Thread: TTing and no speech.

Question TTing and no speech.

Tank had his yoo gabba gabba jocks on. He woke this morning crying and when changing his bottom we noticed 2 blisters around his scrotum so thought that we would try some jocks on him. He has shown some interest in the toilet over the last few weeks....eg noticing when he urinates, wanting to get on the public toilet when MIni me has gone.

Our problem is that his speech is limited. Im use to the other children telling me when they needed to go by saying wee/poo/toilet KWIM.

How does one get around something like this? Has anyone had to deal with something simular?

S pats her bum and takes me into the toilet. (usually right after the incident. ) Can you watch him for his own way of non-verbal communication?

Maybe you could set up your own system of sign language for using the toilet? I'm sure that he probably has his own little ways to communicate it and you could probably use them to your advantage.

Haven't experienced it myself yet hun but is there any way you can 'lead' him to use a particular 'signal', so maybe teach him to pat his bottom (as junglemum mentioned) or is there a part of the potty that comes out that he can maybe bring to you to show he needs to go? (obviously wont work in public though).

I'm sure you guys will find the perfect solution that works for you all, your doing an amazing job (as always) hun, keep up the great work.

I would just watch Max like a hawk for his 'wee dance'....he would kinda do a weird kinda wiggle thing...his walk would kinda change.....that is when i'd take him to the toot!

J babe - WOW at S!!! that is unreal, girls are so much quicker then boys..man V was the same but verbal at the age. Dont know if him patting his bum is the way to go here...its one of his dance moves BUT Trillian I think your onto something. Ive been using sign language with him which has helped heaps so will be doing the toilet sign from now on.

thanks guys...I just needed that little kick up the rectum

I TT with ASD kids who have no language or limited pragmatic language. We tend to use visual communication - makaton (simplified sign language) or visuals (pictures). The makaton sign for toilet is to touch the index finger of one hand to the side of your palm on the other hand (hard to describe but you could probably find a pic of it online). Doesn't really matter if it's the makaton sign though, just whatever he can easily do that is clear to you both - so patting his nappy or something might be clear too. Then every time you mention the words toilet, wee or poo, do the sign yourself and if he's ok with it, help him to do the sign too.

If he seems to be ready to ask to use the loo spontaneously, then you can also put a visual (or 10!) at easily accessible places. You can get a pic of a toilet from the boardmaker program but could also just print a pic from google images or draw your own. We tend to stick these at little-people height on velcro dots. Teach him to get the pic and pass it to you. Then say "oh, you need to go to the toilet" and take him straight away. This can be a bit more laborious than a simple hand sign but works for some kids as they like the pics and you can make it into a bit of a game (eg. as soon as you've got the card, go "hooray!!! QUICK! Let's RUN to the toilet and do a big wee!!!" And make it a very exciting and rewarding process).

As long as they're ready and motivated, kids with limited language will eventually learn just to toddle off and take themselves to the toilet if they can't get the message across. But it is tricky to get this established in the early stages. Unfortunately it just requires very close observation (looking for the signs and regular times that they'll need to go), patience, persistence, and a good washing machine! All the best Maz and go Tank!!

ETA - just saw your post... perhaps the nappy-pat is not the way to go, unless you want him to communicate that he wants to get down and boogie!

Santosha - yes we've used Makaton here for quiet a few years as Mario is on the spectrum and it helped us in so many ways in the early days. We're not into the boards here though....they didnt work with Mario and Id prefer to get speech going KWIM then have him centralised on the board and posting it when he's finished. He is jsut starting to verbalise now and I really want to build on it so I feel the board will make him go backwards. The whole process would become more about the game then actually going to the toilet. Thanks so much for the suggestion though and I hope that anyone reading this thread can see what a great advantage signing is for toddlers, and if in doubt themselves can take on the instructions (which are excellent by the way ) and hopefully help their child.

We have been signing it with him all morning and he actually shock his head NO when I did it to him so im taking that he understands it.

Little steps makes km's in the long run

thanks guys your all bloody gem's