Thread: Are these signs he's ready for toilet training?

Default Are these signs he's ready for toilet training?

DS is only 17mos so I know it is very early to be thinking about this. But with lo#2 due in 12 weeks it would be nice to at least have a start on toilet training. I am told it is difficult with a baby around bcos the toddler will always want to go when you are feeding etc and can't help.

DS has been interested in the toilet for months now and watches us go. At day care he washes his hands after having his nappy changed, at home he often wants to wash his hands after nappy change too, and also after I go to the toilet when I am washing my hands. Now in the last week he has started walking into the bathroom to flush the toilet himself.

I am not entirely sure but it seems that he knows when he is weeing. He sometimes does it when he gets in the bath and it seems that he waits until he is standing in the bath and then does it before he sits down.

From other people's experiences does this seem like he might be ready to try toilet training or should I wait a little longer? BTW DS has reached all milestones early and apparently his comprehension is advanced for his age. So maybe he might be ready earlier than other boys??

Help please!!
    Melanie

Both my neices were TT by 18 months, Mackenzie is just starting but we have tried a few times. I found that she tells me when she is doing it, she pulls her nappy off when she had done a poo (even though I explain to her that if she tells me before we can sit on the toilet etc) or she runs to the toilet but of course by the time we get on it's all over! I'm using the towelling knickers this week and offering the toilet every hour or so and we have only had one successful trip so far- I know she's ready but she is too busy doing other stuff to go to the toilet. Why not give it a go and if it dosn't work try again later when more signs are there? I think the huggies site has some good 'ready to tt' signals on it too. Although you will get plenty of advice from the BB girls too!

I know that with my niece she trained pretty quickly after she began to take a major interest in toilet activities (but she was just over two). She'd insist on going and watching everyone who went, would hand toilet paper, would wash hands...

I look after her 4 days a wk so i was the primary person to train her. I found that once i'd bought her the toddler seat to go on the toilet (she was definately not interested i a potty "that's for babies" she'd say and would want to sit where the big people do) and a little stool so she could get off and on herself it only took a fortnight or so to master.

I just made sure i didn't get cross when she had an accident and even though she'd gone i'd sit her on the toilet to reinforce it.

I also let her pick some of her own 'special' undies, which she thought were soooooo pretty - and she'd hate weeing in them so that definately helped her to go on the loo. She still had a nappy or pull ups for bed but eventually she was able to wake herself up enough to go then too.

Good luck - it's great that ur trying now!

My son is 16 months & we just bought a potty today (he's carry round as I type LOL). I find that every time he is naked he will stop look down then take a step back just before he goes so it seems as though he knows when he's about to wee. He will also bring me a new nappy if there's one in his reach whenever he wants it changed.

Sorry I'm not much help, but just wanted to say it looks like we're going down the TT path too very soon *eep*

It sounds like he is starting. Matilda has been telling us she has wee'd after the fact for the last 4-5 months now and really loves toilet time (she has it at night after her bath & in the mornings when getting dressed) so far its all a game & roll play but we let her have the game. She hasn't done anything on the toilet in months LOL... She's been stripping all her clothes off lately & saying "toilet hurry" and I rush her in, and its all a game. I think because someone at day care is TT atm and she is learning off him.

I find the whole thing a bit scary and was worried about starting in winter, but we are letting her play with it atm. Unfortunately most of the time when she tells us its time to go to the toilet she has just gone in the nappy seconds before. So I think she's started to understand it, but figuring out that it is happening ahead of time is the problem.

So maybe he is almost ready? And the best thing is not to discourage him and let him lead you on this for a little while. Everyone keeps saying to me that she will regress once this baby is born and to wait until later, but I'm thinking it may be better to start thinking about it earlier ykwim? I'm going out tomorrow to buy some thick underpants for around the house to use... and we will train while at home, not during sleep times, and not make a huge deal about it yet. Goodluck!

Thanks guys. I'll go with the flow (so to speak) and see where it leads!

I just wanted to share our progress. For the last few days Jack has been flushing the toilet when he's got a dirty or wet nappy and also asking (insisting in fact) to sit on the toilet but once there not doing anything. Then this morning he woke up dry (usually he is very wet). After he'd woken properly I asked him if he wanted to go to the toilet and he ran there. I undressed him and sat him on and he did a big wee. And he clearly knew what he was doing!! I'm so excited that he is getting it so easily, although I know we have a long way to go. Like Christy said I'm sure he'll regress when the baby arrives, but it seems that it must be a good start if he at least recognises that he needs to go, and that the toilet is the place to do it. Wish me luck!!

OMG Melanie, that's fantastic