into in a week or so when she's ready - TT has been my biggest parenting challenge so far I think and trying to stay calm through the ups and downs (cause we've had a few) has been a challenge

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

This is common with the impending arrival of a new baby and when bubs is here you will likely find it will be more so. Don't let her see that it's bothering you, do what you need to and rest assured it will eventually pass. Some special one on one time is very important now and when the baby comes. I found this with Marisa who was 2.5 at the time of Elijah's birth, she would act like a baby and wet herself, it was very frustrating at times as she would deliberately wee to act like a baby But it's all normal and if we can not make a big deal of it (which I did at first not understanding it) then it will pass quicker...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I think it's all part of the learning. Sometimes I have regression with Angus too. We have good days and bad days. I think it's best not to make an issue of it as the little monkeys can learn it's a great way to get mum's attention really fast.

Thanks for all the advice, she wasn't so bad yesterday so we will have to see how we go. It just gets so frustrating when you know that she can do it! And I think the attention thing with new baby coming along may be a big part of it too.