Thread: What to do with flannelette fabric?

Question What to do with flannelette fabric?

Well, I've been in nesting mode lately, and in my cleaning frenzy have come across about 6 metres of flannelette fabric which I think I'd originally intended to make cloth mama pads with. My first attempt (without a pattern or instructions) was a complete failure and I never ended up finding out the right way to do it.

But it occurs to me that maybe I could do something useful with it for baby when he/she arrives. WDYT?
    Are there such things as flannelette prefolds, and do they work? How many layers on the inside third and the outside thirds?
    Would flannelette work for cloth wipes? How many layers?

Any other ideas?

Great! If they only need to be one layer, then I can make HEAPS of them with 6m of fabric lol.

breast pads?
    boosters for nappies.
    prefolds are usually 4-6-4 layers or 4-8-4 layers (middle layer thicker)- but flannellette wont work with a snapy it would need to be pinned or placed pad-folded in a cover (unless you sewed snappiable fabric where the snappy would go?)

lotusmamma Guest

You could make a baby pouch style sling - there are lots of instructions on the internet. You would only need 155cm of the flanalette. That would leave you lots for other things.

I made my own maternity pads out of flanalette on the me side, terry towelling as padding and corduroy on the undies side to stop them slipping. I just made rectangles of various thicknesses and they are the perfect size to use as inserts for newborn nappies. I made mine all neatly finished but really they don't have to be a work of art - just functional.

I also used flanalette as:

- homemade breast pads
    - cloth baby wipes and for the few days post birth I used the wipes myself because it was softer than toilet paper
    - I made a lovely and simple baby quilt for each of my babies out of flannalette squares and it's long wearing and warm.
    - I've made flanalette ECing pads
    - I've made a cover for my baby hammock matress which was just like a pillow slip but the right size.
    - I've also made clothes but they do tend to come off the line really crinkly and I don't iron.

caro go to cloth pads dot org if you want info on cloth menstrual products