Thread: REALLY heavy wetter o/night - splitting disp. nappies

Default REALLY heavy wetter o/night - splitting disp. nappies

Milo all of a sudden has become a REALLY heaver wetter overnight.

He's drinking probably the same or less at his last feed than he used to, so its not like his liquid intake has increased.

The first couple of times it happened I thought he needed to go up a size, so I put him into the 10-15kg Toddler huggies. That was ok for a few days, and I thought I had solved the problem, but now he is splitting these as well.

He is wet through his clothes to his grobag every morning, and I don't know what to do. I've tried every disposable nappy I can think of, but nothing works.

So, should I try cloth nappies overnight? I would have thought they wouldn't be able to go right through the night? -- but obviously the disploables can't.

Can anyone recommend anything, and what sort of cover would be best overnight? Wool/PUL? I don't want to put him in plastic pants if I can avoid it.

Milo is just under 10kg, but slightly chunky (I have trouble fitting him in to the 10-15kg huggies though I don't have this problem with babylove or woolworths)

Rachael I hope you can come up with something because we have the same problem probably every 2nd-3rd night as well.... Cloth made no difference for us

Is it just overnight or is it throughout the day as well?

only overnight

Have you tried putting a cheap (no name brand) pad inside the nappy? I have heard that works wonders for some mums

*hugs*
    Cailin

I had never thought of that... I might just try it...

the other thing midwives/MCHNs used to suggest was a double disposable so maybe not two huggies but a huggies with a cheaper bigger one that will fit over the type although if I remember rightly they said remember to put a few holes in the bottom one so it flows through to the outer one - haven't tried it myself so don't know the effectiveness (suppose its a similar theory to Cailins idea though - although probably more expensive).

could I use a cloth doubler in a disposable nappy (assuming it would fit!)
    I have some MOE doublers lying around at home, I thought though that this would somehoe make it worse?

Theresa, could you email or PM me the links (I think you can get to my email by clicking my username and viewing my profile)

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I will be giving them a go.

DH is freaking out - he asked me "if this could be the start of bedwetting" I would think 10 months old was a bit early to make that presumption...

OK - I have decided to try out a Very Baby Simply Nights cloth nappy, cos I'd always planned to use cloth anyway..it just didn't eventuate..

In the meantime, last night I poked some (tiny) holes through a pad and stuck that inside his nappy. I also reduced his last bottle before bed by 30 ml (well, his second bottle - he normally drinks 230ml and then 60ml on top) cos he doesn't seem to be drinking for hunger, just comfort.

The result was much drier than normal, but still slightly wet, only about the size of a 50 cent ppiece thru his singlet and pants, but his top was dry.

So until we get a clothie organised we will be trialling this.

Matthew is a very heavy wetter as well, reading your posts Rachael is like reading my own experiences!

Good news is we have found a solution - disposables, we use the Aldi brand, with 2 Bebe's nappy inserts in the nappy. The Bebe's Nappy Mates can be found in Safeway, we have also used Huggies, Baby Love and Home Brand nappies and they all work well. On top of the nappy, we use a wool cover. It may sound extreme but it is the only thing that works disposble wise.The wool covers from Baby Beehinds are fantastic

Since we are heading down the full-time cloth route, we also use a VSBN with the extra doubler. In this we also use a hemp booster that we got from Baby Beehinds and a PUL or wool cover. Make sure the nappy is fully cover by the cover.

We had to wait a few weeks of using and washing the VBSN for it to work. We did find that Baby Beehind nappy's didn't work (but I may not have found the right combination of nappy/boosters) and that it really makes matters worse that Matthew is a tummy sleeper. I don't think it has anything to do with bed wetting Rachael Also, it doesn't really matter how much he drinks before bed...

Good luck

Milo is a tummy sleeper too, so theres all this unused nappy at the back and leaking at the front. I might try your Aldi recipe too

Yep - exact same with Matthew, the back is untouched! Isn't it funny that Milo slept like Matty when he was younger - hands up in the air on his back and now he is a tummy sleeper too.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Jonah did the arms up in the air on his back and is now a tummy sleeper too He also gets really wet at the front and not much at the back.

We have leaks sometimes too but not very often, well not as often as we used to.

I was going to suggest the surfboard pad too or an incontinence pad, or could he maybe need the next size up nappy? I can't remember what happened to make it stop happening here, I have the feeling it was when we went up a size in nappy.

Milo's already in the next size up nappy - I tried that first
    So far the extra padding has dramitcally reduced the wetness.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Ooooh, sorry if I missed reading that. That's great that extra padding is helping