Thread: Toilet training- what to do in public places.

Default Toilet training- what to do in public places.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions, I have a DS who is 2.5, two weeks ago i started toilet training him and he is going really really well.(I am very proud of him).
    However, I am unsure of what to do when i go to the shops. Do I put a nappy on him until we get home or do I take him out with his underpants on and encourage him to use public toilets when we are out?
    Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated. Leah

Hi Leah

I had the same questions not long ago. I started slowly. trip to a nearby park, over to mums etc I made sure he went to the toilet before leaving as well and is now in that habit. After a few successful small journeys out we tackled the shops for 1hr and he was fine. We did it again a few days later and asked him if he needed to go to the toilet, if he said yes we would take him and if he said no we would continue on. Then when we were out he started asking when he had to go, so now we have had no dramas and he now spends all day (cept nights) in jocks no matter where we go.

Love

Ashlea was the same as Kameron, me and mum took her out for the first time in jocks, and made her go to the toilet before we left, then constantly kept asking her if she needed to go to the toilet. She got the hang of toilet training really quickly and has been toilet trained thought the night aswell for quite a few months.
    Just keep reminding them and if you need to, just take them to the toilet and sit them on it, usually they'll do a wee once they are on the toilet!
    Good luck!!!

Astrolady, thanks we have done exactly what you did with your DS, like to park and nursery just to name a few, they were only short trips and we came home dry so that was good.
    But I knew I would be out for a few hours today I wasn't sure what was the best way to go. Think I will continue with the smaller trips for a bit longer and as he progresses to the stage where he is telling me he needs to go I will not use the nappies exept for nights.
    How old was your little one when you started training?

He actually started training himself at the start of last winter, so around 2yrs and 8mths old roughly, but it was a long and slow process cause we let him do everything in his own time.

Love

Dee,
    I am constantly asking Aaron if he needs to go to the toilet, he may say no but I sit him on anyway and 9 times out of 10 he will do a wee. He's not so sure of no.2's but has done two on toilet so far.
    Sounds like Ashlea's going really well even trained through the night is fantastic. What a champion.