Thread: Putting baby on the potty...

Vanessa Guest

Default Putting baby on the potty...

Linda - SA, I noticed how you said you put your little one on the potty, is that to start potty training, if so, what age did you start?

Anyone else please answer too...

Hi Vanessa

Kameron was sitting on the potty from about a year ago fully clothed just to get him used to the idea etc. Around the time of Lachlan's birth (April) and Kam was 2.5yrs old when he did a poo in his nappy he would take it off and give it to me, so we thought we would spend the next 4 wks training him with Andrew being home as well. All research on the net said "don't train while there is a new baby on the scene" so we didn't bother. When Lachlan had settled in I got Kam to sit on the potty finally did something and we danced clapped etd.

I have found though if he wore jocks he would wet himself. I think the tightness made it feel like a nappy iykwim. Now nearly 6mths later we are still trying to train, although he is generally pretty good during the day if we are home. I am yet to make the transition of no nappies when out though and know i really should cause if we are out for long periods he gets used to a nappy again and the next day he keeps having accidents.

Love :hbeat:

hi - my daughter played with the potty from when she could walk - i tried serious training when she was two, but she didnt want to know about it. We used to have the potty with the tray in the front but I found her bottom got suction cupped a bit to that and it left a mark. We use a turtle shaped one now.

Tried again three months later and it worked a lot better - both poos and wees. We even had dry night times for about a three weeks, but this didnt last. She has the odd accident now deciding whether to use the big toilet or the potty. And she has been known to drop her pants in the yard and go outside.

I think you've just gotta take the plunge when it comes to wearing undies when you go out - try little trips, walks or somewhere close. I dont know how hard this is with two children though ??

My mum drove me *NUTS* always telling me how my brother and i were potty trained by 10 months. As if.

Barb.

Thanks Kathryn & Barb, glad to hear that 2 ish seems to be the "ideal" age, I had an awful feeling that I may have been slacking!!

The tip about the jocks is great Kathryn, I wouldn't have even thought about that. Does Kam like wearing boxers?

I have heard of bubs being TT at 12 months or less but unless I see it with my own eyes are fairly skeptical!

Looks like I have to get out and buy a potty.....any tips?

Thanks
    Jo

Our potty was brought for us so had no choice in the matter. But i have hear the potty that have steps on it which lead up to the big toilet are great cause they still use a potty but it is on the big toilet.

hi - I bought one of those step thingies for the big toilet - but our only loo is about two inches taller than your average throne and the seat thingie doesn't sit very steady. It's OK once she's on it, but its rocky trying to get up the stairs.

Also with the age on toilet training, my friends son turns three on thursday and has no interest at all in using a pot or toilet.

barb.

So, you don't recommend one of those ones that you just stick on the floor? Is it better to get them use to the big toilet right at the start?

Cheers
    Jo

Kameron has a potty on the floor Jo