Thread: Something very strange has started to happen

Red face Something very strange has started to happen

Since daycare and myself have started to toilet train my 2 year old little girl Leah, she had decided that whenever she does "poos" she needs to take the poo out of her nappy and either show it to us, or show it to someone else, smear it everywhere, put it in her hair and just play with it in general. Im currently pregnant with our second child so as u can imagine, this makes me violently ill. After she has done poos in her nappy she goes into a corner or somewhere where u cant see her, she then goes real quiet and starts mining. I always tell her that she just cant do this but this doesnt seem to matter and u have to watch her like a hawk at all times just waiting for her to do poos. Last night I was watching her and noticed that she in the throws of doing poos and then she started to slink away. I said to her 'Its ok Leah. U can do poos but just dont touch it etc etc" she just looked at me and kept slinking away. I took her upstairs and changed her all the time praising her for not playing with the poos but she just had this look of confusion on her face. I was thinking maybe at daycare she is being told she is naughty for doing poos in the nappy and trying to get rid of the evidence. Does anyone know of this happening to any other child or is mine the only one?

OMG that was one of my biggest fears. A friend of mine had her son wake up and before she knew he was awake had smeared poo all over his cot and himself! This happened a few times. The poor thing was beside herself, and rightly so!
    She started using bodysuits and clothes that were difficult for him to undo long enough to break the habit. I think also it would be really important to heap praise on her when she does good things, not just poo related because it could be an attention thing. I'm not saying you don't give her enough attention or anything like that but kids minds work in mysterious ways and she has learnt that she gets a good deal when she does this IYKWIM.
    I'd also talk to her daycarers and ask how they talk to her, as they shouldn't say she was naughty for doing a poo in her nappy at all.
    Good luck!

Oh Jodie! Yukkie! Um I would be asking about whats the policy at daycare. It does sound like she may think she needs to hide it. But I also know of a few parents who's kids have also done this in the past. Like Sammi, I also had a friend who woke to her son after he smeared poo on everything he could reach, cot, walls, self etc.

yukkie!

Aaah the memories. Some of my residents (aged care) used to do this too....one was a grumpy old thing who I *think* did it just to annoy those who had to clean him up...maybe it was an attention thing too though. Weird that both ages do it. Sorry I have no advice....though it sounds like it could have something to do with daycare like everyone else is saying?

So far this has only happened to me once (smearing on a wall) and it was at about that age (2yo) too. I can't recall what i did or didn't do as it was with my DD (10 years ago now).... but I probably would have made a bit of a fuss... but not gone over board. The suggestion of 'difficult to remove' clothing sounds good.... maybe put her in some overalls?

When I worked in a 0-2 room we only praised the good and ignored the 'bad' as much as possible... however I agree, that's probably a good place to start making inquiries although they could deny criticising the pooey nappies at all. Good luck, let us know how she goes. You could also try the old trick of a sticker chart for times that she does poo without touching it with her hands?