Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for those with older boys.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Default Question for those with older boys.

I was talking to someone the other day and they asked me at what age you should teach a boy to wee standing up? I just had no idea so I thought I would ask you lovely ladies that had BTDT. So what age was your son when you started to teach him to wee standing up?

I've seen those things that hang over the bowl of the toilet so you can teach them from a very young age?

But good question... I'm going to need the answer some day LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Lindsay still sits down to wee, so I'm probably not a lot of help LOL. We did try to teach him just after he was TT, so he was just over 3, and he had an accident and got wee all over him and it freaked him out, so he still just sits. Which I don't have an issue with, he'll start to do it when he is ready. He can do it, and will do it sometimes. TBH I am thankful I don't have to clean the 'tinkles' off the seat. A woman I know whose son is a few years older than Lindsay she said he was nearly 7 before he would stand to do it.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Hehehehe, it is good isn't it, that's why I asked because as I said I had no idea and then thought, hmmmmmm I had better find out because I am going to need to know, lol.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

LOL Sherie, I had to have a little giggle at poor Lindsay and his wee accident, poor little mite, I don't blame him for wanting to sit.

Jillian- God I can see that happening too, why do they have such bad aim, it's not like a toilet is a small target, not like us girls when we have to pee in a sample cup. But yeah I would probably have to clean every time he's been, hate that boy pee smell. My sisters toilet used to smell to high heaven because she didn't clean it often enough after my nephew used it and I swear he must have had the worst aim even though he was like 13.

Whenever they are tall enough. My 8 and 6yr olds stand and have since they were about 3, but Ali still sits and he is 3.5. Sitting can be just as bad in the spillage department if they dont sit forward. My 2yr old will sit when I start training him next week.

Lindsay had a few accidents sitting down too, so we taught him to put his finger on the top of his willy to hold it down LOL. My brothers are 24 and 26 and they STILL miss!

mooshie Guest

with my ds it was all quite by accident actually. i originally started tt him at the age of around 2 1/2yrs but he would not have a bar of it - i tried everything, then in the end i saw us both getting frustrated so i stuck him back in nappies, around 6 mths later he took himself to the toilet one day (we have one of those seats with the steps on it) over the loo - and he promptly stood there and did a wee so from that day on it was the end of nappies (in the daytime anyway) so i am figuring all my attempts at trying to get him to do a wee sitting down just didn't work - he wanted to stand up just like dad.

i think it varies heaps i know a friend whose ds is 5yrs old and still has trouble standing up, piddles all over his shoes lol can't quite get the hang of the control atm.

oh another thing which is annoying with little boys and the piddling habits, quite often my ds (who is 6 1/2 yrs old) will stand there having a wee with the toilet door open (as they do lol) and promptly turn around mid wee to tell me something - grrr, i never believed it when people used to tell me how bad boys could be with the toilet, i seem to be wiping down the toilet seat and around the toilet floor with disinfectant at least twice a day (and he goes to school for what 6 and bit hours of that) "insert raising eyebrows and throwing hands up in the air - i give up" lol

Zeke stood up to pee from the time he was TT (around 2). He couldn't reach at first (MAJOR disaster) so we bought a little stool for him to stand on. As soon as he was tall enough, he ditched the stool. He still has occasional "misses" - mostly when he forgets to point in the right direction.

Wow ..I can see Im going to have a lot to learn. Having gone through tting girls i can see Sammy is going to be a completely different story!

Jo

Nick basically toilet trained himself, i had tried for ages, but he just wasn't interested, then when he was 2 1/2 he just started going to the toilet
    About 3 months after he was TT, he just started weeing standing up like dad
    He must have a good aim, because i havn't seen any mess on the seat or the floor when he is done

mooshie Guest

i actually think the "missing" the loo part is all to do with laziness. ds was very good when he was younger at his "aiming" but as he has gotten older he just has to get it done and in a hurry to matter what so he can continue doing what he is doing - he is so quick, wee, shake, flush. at least i have taught him that it is important to wash his hands, he seems to have that one down pat, hmmm now to work on the lifting the darn seat up grrrrr, see he is to quick, he used to always lift the seat, but no know he leaves it down - however he does close the lid when he is finished - looking for positives here lol

Xander learnt both at the same time, in the early days of toilet training we did a lot of weeing in the garden, it was fun for him and stopped the little accidents from happening when we were outside as he got older and could control it more it was praise for making it to the potty. When he was taller enough he started to wee standing up like daddy - just did it himself. Now he only sits to pee when he is pooing at the same time

I started Xander peeing in a potty as he was too short to pee in the toilet, but as soon as he was tall enough, Dh taught him how to. Now he saws I i need to pee like daddy now mum.
    I used a ping pong ball in the toilet bowl for him to aim at, worked a treat, we made it into a game HTH

Kameron is 5 on Friday and still sits down to wee. It doesn't bother me either and I know he can stand up and do it if he wants too. He stands and pees on a tree if we in the middle of nowhere out storm chasing.

Love

My son Caleb was still weeing sitting down(holding his willy down) at kinder,probably because he was still short. but the turning point for us was the summer of his kinder year(4)we got these shaped pieces of sponge that were ducks,whales and dolphins multicoloured and he used to have fun squirting them. My son is 9 now and sleepwalks and its funny but if i catch him during the night he will wee sitting on the loo. I usually have to remind him and help him back to bed otherwise he's still on the loo in the morning. But thats better than the other time sleepwalked and wee'd in the bathroom linen press. Just opened up the cupboards pulled down the boxers and away he went..aaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhh

Pauline

Mason didn't want to stand so he learned sitting which turned to standing after a road trip with foul toilets :eek: (major sympathies for those with girls there!). Angus copied Mason and tt himself standing up. That was a bit of a hassle because he then didn't want to sit for poos.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Thanks everyone for all your stories, it's interesting to see all the differences. I wonder what Jonah will decide to do?? Hopefully it's helped a lot of people in asking this question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast