Thread: Toilet Training

Default Toilet Training

Ok a while back I posted that Matilda had poo'd on the toilet three times in one week, but hadn't done any wees. We decided to put her on every night after a bath but not push things and then we basically got a bit lazy & she didn't push it so we didn't... and we went on holidays overseas.

We've been back a week now and today has been very weird. I'm trying to follow her lead... she will run to the toilet door & open it & run to the toilet & frantically try to rip off her nappy, so I take it off for her & pop her on the toilet to find that she's just done a wee in the nappy and does the tiny end bit in the toilet. I've been giving her heaps of praise & making hand wash time really exciting because I feel like this is huge progress towards TT.

The thing is we've also now had tantrums about getting off the toilet, and getting the nappy put back on. When I try to put a new nappy on her she screams & runs away & hits and yells when I try to get it on her. I was thinking getting some pull ups for day time use at home now so she gets used to the idea of "big girl pants" ...

Any other ideas?

Christy if you sense she's ready to give it a go, I'd suggest leaving her nappy and undies off completely while you're at home. This will help her start to recognise what the "start" of the wee feels like, IYKWIM, and help her to get to the toilet on time.

Be prepared for a few accidents and a bit of a mess, but it worked for my two.

Good luck!

ah ok, now we have a crazy week ahead, should I just do it when at home & use nappies as normal when out?

This morning she had a nappy off for 2 hours and was nudie rudie in & out of her wading pool and in the shower with me & during the shower she squatted over the drain and wee'd and resented getting dressed but we were on our way out and I dressed her as normal & she did not do any wee's for the next 2 1/2 hours while we were out...then when we got home she had her nap & when she woke up was when she ran to the toilet, so most of today has been nappy off day while at home... so it sounds like I'm doing okay

Melinda Guest

I haven't been down this path yet. But a friend of mine has been going through it recently with her DD. She went down the path of using the pull-ups and would ask her very frequently during the day (and I mean very frequently!) whether she needed to go the toilet and kept taking her (even if she did nothing) just so that she got used to going to the toilet and so wasn't afraid of going etc etc (this was all after she started showing an interest in going to the toilet etc etc). Before long, she was saying "toilet" or "wees" or "poos" of her own accord and my friend would take her and voila!

Something I have read is that the time in between when they realise they need to go and when they actually do go is very very short - they don't have the same level of control as we do IYKWIM? So I think perhaps that's where the pull-ups can be good whilst you're out and about? I've also read that where you let them have their nappy off, sometimes they develop problems when they start wearing underwear etc as they're not used to that sensation and so start having accidents?

Maybe you could use pull-ups whilst out (and do the nappy off thing whilst home), and ask her frequently if she wants to go and see what happens?

Again, I've not been through this so I'm just quoting stuff I've read (so feel free to disregard any of it!) and sharing my friend's story!!!

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have success!!

ah okay...I have been asking her if she needs the toilet & she runs for it everytime, so maybe I'll make more of an effort to do the toilet placement

This morning she ran for the toilet & got on it & when I started to take off her nappy she was doing a poo.... so I put the poo in the toilet & then wiped her so she would associate that as well.

All sounds like it's going well Christy...

YAY to Matilda!!!

Yeah she still keeps just missing it and we have been busy & DH wasn't willing to have a go on his own because I worked all weekend, but this arvo she ran to the toilet & pulled everything off & sat singing songs on the toilet So cute!! At her family day care now Matilda gets to sit on the toilet with the rest of the big kids during toilet time and she loves it! She's done 2 wees on the toilet there....YAY!