Thread: What do you think?

Default What do you think?

I was pondering something today and though i would ask here.

This arvo i was at an appointment and DH had the kids at the shopping centre across the road from where i was. DD needed to go to the toilet but there were no parent rooms there. So DD just had to hold on(which is really hard for a 3yo as you can imagine).

So that made me think, how would a dad take his young daughter to the toilets when in public if he was a single dad or a SAHD etc and there were no parenting rooms? He obviously could not go into the women's toilets and DH said he would never take DD into the men's as they are usually quite dirty and he just would not feel right having her in there, which i agree with.

What do you think?

How odd having no parents room!

In that case though, I would prefer Aaron to take our daughter into the men's toilets over having her hold on. Yeah they're dirty & smelly, but I let him take Alexzander in there so why not our little girl too?? Of course if I was available I'd take little miss into the ladies over Aaron taking her into the men's toilet.

I see lots of men taking their little girls into the mens toilets with them as they don't have a choice otherwise... (if mum isnt with them).. its a shame there is no kids/parents toilets/room.... they should always have one of those in a shopping complex...

You could only imagine what would happen if a male walked into the women's toilets!! even with a child in tow....

Antheia, great topic. DH and I were talking about this a while ago and he always takes Chelsea (who is 5) to the disabled toilet, IF, and only if, there are no parents rooms. The older the child gets the harder it gets. I wouldn't like my daughter going to a mens toilet either, whether they were clean or dirty.

Its a bit disappointing that the shopping centre doesn't have a parents room though.

Yeah, they didnt even have a disabled one otherwise DH would have took her in there.

There is about 3 shopping centres here that have no parent room. Well one does but it does not have a toilet in it, so no use.

I don't so much mind the dirtiness of male toilets, it's more the fact that it's full of men and she is a little girl. There are heaps of creeps out there and it just freaks me out at the thought, however insane that is.

See for me, she is with her daddy that will protect her & it's not like he's going to sit her at the urinal for all & sundry to see. Yeah sure she'd see penis' if there is someone at the urinal, but it's not a big deal for me cos she'd see her dad's & brother's anyway IYKWIM.

But I do totally understand where you're coming from, there are lots of people that feel the same way & it's in no way insane

It depends on the toilet obviously. But I would rather that my kids used the loo even in a mens toilet then have an accident which can be detrimental to TT confidence. Marc has taken her heaps of times and its never been a problem, like I said though it depends on the toilet. If its extremely dodgy then definitely No way. The other thing to is you can get your DH to look around the corner first, and check if the environment or "patrons" are ok for her and then take her in. And then wait for the "patrons" to finish up outside before walking past an empty urinal Sounds like a hassle but once again better than an accident Goodluck!

I would not mind if a father came into the womens toilets with his little girl, its pretty obvious why he is in there. You are not exposed to anything, you cant see anyone (unlike the mens loo) and its a part of life. She, being a girl should be entitled to use the toilet of her gender. I would not like my daughter exposed to a mens toilet when a ladies toilet is available. Great question....

I see where you are coming from Sheba and i agree. But i doubt DH would be comfortable in doing that since he even gets weird looks by women when he is waiting outside the toilets for me. Maybe women here are just paranoid!

I just hope this issue doesn't come again. I think all toilets need a parent room with a toilet inside!