Thread: What is the best newborn cloth nappy?

Question What is the best newborn cloth nappy?

Getting a little ahead of myself, but I'm planning on using cloth on the next bubba (like there was any other choice! LOL). Caeleb has been wearing Bum Genius, which I'm aware are a one size, but I've been told that they're not overly effective on a newborn. So, I'm going to buy a set of newborn nappies.

What nappy do you use on a newborn bum?

TIA

Celsie...hmmm...should we be looking out for an announcement in the near future

I've wondered the same question too..but now I have got my mum into making nappies so she is going to whip a few nb and small fitteds, honeyboys, pref's and others which will hopefully do the job..Anyway interested in hearing what others say.
    Last edited by StrawberryMumma; May 7th, 2008 at 11:03 AM.

No, no announcement from me Lee.
    Last edited by Celsie; May 7th, 2008 at 08:49 AM.

Celsie I used flanny flats and covers on my DS when he was really little I found all the MCN I had (and I have got lots) all didnt fit really well. I have had him in Bum G and Haute Pockets since he was about 6 or 7 weeks old and havent had a problem with them.

Thanks Ali - that's good to know.

I had Euan in BumG and TotsBots Bamboozles from newborn and they were great. Euan was over 4kg at birth though - might have been different on a smaller bub. Most people wouldn't use pockets/AIOs on a newbie, especially OSFMs.

Flats or prefolds (or fitteds) with a well fitting cover are the most popular choice it seems for the newbies, especially as they poo so often, containment is more important than absorbency.

Quote Originally Posted by suse View Post
    containment is more important than absorbency.
    This is my biggest concern. When I started DS in cloth (he was 3 months), I went straight with Bum Genius, because I was silly and I thought... why would anyone buy a fitted, when a OSFA will do all ages. Yeah... right. The poo leaked out of his legs more times than not in those first few weeks. How many times did I pick him up when we were out shopping, only to find I had poo down my top!

You can adjust a BumGenius (by even folding down the velcro at the front and just fastening by joining the two tabs) so that it goes really really small! We've used them from super young, like a couple of days old, and they've been great! We used them for Riv too as a newie, and we never had a leak with them!

What you get really depends on your budget. I find that by about 4 weeks, babies are starting to reliably fit a size small, and fit nappies like Baby BeeHinds and other fitteds (and BumG's, if they haven't been working before for some reason).

My ultimate newborn money-no-object stash would include nb Whiz Kids (rare as hen's teeth, I was lucky enough to snaffle Willow's), BumG pockets and size 1 Tots Bots Bamboozles.

My realistic newborn stash was a combo of BumG's, prefolds (excellent spew rags after), and sposies (while catching up with washing). And a few size 1 Tots Bots.

At 6 weeks, we fit into BBH Bamboos, size 1 Tots Bots cottons, and size 2 Bamboozles (being bamboo terry, they're a bit more slinky and slim, though still a bit bulky this young), BumG's, prefolds, small BerryPlush, Hautes (I've heard some like these even better than BumG's for nb's)...I think that's all so far...

Unless money's not an object (in which case, go to town with nb sizes, awesome!), perhaps go mostly for ones you'll get some wear out of, since, while fitting nappies are sooo handy in those first few weeks, they grow so quickly that nb nappies aren't really that economical.

Thanks for that one Nelle. Sorry for the delay in replying, I didn't realise you'd replied.

I've been doing some research and I've found some nappies called Kissaluvs. They've got rave reviews everywhere I looked, so I think I'm going to give these a go.

How many would I need for full time use with a newborn?

Depends how often you wash...so if you're me, you need about 400. I've started nicking GreenKids and BBH's from Riv's room cos Si's are in the wash.

Just do the maths for yourself - say 6-8 changes a day (some people are more or less, I think we tend to be on the less side), and how often you'll wash. If you wash daily, then...umm...*nelle thinks*
    you'll need enough for 2 days (12-16)), wear that day, wash and dry the next day. If you wash every second day, you'll need enough for 3 days (18-24). That's assuming that the nappies will dry in one day, bamboo can take awhile. You should be fine if you have a dryer, try drying nappies on the line/clotheshorse and if they aren't dried in time then finish them off in the drier. Otherwise, you might want to allow extra nappies for slow drying days, or when you fall behind with the washing.

I think that's where the prefolds or flats really come into their own, I have the Fitteds, Pockets, AIO's for Si, and when they're out or I can't find one, then I grab a prefold and cover. And the prefolds get used as spew rags and other things too!

Well, these are $15 each, so 24 X 15 = $360. Ouch! LOL - Still better than using disposables. Might ask for a discount for buying in bulk.

Thanks for that Nelle!!!

I can highly recomend a bizy bee newborn snappy nappy. I have 4 of them and they are fantastic.
    here's the description from the site

This nappy is very absorbant and easy to use. Size - 3kg to 7kg.

Outer - White Terry Towelling
    Inner - White Terry Towelling
    Hidden - is a soaker consisting of 3 layers of Hemp Fleece.
    Additional - Snap in Booster of 2 layers of Hemp Fleece topped with terry towelling. Snaps are high qaulity snaps in matching colour/s

they are only $12. you can find them at wahmnaps under bizy bee

Ive jsut tested out her night nappy and its fantastic. Mateuaz wore it for 14 hours (yes he slept for most of it bar a feed) and the top back bit was still dry

Just having a look now. Thanks for that one Maz!

Wow Maz, they sound like something special!

Celsie, I would be cautious about spending that much money on a nappy that you haven't tried - now, if you've tried it and love it and it works well for you then GO for it! But you'll be annoyed if you spend and then hate the nappy. Best to try one and then go from there.