Thread: Some sort of eco-sposie...

Default Some sort of eco-sposie...

I have to use sposies at the hospy...and no amount of protesting will change it.

So, I've surrendered to the fact that I have to, and now wondering what I should buy. I am already guilt-riddles with the fact that over three days I will create as much landfill as our household usually does in four weeks. Eco-disposables are an option, but I've heard that there's no difference unless you compost them?
    Anyone with experience with eco-sposies, what did you use and where did you get them? Anyone with knowledge on the issue - are they actually worthwhile, or do I have to sell out and support the multinationals?

Really?? Damn it!! I can't understand how they can not let you. I am going to protest!!

Ok, that wasn't helpful, lol.

I don't know sorry!

what hospital are you at hun????

We used bamboo nature for when Ds2 was first born...then I asked the midwife if I could use my cloth and she said yes they just dont wash them etc....I never inteneded them to as I know they wouldnt do it right. Just take them in and see how you go

Oh better answer your Question......I use Naturebabycare nappies now at night...its more for the reason there are no harsh chemicals etc....they do break down easier as they are made from natural stuff not plastics etc? you can buy them at woolies. Bamboo nature you can buy through nurture nappies I think?

If you go on hello charlie dot com, I dont know if its au or not, but she's deff based in australia Bambo ones, come in newborn size

Great range on there Also now Lucy is bigger I use Nature babycare(?) just from coles or woolworths....
    They're made in Switzaland with bamboo etc, they have wipes to match But dont come in newborn size...

I use babylove eco bots - they get v good ratings eco wise... but dont think they do newborn anymore...
    Also Moltex are good....

Was just reading recently about the fact that there is only one true 100% biodegradable sposie - just subbing til I find it for you.

ETA: Ok found it on femail, they are called Safeties Nature Nappies and they are sold at Macro. Many of the others use organic materials but do not break down 100% like these do.
    HtH.
    Last edited by Beach Mama; September 24th, 2010 at 10:28 AM.

Are you serious? What is their reasoning for that? I would just take them and use them anyway and send your wetbag home with DH each night. Hopefully your stay will only be 24hrs anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanstar View Post
    Was just reading recently about the fact that there is only one true 100% biodegradable sposie - just subbing til I find it for you.

ETA: Ok found it on femail, they are called Safeties Nature Nappies and they are sold at Macro. Many of the others use organic materials but do not break down 100% like these do.
    HtH.
    Unles they have fixed the problem I remember these being pulled as they were not 100% biodegrable? It was considered false advertising? Hope they have created a 100% one I will buy them for sure!
    Here some info about the bamboo nature ones
    contain no perfumes, lotions, deodorants or antioxidants
    are made from raw materials that are certified free from harmful chemicals
    are 100 % chlorine, TBT and latex free, so they are much less likely to cause an allergic reaction
    can help to prevent and reduce nappy rash
    have been recommended by the Eczema Association of Australia, and are designed and tested by the manufacturer for skin friendliness
    are highly absorbent, perfect for using overnight
    encompass the full range from premature to training pants (see size chart)
    have an eco friendly manufacturing process which means a lower eco footprint
    are approximately 75% biodegradable as opposed to the 35% in standard nappies
    have a biodegradable core with biodegradable starch granules
    come in fully recyclable packaging
    are the first nappy to be awarded the Nordic Swan Eco Label
    are made in Denmark, and shipped to Australia. Shipping is an environmentally friendly form of mass transporting

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
    Ok, that wasn't helpful, lol.
    Good for a laugh though!

Thanks guys. Boomba I'm going to the Mater, and will try your strategy...

Moltex, is it?
    Why can't you just take them in and shuttle the back and forth from home? Seems odd. Perhaps you could insist on doing elimination communication and see if they like that idea better

Oh then yeah go for it...they let me use them...just use them and dont say anythung...I dont think they can force you to use diposables? Good luck hun

yay yay yay yay yay!

Thanks boomba, best news ever! I have three sample sposies that I got, so we can use those, and then once they're gone, it's all over, and into dodge-o homemade prefolds we go!

So excited I posted twice!

Woohoo xx

Quote Originally Posted by Tanstar View Post

HtH.
    oh wow! you found somewhere that sells these?!! i used them ALL the time with DD1 and they were FANTASTIC! super absorbent and totally eco friendly! (designed in Aus too! ). ok, off to do some searching...

Cassius I am pretty sure they dont exist anymore as they were not 100% biodegradable...I tried to find their webpage but it has dissappeard??? Let men see if I can dig up the article !

Company director 'knowingly concerned' in false nappy biodegradability claims

The Federal Court of Australia has declared that a director who approved her company's advertising had been knowingly concerned in the company's misleading conduct.

Ms Charishma Seneviratne, while a director of SeNevens International Ltd, approved the company's claim that the whole of its Safeties Nature Nappy product was biodegradable, when she knew that was not the case.

Justice Marshall has imposed a five year injunction on Ms Seneviratne restraining her from being party to any nappy biodegradability claims without first having received independent scientific testing of the product being promoted.

ACCC Chairman, Mr Graeme Samuel said: "This case serves to emphasise that directors cannot hide behind their companies. If a director or employee is knowingly concerned in their company's misleading conduct, then those individuals also risk personal fines and injunctions.

The Federal Court had previously declared that the company had engaged in false or misleading conduct by making representations that the Safeties Nature Nappy was '100% biodegradeable'.

Claims that the whole of the nappy, including nappy disposal bags, were biodegradable were made on the product packaging, in promotional material and on SeNevens' website.

Justice Marshall had previously declared that the biodegradability claims were false and misleading because SeNevens' Safeties Nature Nappy range contained plastic components that are not capable of being broken down by the biological activity of living organisms.

Senevens marketed its '100% biodegradable' nappy and nappy disposal bag in Western Australia from November 2006 before expanding to all Australian States and the ACT in March 2007. SeNevens withdrew the product from sale in April 2008 after the ACCC's investigation into the claims.

Justice Marshall found that in making the claims SeNevens contravened sections 52 and 53 of the Trade Practices Act 1974 by engaging in misleading conduct about the biodegradability of its Safeties Nature Nappy. Justice Marshall imposed injunctions on SeNevens restraining it from engaging in similar conduct and ordered that SeNevens publish a corrective advertisement and establish a trade practices compliance program.

Justice Marshall has ordered the respondents to pay the ACCC's costs of the proceedings.

"Consumers are actively choosing products that are environmentally friendly. If a business makes biodegradability claims then it must ensure the claims are supported by rigorous scientific evidence."

Consumer concerns about the veracity of green marketing claims have led the ACCC to develop Green Marketing and the Trade Practices Act, a publication providing guidance for consumers and business on environmental claims in advertising. This publication can be downloaded from the ACCC's website.

SeNevens International Ltd has changed its name and now trades as Eco Quest Limited.
    This is why i worry about how being "green" is seen as a business oportunity instead of actually helping the environment

They have a new line of nappy coming out un the name Little Takas which is claiming to be 90% biodegradable????? Would be interesting to see what its like!

Sorry Audax for hijacking "

Hijacks welcome. I got my answers, and now there is open dialogue about eco-sposies and potential greenwashing. I love it.