Thread: TTing - what do you do in public?

Question TTing - what do you do in public?

DD1 is not quite 2, we have been letting her sit on her potty before her bath and so far she had gone once, that was find by me she's still quite young and i only want her used to it not particularly using is IYKWIM.

Last night i was getting DD2 undressed for the bath when DD1 said potty, so i took off her nappy and sat her on she said NO and pointed to the toilet, so i sat the potty on the toilet (it's one of those convertible ones), finished getting DD2 undressed and DD1 goes YAY.. sure enough i had a look and she had done wee's!

Have a bath, get her out and dressed and about to get DD2 when she's at the bathroom door pointing and saying 'ginny' then she crossed her legs and said mum, mum potty!
    So i thought why not, off came her Pj's and nappy and she had done a little wee i figured she asked for the potty so i still put her on, got DD2 out and dressed and DD1 goes YAY again, sure enough ANOTHER WEE!

So now i have decided that if she asks to go no matter what i am doing or where we will go to the potty, if she is learning to know when she needs to go i will assist where i can.. so my question is:

When your in public what do you do?
    Hold them over the toilet, use the kids toilets in parents rooms, do you take your own little potty under the pram?????

I don't want to put her off going but i don't want to always make her 'hold on' to wait in a queue for a parents room... i'm so not sure how to approach this.

I know she's still very young and i wont be pushing the issue but i want to be prepared.

TIA!

p.s i am so so so so very proud of my little girl for asking for the potty last night

Thats pretty good going for her age - clever little chooken!!!

I didn't take anything for DS, I just hold him sitting on the toilet (cos he's worried he will fall in). So I just hold his thighs and he goes. So far we haven't run into the problem of not getting to a toilet straight away, or one being available, but I keep supplies in my handbag just in case.

I am thinking i will see how she goes and then maybe try some pull ups once she's a bit more 'in-tune' with when she wants to go, then she can have that 'wet' feeling to know whats happened.. do they make them for little midgets though?

Thanks hun i was so so proud of her but not pushing the issue right now.

Clever girl!

Most of the parents rooms now have a big toilet and little toilet for the kids. If I take DS2 to the normal ladies toilet, I just hold onto him or make sure he is holding onto the sides.
    You can get the training pants in various sizes...I assume you are talking about the Huggies ones's with wetness liner? They are only designed for accidents, so I would use a pull up at a play centre as that is the time when he would be the most distracted and just forget Lol.
    I would just carry an extra set of clothes with me (including socks and shoes).

I had a fold up travel kiddy toilet seat that I carried around for DD (she was little and that age too). It came in it's own little drawstring bag and fit well into a nappy bag, or I would just put under the pram (I vaguely recall the brand being Tommy Tippee, but could be really wrong there!). Think I just bought from Big W or woolies.

This seat also made her feel comfortable going anywhere, and like you said, we'd just take her as soon as she asked, wherever we were.

Now I just sit her on the toilet seat, but she was too small at 2 for that to be an option!

As for pull ups, we didn't bother, but totally up to you of course. I had her in undies at home, and fairly quickly she didn't want to be wearing nappies out either, so we just crossed our fingers and went with the undies - with a full set of spare clothes in the car, LOL!

Good luck and well done to your little girl for taking the lead on the toilet training!

Quote Originally Posted by *star* View Post
    I had a fold up travel kiddy toilet seat that I carried around for DD (she was little and that age too). It came in it's own little drawstring bag and fit well into a nappy bag, or I would just put under the pram (I vaguely recall the brand being Tommy Tippee, but could be really wrong there!). Think I just bought from Big W or woolies.

This seat also made her feel comfortable going anywhere, and like you said, we'd just take her as soon as she asked, wherever we were.
    You can get these from Baby Bunting too, they also have a full potty that collapses into a little carry bag, handy for the car and travelling especially for poo.
    It's called a Potette.

Wow i just had a look and one site has that potette for like $20... wonder what they sell for in Baby Bunting.

Quote Originally Posted by *star* View Post
    I have one of these foldable seats for DS. I just really don't like the idea of him sitting on public toilet seats. I bought it BigW for $15. I just chuck it under the pram in a wetbag with a spare pair of pants.

Same price..it's called a Baby U Potette Plus at Baby Bunting, so it's a toilet seat and potty all in one. You can get extra liners for the potty part as well $5.99.
    It has it on their website.

Wow!!! Your DD is pretty amazing

I carry pine-o-clean disinfecting wipes with me and often wipe down the seat in mother's rooms - the toilets in there are generally pretty good though. I tried holding DD over the toilet and it just didn't work, it freaked her out. Also, it empties the bladder more if you actually sit down when you use the toilet so it is a good habbit to teach them to sit.

I also used pull ups for the first little while, but found them a bit overpriced and not particularly helpful. DD still thought of them just like a nappy, they just don't seem to hold as much and we had a few poo-plosions. I am not a huge fan of pull ups and think a regular nappy is probably just as useful, if not more.

Good luck with everything, I hope it all goes smoothly for you

I used to still put nappies on for a little while and then would just hold them over the toilet when out..

yay for your DD asking for the potty.. Well done

She didn't ask yesterday but like i said not pushing the point, will stick with nappies until she's asking regularly and actually going but thought pull-ups might give her a bit more of a 'wet' feel to know she's wee'd... ah well all in good time.

I am looking at putting her into CC, do you think they would help her out or just say she's too young and leaving the TTing up to me at home? I don't want to get her all confident and asking then put her into CC one day a week for her to go backwards.. what if i bought that potette and supplied it, do you think they would use it

Childcare would definitely help and encourage you. Are you looking into a Creche or home based family day care?
    If it's a creche, they will have little kids toilets already installed.
    If it's home based family day care, they would possibly already have a seat to use, other wise you could put it in her bag for that day.

CC are good for assisting, and it actually takes some of the pressure off you

I just used the parent rooms one and if full, a big one while holding her. DD trained really fast though - I can count on one hand the amount of accidents we had while she was training though and she was happy to sit on a loo but I know some kids prefer a potty. If she is happy to sit on a loo I wouldn't worry about buying something yet - maybe see how she goes. I have had to take Iz to the grossest toilets though at the local shops Now I ask her to wait because it's "stinky and horrid and can she please wait" and she holds on!
    I am now looking at DS who is saying wee wee and pot when Iz goes. My CC has already started putting him on the toilet without me asking so I think you will find they are very helpful with it all. Good luck hun! Exciting times!