Thread: Is it really cheaper?

Default Is it really cheaper?

Hi All

I am very excited and way over eager, we are still TTC but I found this thread and have fallen in love with MCN. I have been doing some calculations and worked out in theory what I would like for a Newborn. Not including washing costs it works out about $100 cheaper than disposable for the first 6 months. This is based on 40c per nappy with 10 nappy changes a day for first 6 weeks then 8/day for next 6 months. However, it probably isn't the most budget conscious list as a Berry Plush has actually found it's way onto my list with possibly an extra booster. I am also keen to try a few different brands - Baby beehinds (the deluxe trial package), peapods, Berry plush and Bumgenious (2 of in NB and small size). For the main nappy I am thinking the Bummis package, but what would I do with 36 prefolds after? Can they be used to stuff pocket nappies, as well as spew cloth etc? I guess I will always have them for the next child or can sell them.
    What do you use when bubs are bigger? 6 months plus? I liek the sound of the ones that have a large weight range or are OSFA.
    My OH is happy for me to do whatever I want. I am a bit concerned about the extra work, can you throw baby clothes in the load too? My OH did say the his mum says she thinks cloth is a lot of work. I have tons of time to think about it and may visit some shops and look at them in person and make a decision then. WE also don't have a dryer and I don't really want to get one, but I should be able to manage with an airer/ line and should have enough.

I really like the sound of BBH and was initially thinking of getting the fulltime package but I think I will wait and see. I guess the hard thing is you don't know what will work for you and bub and there are just way too many cute nappies out there. That is why I am thinking it may not be that much cheaper .

What do you use when bubs is bigger? 6 months plus? I guess I would be able to work out what I want to use after trialling a few different ones in the first amount of time.

How long does it take for the umbilical stump to heal and is the NB Bumgenious worth getting for the first few weeks or is it a wait and see how big bub is going to be? I would like a few AIO for going out etc. And the BP is just too cute, although my DH was amused at the thought of our child in leopard print underwear

Thanks for letting me rave - my OH is sick of listening to me

its great you wanna do cloth
    if you research it its much better for baby to have no nasty chemicals down there!:P
    NB's do use alot of nappies. if you change asap after a wet or dirty nappy (as for cloth or disposable) it is probably closer to almost 20 nappy changes a day at the start!!
    so you could double your figures right there. if you wash twice a week its only 2 extra loads of washing which honestly doesn't cost much (and you use half the amount of powder per load). if you look up/google the 'well womans nappy' page it has cloth vs disposable costings and they are actually ones that dont include unnecessary chemical soakers and use of iron and dryer like the ones the disposable companies put out!:P
    bummis prefolds definetly can be used as booster, pocket stuffers.
    "I guess I will always have them for the next child or can sell them. " ~very true.
    you could wash baby clothes together but if you use cloth fulltime you could just do full cloth loads. some fabrics dont wash well together. terry pills onto fleece for example.
    MCN'ing is not heaps of work compared to soaking, pinning, etc. its really only the same as normal washing an extra 2 loads per week. im not sure i would be as willing at all to use cloth if thats all there was, like in your MIL's day...
    yup dont just buy one brand in a bulk package incase you dont like it (not that you couldnt onsell..)
    i hardly ever use my dryer. the nappies last longer if you dont. i mange with those airer racks infront of the heater in winter and put them outside in summer.
    yep you will work out what you like by 6 months.
    the berryplush is basically a minky pul cover with a minky topped hemp prefold in it. i find the insert moves about to much for us. you could use normal prefolds in it instead to cut costs.
    um umbilical cord can take 2 weeks. not sure about what nappies for that one - i guess you could manuovre prefolds/wraps to the right height fairly easy
    nappycino is also a good cloth website/forum if you havent found it already. also ozcloth nappies.
    hths. enjoy your cloth journey!

pasted from wellwomans site. neither includes wipes. disposable wipes are expensive.($6?? per pack per week?) cloth wipes are great as they can be washed with nappies and are a onetime cost!)
    Financial Considerations

These costs are based upon Australian data, collected in June 2003.
    Full-time disposable nappy system

Prices vary depending on store purchased from and brand used. 0 - 4yrs

Newborn 50 per week - 50 Nappies @ 40c each = $20/week = $1040/year
    3 months + 40 per week - 40 Nappies @ 50c each = $20/week
    50 biodegradable liners - 1pkt/ fortnight @6.95 for 3yrs $542
    1 year toddler night nappies @ 65c each = $232

Total cost for full-time disposables with 1 year of toddler night nappies and biodegradable nappy liners = $3894

Total cost for full-time disposables for two children would be a total of $7,788
    Full-time square cloth nappies for 3 years with some fitted nappies for outings using earth-friendly detergents and quality fitted nappy covers

10 Muslin or Flannelette for newborns $70
    24 Terry Towelling Nappies for newborn to 3 yrs $60
    24 cloth nappy liners (optional) $72
    6 Snappy closures to hold nappy on or 24 nappy pins $30
    12 nappy covers all sizes @ $15 ea $180
    Earth-friendly detergents and nappy soak @ $2.60/week $408

Subtotal $820*

Optional Extras
    6 fitted-cloth nappies & liners for outings $113.70
    50 biodegradable nappy liners per fortnight $538

Total $1472*

Most of these items can be re-used on a second child, additional covers and closures and detergents will be required at a cost of $618 per child. This cost is spread over 3 years at $3.96/week.

Thanks for those links Joh. I will print and show to the OH. I guess one of my main questions/concerns is that although is 'cheaper', but because there are so many cute nappies do you still spend same amount or more? I think this could, if not already, turn into an addiction. Thanks for your feedback about BP, I may wait and see - already saved $50

I guess an extra 2-3 loads/week plus baby clothes (which are about 1-2 loads?) would not be too bad. I guess I would need to do some kind of washing (or 2 loads/ day). We do have a front loader, so I could set on to wash at night, but the daytime drying is of some concern, especially in winter. But we will see what happens. I would just buy another airer, I don't think space will be a problem
    Last edited by luey; March 5th, 2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: thought of more to say :)

no probs
    um yes it is easy to get addicted and buy up! *blush*
    then you turn into a cloth advocate LOL! now i honestly dont care what the cost is - i know its better (and cuter LOL) for bubs bum and the environment and would never go back to disposables:P
    yup babies create a little bit of washing anyways (especially if you get a chucky one!) and sposies can leak and you end up washing pooey clothes anyway...
    yep airers are great. if you have 'thin' nappies like prefolds you will have no probs. i love pockets when baby is older as they dry so fast in winter, just like prefolds and a cover.

Are pockets fiddly though? Quick drying time and easy to put on is attractive though. I am not sure about pockets so will try the peapods - I like how they have a big size range.

nah pockets are easy just you might need 2 layers of defense for NB runny poo, like a fitted and a cover.
    peepods are pockets.

I love my cloth - I tend to change cloth more than the 'sposies too. I just whack the cloth in the bucket for a couple of days until the bucket is full then put them on a wash. Yes, it's not a full wash, but it is a hot one so I do them alone (and this helps on the air-drying front too, more space on the airer inside during winter). My main gripe is that they're just a bit bulkier than the pampers, so I can't do the poppers of all of the vests up now Liebling has grown a bit... but in dungarees, do we need the poppers done up anyway?

I made sure I tried out all the nappies in the shops before buying them, and practiced on teddy bears at home (very good as we didn't get nappy changing lessons at the hospital). DS is very obliging and will now hold his legs out still for me sometimes!

If you do go cloth, get your OH on board. My DH likes the cost factor, but can't change a cloth nappy to save his life, he will only do the pampers. Not a problem really, just that I could do with a hand sometimes! I also don't use baby wipes, I use warm water and cotton wool balls and that seems to work well for us.

Also, something to think about is the fact that because disposables are so good at wicking away moisture and making the baby feel dry when really they have a full load, it can take longer for that awareness stage of toilet training to take place.

Something I'm going to try which is different again, is elimination communication which is about letting the baby tell you it's time to poop or wee and you take them to the toilet/bucket/basin so they can relieve themselves there rather than the nappy.

Do a web search on it. It's practiced by 85% of the worlds babies in places where nappies are not used either because of a lack of washing facilities for cloth or an economic issue as in developing countries.

Like I said, I'm going to try it (first baby coming in 6 weeks), so I can't say I know how it really works in reality but I think in terms of the environment and our household economy not to mention the comfort and wellbeing of the child it sounds very positive.

Another search phrase to use is 'natural infant hygeine'.

Even if you spend up big on MCN it's still cheaper, because you can use them on subsequent babies I think the average amount spent on disposables is $1000 per year.. so say $2500 from birth to TT for each baby! You could go NUTS spending $2500 on cloth... and STILL be saving coz of the reuse, or possible re-sell!

Yay for falling in love with MCN! woohoo!

Re the 'work' of MCN - my DS has been in terry flats and a variety of MCN since we came home from hospital 11 weeks ago. I do a load of nappies/chuck cloths every day and have not found it much work at all. Some days the dry nappies get thrown in a pile rather than neatly folded and stacked but even on the bad days,I've not yet felt that it's too hard.

Trying different ones out is a good way to go. I've just got rid of a few so I can get a few more BBH hemp (for night) and BumGenius pockets (for outings). We're using BBH and bummis covers over the flats and have found that you don't even need a snappi.

Good luck and have fun - there are so many to choose from!!

HI just a short note, I've heard that in addition to the initial savings, cloth nappies have a great re-sale value, especially the all in ones.