Thread: What age was your child independant on the toilet?

Question What age was your child independant on the toilet?

A curious question here, we were out at a friends not long ago and they have a 4year old, close to 5 who will be starting school this year. He obviously needed to go to the toilet but was yelling out for help.Im not sure if this is a one off for help or something that happens on a regular basis. Worried me a bit as I personally dont think hes ready for school and thinking about how he would go when at school.

Hence, the question when was you child independant on the toilet, going ones and twos I guess.

My nephew is three and a half and stubbornly refusing to be toilet trained, Caro, so you are not alone!

BW

My older 2 were independent at about 3-5 (1 was 3 & 1 was 5) i think, sometimes needed help in some circumstances IYKWIM as in diahorrea, sorry TMI. i used to keep wipes in the loo so it was easier for them to wipe. but i guess all kids are different and i wouldn't worry if he is still needing help, they all get it eventually.

caro hugs babe please don't stress she will get it eventually, the more stressed parents get about it the less likely kids will learn. i know it must be hard though, zak still wet his pants often at 4, i just put him undies and he would piddle in his jocks. i really tried to just stay calm about it cos i didnt want him to get worried about it or think he did the wrong thing. he did get it eventually but he just needed more time. HTH's

beckles

mooshie Guest

caro don't worry my first two weren't tt till 3 1/2 yrs, my is just over 2 and is nearly there - they are just all so different.

anyway sorry for that back onto topic, my ds used to be fine with wee's by himself but it was always "mum wipe my bottom" after #2's lol, i am sure he was just being lazy tho cause as soon as he started kinder he was fine (that was the age of 4)

now he won't let me going anywhere near him when in the loo lol

Mine are about 6 or so for number 2's as I wash their bums with water. Until they learn to wash with water, and do a good job washing their hands I'd prefer to do it. It's the hand washing thing that gets me the most.

Layla is 5 now and just TT. Woooohoooooooooo!!!!!!!! And she can say toilet, so thats fab. My 2.5yr old is learnining now, but we still have some accidents :eek:

cloud_skye Guest

Hmmm, maybe he only needed help with the wiping (?), but I can understand your concern for him.

My DD is fully independent and she is 2years and 3months. Has been for at least a month. By 'fully' I mean can pull down her pants, get on the toilet, wipe, flush and wash hands. In saying this I have many little steps in the bathroom to help her up and down (and I check her hands religously!), so she is more independent at home than she can be when we are out (depending on the bathroom). But sometimes she still asks me to help, just out of laziness and wanting attention I think!

They are definately all different with this stuff!

oh I am so gald I found this post. caro i am so happy that I too am not the only one and have been really stressing about it no ned especially since Phoenix will be here in about 10 weeks time. Ashlen my little boy is turning 3 on the 18th Feb and is no where near potty training. He just wont tell us when he is needing to go and no mater how hard we try with him, it doesnt prevail. But he is so quick with everyhting else in his learnings. I didnt tell anyone because i WAS SO IMBARREST! I just wanted him in undies by the time Pheen came! All my other other kids were all trained by 2 at the 'latest"!

Oh I am so happy to know it may be normal, lol, and that i am not the only one.

When one of my baby sisters was 3, she would get on the loo on her own but then you would eventually hear a shrill, singsong voice yell out, "I'M FINISHED!!" This was a cue for my parents to go wipe her little botbot!! LOL!!!

My friends little boy is 3&1/2 and only very recently became toilet trained and his mum also keeps wipes in the toilet.

My DD is just past 2 and we're thinking about the whole toilet training thing as tadpole "Squishy" is due in June so thought we might get a head start.....

....so glad I found this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed hey?!?!?!?!? LOL!!!

T is 2.5 and will take off his pants go to the loo e.t.c. but i still wipe his bum , im sure he could do it but i do it for him just to make sure

mrmoo Guest

Caro I'm so glad there another mum my age with a daughter the same age as mine who is also not ready to TT. I've got my girl booked into three year old kinder for second term and am wondering how she's going to cope (and if she's going to be allowed) if she's still not TT. We do attempt it but she's so focused on what she is doing that she just doesn't tell me... although yesterday she finally came to me and told me straight away that she'd done *yukky* (no.2). She's also very dummy reliant too and I'm keen for her to give that up too but atm just can't see the way out. I did notice at Safeway they're selling those little Beanie Bears for $2 each and am thinking of buying one per dummy and want to invent some type of *dummy fairy* where she will give up the dummies in exchange for the little Beanie Bears. WDYT?
    Also with using a reward chart, she doesn't understand that system yet so I don't think that will help. I've got a book on TT and she does look at it but I may have to actually read it to her everyday after her bath. Hmmmm...

Caro don't worry! Mason was refusing to go on the toilet at 3 1/2 and I started him at kider in pullups. I'm sure it was a power game with him.
    By 5 he was totally independant with his toileting but I still have to tell him to go because he holds on if he is busy. He doesn't wet himself but he is surely busting!
    I'm having issues on and off with Angus but they are more to do with regression once Caleb was born.

Nick was fully toilet trained at 2 1/2 and was independant with it from almost the beginning, i always make sure his hands are thouroughly washed, but everything else he does himself, now Ryan is another story LOL

Wow im so glad i saw this thread too.. may DS is being really stubborn with TT and he is better at cc than at home. He still wont tell me when he needs to go and he refuses to do poo in the toilet. I have actually got the potty out again to see if its because he does not like the big toilet but its driving me mad i felt like he was the only 3yo out there not TT.

mrmoo Guest

Miss 3.2 years last night came to us with an index finger in the air saying "yukky"! She is now quite literally showing us she's done poo!!! I've never seen dh move at lightening speed before, scooping her up and running with her to the bathroom holding her at arms length (which would have been difficult because she's quite lanky). She's now finally becoming aware of her body and it's functions and is also using the potty more and more. So yay for us we're on the TT path :-) (finally!)

Maddison was toilet trained day & night & SO independent about it to by 20 months! She just wanted pretty girl undies.. Maddy would grab some wipes before going to the loo, sometimes there'd be skiddies & if there were she'd take those knickers off put them in the wash basket & put new ones on..
    I know my niece at 3 would still wear night nappies & call out during the day to have her bum wiped!?
    I have hadindah sit onj the potty as soon as she could sit unaided to get her used to it & we generally get a wee after her nightly bath/shower & she now syas Poo so we put her on the potty & she will poo...