Thread: Swimming nappies

Question Swimming nappies

Hi all. Just would like to get some feedback about swim nappies. We have yet to go swimming and haven't really used swimming nappies. I do have a packet of disposables, but would prefer to stick to the cloth versions. What are some of the ones you have used and which ones would you recommend? Pup is now 9.5kg.

Hi - I used a normal disposable nappy under Caits togs when she was a baby and it blew up like a balloon ! Not sure what brand it was, probably a huggies or baby love, so would not recommend that.

Also used the huggies swimming nappies - they don't swell up in the water, but I don't know about them containing the wee ?? Have never had a child do a poo in one though. I have heard people rinse these out and use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by barbie-up
    Also used the huggies swimming nappies - they don't swell up in the water, but I don't know about them containing the wee ?? Have never had a child do a poo in one though. I have heard people rinse these out and use them again.
    yep they dont stop wee going in the pool, alot of people think they do!

I haven't actually tried any swim nappies yet, but the ones that i think look good are on a site called 'darlings down under' - 'swim about nappy'.hth's.

Yes, I like the look of the splash about swim nappies too.
    We haven't taken Milo swimming yet, but this is probably the one I will go for.

Yeah, I've seen the ones on Darlings...there is an issue with size availability with some of the types though .

We use Huggies and they seem okay.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Nup the Huggies aren't meant to hold wee. I learnt from Debbie Lee's mistake, I think it was her and she put Gab in one and she peed and it went EVERYWHERE, I think it might have been in the car?? So yeah you can only put them on at the pool.

We use the Huggies and have never had a problem with them. But I have no idea about cloth ones, sorry.

I have used a plain old fluffies from the salvos for 50c and it worked beautifully. You can get them from K Mart I think, and they are about $12. They are just a little lined pair of speedos. Keeps the poo in, and thats all they do.
    I also have a pair of funky bumz from NZ, and these are really great. They are lycra on the outside, and microfleece on the inside, and have double gussets. They were about $18 to buy I think? really comfy for jenna, and they looked very cute.
    I have just checked the site and the current size we have is 9-18m. Jenna is about 11.5kg, so I will try it on her tonight and let you know how the sizing still is for her.

Um, how would these work with breastfed runny poo? Would I be right in thinking that if they don't contain wee, then they would be no good for runny poo?

angelfish Guest

You're right Anna, they apparently only contain "solids" - so, even worse, if a child has diarrhoea, it'll go right through... Of course, you and I would not take a child with gastro into a public pool, but some people would...
    Then again, I reckon most preschoolers pee in the pool anyway.
    Hmmm, I guess we're very lucky we know someone with a heated indoor pool!

Just as a side note - most swim schools wont take kids until they are 6m old. This could be for 2 reasons - they have had most of their jabs by then, and the breastfeeding poo is being supplemented by solids in most cases, so wont be so runny.
    I have only ever seen one baby do a poo in water, and that was a 1w old baby held by Laurie Lawrence on a Huggies tour for water safety. Considering the nappies were sponsered by huggies, and it nowhere near fitted on the newborn, there wasn't a hope in hell of holding in the poo. It just mixed with the water and it all went brown.
    By the time they are 6-9m old, I think the distraction of the water and what you are doing holds off pooing for some reason.